Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #1  
Scott

S/C/G: 290/290/200

Default Going to Ottawa this weekend...

Anyone have any good suggestions as to where to go or what to see (and where to dine???) I have never been there before so I don't know the first thing about the place......I've seen a few folks on here from them Northern Parts - so I figured I'd ask my new friends!

In more slimming news....I am kicking *** and taking names this week so far (ya ya ya, it's only tuesday, I know...but I didn't do very well over the weekend...AGAIN! so, it's good to know I'm back on track!) However, I'd like to know if any others out there are as tied to the stupid scale like I am. I just can't seem to pass by a scale without weighing myself....I THANKFULLY don't have one at home...but there's one in the nurses office at my school that I work at and there's one at the Gym....and I seem to be on one of them...atleast once a day!!! It's kinda like watching paint dry as I am consantly looking for the slightest movement in the scale.....UGH!! I know it's bad, and I know I'm really not accomplishing anything by it....but I just can't seem to pull myself away from it...

Also, if anyone wants a GREAT workout, use the Walk Away the Pounds....I did it with my wife yesterday and it was A LOT tougher than I thought it would be....I usually jog a mile a day (not world record speed mind you) so I thought that the WATP would be easy....WRONG!! I sweat my keester off and really got an aerobic workout. I am (sorta) looking forward to doiing it again tonight....my wife said (yah...she's the boss in our family) we are going to do the 3 mile one tonight....so I might need a Dr. By the end of the night!
Old 03-23-2004, 01:47 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm Ottawa born and bred although I don't live there now. Where will you be staying and are you going to have a car? What kind of things do you like to do? I know two other chicks who live there now who may be able to help.
Shopping? the Rideau Centre
Market arts and crafts - Byward Market
Ethnic foods - Somerset Street
Skiing - Gatineau Park
Old 03-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Where are you staying in Ottawa? If you can make it to the downtown core you can visit Parliament Hill, The National Art Gallery, The Mint, The War museum, The Museum of Civilization.

The Byward Market has a lot of galleries, shops, street vendors, restaurants and bars as well as a a shopping mall called the Rideau Centre right on Rideau Street - it has a movie theatre in it althoug some what small as most of the multiplex theatres are in the burbs. All of the places I mentioned are within walking distance of each other.

Nearby is a street called Elgin that attaches to Rideau Street and it also has shops and restaurants on it. The canal runs right through the middle of the downtown core - beautiful! And the National Arts Centre is also on Elgin if you want to take in a play or symphony performance.

There is a street not far from that area called Bank Street which also has lots of little shops and restaurants and connects to Somerset Street. Somerset Street is our little Chinatown and has Chinese shops, restaurants, markets and bubble tea shops. As well as Indian and Middle Eastern shops. It connects to Preston Street which is "Little Italy" and has a lot of Italian cafes and restaurants on it.

Here are a couple of websites for you....http://city.ottawa.on.ca/visitors/index_en.html

http://www.ottawakiosk.com/

Some of my favorite restaurants -
Chinese - Royal Treasure House - Somerset Street
Indian - Nagina on Rideau Street
Nouveau Mexican - Blue Catus - Byward Market
Pub - The Highlander pub on Rideau Street
Thai - Royal Thai on Dalhousie Street
Seafood - The Old Fish Market - Byward Market

Hope you enjoy your trip!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:04 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks, Mauvais. You know I am not au courant with Ottawa. I was hoping you'd pop in.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #5  

You know me too well Ruthxxx
Old 03-23-2004, 02:31 PM   #6  
Scott

S/C/G: 290/290/200

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!! I am not sure where I am staying (it's with my wife's realatives) but I sent her the link you suggested and she IMMEDIATLY sent me a response back saying how she wants to go shopping on Byward ST....and knowing her passion to shop....I'm sure we will end up doing A LOT of shopping. She's got a cousin (#4 Chris Phillips) who plays for the Senators....So I am going to find out if they are in town or not....being a HUGE hockey fan....I'd like to make it to a game if they are in town....other than that....I am excited that you reccomended an indian resturaunt as I love indian food....so I will look that place up....WOW TOO MUCH TO DO!!!!!

Again....THANKS for your tips.....I am SOO looking forward to going!
Old 03-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #7  

You are welcome!

The Rideau Centre has lots of chain stores and two department stores - The Bay and Sears. There is an amazing jewellery shop on the first floor called Epochs that has some lovely and unusual pieces. The market is more boutique shopping and independently owned shops that have neat things - Sussex Street has the American Embassy on it and the National Art Gallery as well as some cute clothing stores, a shop called Ginger and Bears which sells ginger products like cookies, jams, candy etc and teddy bears, next door to that is an amazing shop called Chilly Chiles which sells all different hot sauces and fiery foods like curries, chutneys, spice rubs and bbq sauces. There are also giftware shops like ZONE, Christmas and Candles and Nicholas Hoare bookshop. On Murray Street there are some gallery shops selling hand crafted giftware and art. You can find Sussex by looking for the big Chapters store on Rideau Street - it is almost right on the corner of Rideau and Sussex.

Right in the middle of Byward Market is the Market building - large short brown building- where there are different food stalls - Morrocan, Chinese, Italian, Indian, Sushi etc. and some stalls that sell giftware, clothing, jewellery, a tea shop, a chocolate shop and a store that sells only Canadian made products. If you make it to Dalhousie Street ( near Rideau) check out Stubbe Chocolates - this shop is owned by a nice German family who hand makes all the chocolates and cakes in the shop - you can have a slice of cake and coffee or tea there and there chocolate truffles are to die for - even better than Godiva (well in my opinion anyway )

The market is like a big grid or square so all of those streets are in the same walking area. Have fun

Oh if you go to the Indian Place - "Nagina" there is a dish called Chicken Methi which is really good!

P. S. We love the Sens! - Go Sens Go!
Closed Thread