Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #1  

Default Overwhelmed and needing a focus

Please someone give me just a few minutes. I have only recently ever had to worry about weight. But it's crept up on me and now I find myself at 172 and wanting to get back down to 130ish. I'm totally confused by all the diets out there. I don't understand points, fat, cholestorol, calories, sugars, etc. I just want the weight off! What's the simpliest diet that you could suggest that I follow? And are the groups here private and you wait for an invitation or how does that work? I'm already feeling overwhelmed!
Old 06-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #2  

I am far from being an expert here, but the most simple way to me is to count calories, nothing is forbidden, just count it. More calories burned than consumed = wight loss. I'm sorry for this being so short. The groups here are open to everyone, or at least that's how it appears. Just find a spot where you feel comfortable, I lurke a whole lot more than I post. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #3  

Dear Overwhelmed and Needed a Focus,
You're not alone...even us veterans of Battle of The Bulge get overwhelmed and confused...

Most all the forums here have "Stickys" (the first threads you see when you enter a "room") that give somewhat of a general description of the Way of Eating...

Calories In, Calories Burned is the most basic... (see www.hackersdiet.com)
I watch the calories and do South Beach Diet. "SBD" focuses on whole foods, whole grains, fruit ,vegetables, lean meats... no real sugar or refined carbs like white flour or bread... it focuses on keeping your blood sugar at a constant level ..

"Lurk" a bit, read the stickies in each room, read the success stories etc and visit the daily chat threads... You don't need an invitation, its not clickish all it takes is a post to say hi, and you will be welcomed with open arms, words of wisdom and tons of support! As we say at the "Beach", come on in the Water is warm!

Good luck 2 u
Old 06-22-2005, 12:24 AM   #4  
LBTEPA

I think the main thing is to not try and do everything all at once - the weight didn't come on in a week, did it? Changing your habits one at a time, little by little is the way. I liked WW because they explained things really clearly (counting points was easier for me b/c the numbers were smaller than kilojoules LOL).
After a year on WW and 6 months on my own, I think the simplest, easiest "diet" is to replace processed/energy dense foods with unprocessed foods (as natural as possible) as far as you can manage, exercise as often as you can and drink a lot of water. Works for me! Try and think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet.
Anyway, welcome!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:42 AM   #5  

Thank you for the advice. Today is THE day I decided to start. Small changes that I can maintain. I'll be replacing my soft drinks with water. I *know* that's a good thing. I have a fruit snack for later today. I think I'll just start with old fashioned calorie counting. That seems comfortingly familiar for me.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #6  

I agree that starting small is a reasonable approach. Another thing that helped me was always having prepped vegetables around (baby carrots, sliced pepper strips, etc.) That way I could take 2 baggies of veg. to work and it would be an easy snack.

My downfall is anything salty. My goal this week is to avoid salty snacks on the designated days (which I wrote in my WW diary--I have been a WW Lifetime member since Nov. 2004). There are some good things about the WW program but the support on the boards here is also great. People are very welcoming and accepting.

Best wishes with your fresh start!
Closed Thread