Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178.8/178.8/150

Default Cancer survivor

Hello!
I'm new! Just starting my weight loss journey. I went through chemo, radiation and several surgeries in the last year which have caused me to gain a lot of weight. They don't always tell you that! It's a combination of hormonal changes, stress and just trying to survive. I'm not able to exercise much right now due to a big surgery I had 3 weeks ago. Any suggestions? Fellow survivors?
I'm so ready to get on with life!

Last edited by Thundercat68; 10-13-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Thundercat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Hello and welcome to 3FC! So glad to hear you are a cancer survivor and now on the path to better health! I am not a fellow survivor, although I have several in my family.

For weight loss, exercise isn't essential. It's helpful, but diet alone is 90% of weight loss anyway. My personal suggestion, based on what works for me, is dumping all processed foods and most carbs and eating a nutritious whole foods diet based on the Whole 30, the Primal Blueprint, or Paleo. Reduction in carbs results in a reduction in insulin, insulin is the hormone which transfers extra calories to your fat stores, and while insulin is high in the blood you can't burn fat because you can't simultaneously burn fat and store fat. So reducing insulin is key to fat loss.

For exercise, can you do some gentle walking? I find outdoor walking to be incredibly restorative, and if I can also plan my walk on a hilly route, it's also good exercise. When you can get back into more demanding workouts, a good blend of HIIT cardio and resistance training can keep your metabolism revved up.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #3  

Welcome!
msmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote