Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/166/120

Height: 5'1

Default Hi all!

Hello! This is my 3rd day on the forum and thought I might introduce myself!

I'm 30 (about to turn 31 end of Jan.) and am interested and motivated to lose about 50 lbs. I don't have a time frame in mind... and this is my first attempt at weight loss. I guess I'll have to watch my loss trends and figure out mini-goals along the way.

I'm currently just under 170 lbs, at at 5'1 that puts me in the obese category. I wear a size L or 12/14 US.

The numbers are not what bother me so much, it's actually how I feel. I hear a lot of body positive people say "be comfortable in the skin you're in"... but what if you are physically uncomfortable? I have pain and numbness in my arms from increased weight, and I can't comfortably fit in clothes. I put on most of my weight in by abdomen, and currently, I look as if I'm 6 months pregnant (I'm not.) I have trouble sleeping at night due to the arm-circulation issue, and the new skin-on-skin feeling in certain areas that were never there before.

I don't have a family history because I was adopted at birth, but in my research, I learned that people to keep the most fat in the areas that I do tend to have higher risk of heart disease. That's a huge motivating factor, as well. I got a 23 & me kit for Xmas and am excited to get that process started (it's the one that also has some health indicators).

Another huge motivator for me is that my husband and I are thinking about trying to have a baby in the next year or so. I'm not sure how much is recommended to lose before having a baby, but I know if I got pregnant now, I would have to put my weight loss goals on hold (and potentially have to start over with a larger number).

I'm from Chicago, IL, USA and have my masters in clinical psychology, although right now I am unemployed due to my own mental health struggles (which are also a factor in my weight gain). I'm participating in the 100 club January daily weigh-in thread and some other threads. Hoping to make some friends and compare/contrast strategies.

Nice to meet you all!
tinypixiexoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Welcome! As it being your first go be prepared for struggles! You will find most people here can relate! Everyone needs to find what works for them and for me it's calorie counting. Sticking to one type of food (Like Atkins) is very tough for me, so for accountability and motivation calorie counting has been best for me. Over the years that I have been on and off again dieting I have learned to cook much healthier....food swapping high calorie for low calorie foods. It's my portions that get me in trouble when I'm not dieting.....and my love of wine and beer....mostly...and lack of physical activity. Alas, all these things eventually lead to a regain for me. We are also going to be trying for kids within the year or two. (I'll be 33 in Feb). My husband is pretty good about eating healthy with me, although we're bad with the if they're drinking a drink I want one too thing..calories calories calories. Mind you, I've worked to keep lower calorie drinks around too, but it's just too much calorie wise for weight loss. I sound like a drunk! But low calorie diets leave little room for splurging! We love to travel a lot too..whether we take off for a weekend or do a quick week getaway......or 3 weeks at times for our big trips. Those seem to be the biggest interrupters. I lost a good 15 lbs the first time coming here. I felt great, looked great (could have gone for more) but we went to Europe......food food beer wine cheese beer cheese wine food...yes, and then coming home we were completely out of funk. Summer was there and we started projects outside, kept drinking beers, and I gained it back slowly. It's been a struggle since then. I go back and forth a lot. Unfortunately I have not had any major weight loss since before my wedding which was more than 4 years ago. I have lots of excuses, like everyone...but I can say the good thing of all this dieting is that I have merged those healthier recipes and eating habits permanently. If it wasn't for my better cooking I would have put on 3 x the weight, I grantee it. So, as I still need to cut back and maintain better after weight loss I can't say that it's a complete fail. Life is fluid and things change making it hard to maintain habits. We all have different motivators and levels of motivation. Live and love your life best you can, take a few extra minutes to take care of yourself every day if you can.

And I totally relate to the clothes not fitting.....as I sit here with my work pants unbuttoned....
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/166/120

Height: 5'1

Thank you, JudgeDread (cool name btw).. it sounds like we have some things in common. Similar weights, too!

You don't sound like a drunk, you sound like me! (ha).. Over the years, my husband and I have become accustomed to having a beer or wine with dinner, to serve cocktails when we have friends over, to visit craft breweries or wineries when we travel. But it does pile up- literally for me. The fat I have on my stomach is likely from all the alcohol over the years.

I'm also pretty sedentary which is complicated by my depression. Every day I think "if I could only just get on that treadmill" but then I feel tired and achy... We've even paid for a gym membership for a year and only went the first time. LOL.

I gained most of my weight since my wedding... 4 years ago (weirddd), but I think that goes with just having a good time with my husband, eating, drinking, enjoying one another. But it stops being fun when I've become unhealthy.

This is my first time trying to lose weight, so thank you for the heads up that there will be set-backs and regains. I'm trying to lose about 4 lbs by my birthday on Jan. 30. Hoping!

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome.
tinypixiexoxo is offline   Reply With Quote