Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #1  

Default Nursing home dilemma

Yes, I'm in a nursing home and gaining weight...on "institution" food! They weigh me on an antiquated chair scale, my back to the measuring arm, and the CNA's tell me my weight. Apparently, this is the only type scale in the facility. But I suppose I can't blame the scale. My weight does not change very much, either up or down, even though I have been somewhat successful in cutting down my consumption of high
calorie snacks. I have Parkinson's and most of the medications I take can possibly cause weight gain. Many of the meals offered are not very appealing, and lately I have been using a "healthy" frozen meal (Amy's, Ethnic Gourmet) as replacement for supper. For snacks, or lunch substitute, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, apples, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, all of which have proven satisfying. There is no "resident kitchen" making preparation of appetizing and healthy foods impossible.

When my meds are working, I am able to ambulate and function "normally". I've started a walking program around the grounds (since last Thursday) and am making every effort do this on a daily basis.

My current weight is 219-1/2 pounds on a 5'3" frame. And I've progressed to 22W shirt sizes and G-d only knows what size pants, although I can still fit into my "large" (14-16) slacks.

So, that's the story, Morning Glory, that's the word, Humming Bird. This is going to be difficult and I'm so glad that I found this forum.

Goal Weight: 141
Old 06-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #2  
Losing it!

Welcome wild west gal! Bless your heart, you have medical problem to deal with too. Please try to do only what your body will allow and not do too much too soon. Also, don't get discouraged if the weight doesn't drop as fast as you would like, medication probably will play a role. It sounds like you are on the right path choosing the low calorie foods and frozen meals. Do you use a walker or cane? Again, please try to take baby steps instead of huge strides in the beginning... I wish you the very best!!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #3  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I am the Activity Director in a nursing home... maybe I can offer some advice. I'm assuming you are in a regular nursing home, not an assisted living facility-- their rules/ regulations (asst. living, that is) are different.

First of all, talk to the diet technician or dietician and tell them that you are unhappy with your weight. The facility is required, per federal regulations, to talk to YOU about your diet and what you want/ don't want. They are also required to attempt to meet your needs-- so if you're having to buy your own frozen dinners because the food isn't what you want in terms of calories and such, something is very wrong. If they have offered you numerous choices and you still prefer frozen dinners, that's different, but, they should have tried several options first. After all, food is a part of the fees you pay to stay there, and they are required to have appropriate personnel on staff to see that you receive adequate nutrition.

In your care plan (also required in skilled facilities) there should be a weight loss plan written by your diet tech or dietician. This is generally written and stored in a book or your chart-- you have a right to read it at any time. If there's not one written about your desire to lose weight, find out why. If there is, ask to review it and go over the details that are important to you--- healthy snacks, etc.

Also, are you involved in physical therapy? Occupational therapy? A rehab exercise program? Does the Activity department offer any exercise classes? Walking clubs?

I hope that helps some-- best wishes!!

Last edited by AmyMCGS; 06-19-2005 at 03:42 PM. Reason: to add the bit about therapy
Old 06-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #4  

Thank you gdeann and Amy for your advice and support. I met with the dietitian and the head of physical therapy when I first moved to this facility. They set up a meal plan and an exercise routine for me, but I didn't follow through with either of them. The weight loss plan was based on supposedly smaller portions, but controlled amounts of unappetizing food didn't work for me. Neither did the workout schedule involving the use of machines. I'm always looking for a plan "I can live with", and that's MY problem. I've had weight issues all my life; in fact when I started taking Sinemet for my PD, I lost 80 lbs."without even trying". Not a good thing for a foodie. I think I'll wander over to the Journal Community and try my luck at keeping a log of my daily battle with myself.
Closed Thread