Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #1  

Default Hello!

Hey everybody. My name's Ree and I'm new to this site.

I'm here because I need some support. I'm extremely overweight. I've been chubby my whole life but over the last few years, it's as if I've stopped trying. I do less and less as time goes on, exclude myself as I either can't physically join in or am uncomfortable, and have gotten myself into a situation that needs to be fixed. I'm tired of my body rubbing together. I want to be healthy. I want to stop being miserable. I know that if I don't do something, I won't live a long life. I want to be confident and happy. I know that weightloss isn't going to fix all of that, but it's a large part of what is bringing me down.

I've been doing an exercise routine with my sister for almost a month. We meet up the same time everyday, she does her thing and I do mine. I've researched what to do but I'm just going by what I can find and I don't know if it's right. I've been eating better, but I need to figure out a meal plan that is healthier.

If anyone has tips on how to really get going, I'd appreciate them. I want to start loosing weight in my stomach and legs. I'd also like to find some long term friends on here that I can talk to.

Have a good day!
tweidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome Ree! At least you have a partner to exercise with, sometimes it doesn't make it as daunting to enter a gym or go on your own. One thing you can do with your sister is to create challenges for one another. Maybe if you walk, up your time or add a 1/2 mile. For food - I am not the best one as I have dabbled here and there with various diet plans. The one I have had more luck with is making sure there is exercise and counting my calories. The other has been trying to continue to embrace what I learned when I had gestational diabetes. I had to make sure I had 3 meals a day and two snacks, and watched my carb intake. Usually pairing my carb with a protein. But I know for myself that when I add exercise, the weight moves off a bit quicker than not. My goal this time is to loose it FINALLY, but it all takes time.

If you have access to a clinic, it wouldn't hurt to be referred to a dietician who can work with you on a food plan and actually help you understand portion sizes (did this too when I had GD) it's amazing what you think is the correct size really isn't. And if you are using the gym, see if a trainer is worth meeting with even if one time, maybe they can give you a simple plan to follow as you begin. I have never used one but I know of others that have had luck with that.

Good luck on your journey! BTW - you have pretty eyes in your photo - play them up on your journey - we all need to embrace those things we like of ourselves. Keep up the good work, you can do this!

Last edited by lemonthyme; 08-09-2017 at 08:10 AM.
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

I'll tell you what my doctor told me in my 20's and at the time I thought he was full of it, but he turned out to be 100% right: "You lose weight with diet, you get fit with exercise." Your exercise efforts are great, but must be coupled with a good diet plan. I know you're asking about that, and IMO diets are pretty individual. Some people love calorie counting, or points (WW). Some like using portion containers. Some prefer to go low carb. What works for one person may not work for you, either because it makes you feel totally deprived or because you hate the food. I found success with portion control and lower carbs. I'm super sensitive to carbs so I have to be careful. I don't eat any processed foods at all so that makes it a little easier to go lower carb. But if you're someone who loves carbs and can't live without them, that won't work for you. You have to decide what you're willing to give up...and what you aren't. And then pick a plan that works around that, that way you're building in success and not failure.

Good luck!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 168/166/112-117

Height: 5'5

I'm sick of my thighs rubbing together too. Welcome aboard
scoobysnackz is offline   Reply With Quote