Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #16  
slow and steady is ok

S/C/G: 318.6/279.2/190

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Jenna! You are more than welcome to join us. We are both just getting back in the correct mindset for weight loss, so you are just in time. You are right at the start weight I was at when I started losing weight 2 years ago, and we are almost the same height. I lost a little over 70 pounds in 9 months last time, but then I started eating everything I loved in huge portions so here I am. It's okay though. With motivation and support from Missie and you, I know I can make good decisions again. Regarding the plane, you will be fine. I carry most of my weight in my hips, thighs, abdomen and rear end so a plane seat is tight, especially if the arm rest is down. I try to book the window seat when I fly so I have a little more room.

Missie, you are starting off the week with realistic goals that will make a difference for you. This time next week you will see a noticeable difference and we will all give a loud cheer. By the way, I love your statement:

We are all stronger then the food in front of us. We have goals that matter more then temporary temptations! We can do this!

Let's all make this a week that counts! Oh, and my name is Karen.
Joyful in Missouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #17  
slow and steady is ok

Missie, I have been taking your advice and moving more at work. I have set a goal of at least 1000 steps every 2 hours while at work, so I am logging over 5000 a day this week. Considering I started at less than 3000 2 weeks ago I am pleased with the progress.

Off to play Bunco tonight. I saved some calories so that I can eat some of the snacks tonight. My hubby made his fantastic chocolate chip cookies for me to take but I won't be eating one. Fruit, veggies and hummus for me. How is the week going for you?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 265/265/160

Height: 5'2

So how are the goals coming??! I've been doing well with my fitness pal but o forgot my fitbit at home today. I took it off to shower then I forgot about it. But I'll assume I'm doing okay haha.

So are there any healthy foods you have found you really love? I LOVE green beans roasted with garlic and some salt. I also found that balance bars in the dark chocolate mint cookie taste just like thin mints!! I also made some peanut butter energy balls. Peanut butter, chocolate chips, steel cut oats and chia seeds rolled I to balls and stored in the fridge. Good to keep your belly from growling if you're trying to make it between meals. I also love hint wanter. I'm not sure if they have it near you but it's really lightly flavored water. Yoo often I feel flavored water punches you with flavor and I don't like that, so this is a good alternative.

I think our new friend may have lost our thread! Hope she can find us again! A small group would be nice but not too many because that would get confusing quick!!!

Anyways I hope you're sticking to your goals and are feeling great and proud!

Tall to you soon!

-Missie
Midnightangel1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #19  

I'm so sorry I missed the little update you posted! Congrats on all the steps. How's the knee holding up? That's really great progress. I'm always amazed when I start working out again how our bodies are able to build stamina quickly and before realizing it we had doubled what we started out with!

Also if my husband ever made chocolate chip cookies I would fall over dead out of shock! The man can cook mac and cheese, frozen meals, and cans of spaghetti O's. But he is a grill master! But good on you for not eating them!! I meal prepped a little this week. I made some chicken breasts with different seasonings and I get these little wild rice cups and small cans of veggies and that's what I had for lunch at work yesterday. I've been bringing 2 pieces of saltwater taffy as my treat. I just close my eyes and pretend I'm at the beach for a minute haha. Whatever it takes right!? Anyways, canned green beans are so so so terrible. I think I'll so my roasted ones and see if reheating them works out for next week's meals. Anyways I've got to go to work soon so I'll talk to you later! Keep up the good work staying strong!

-Missie
Old 06-23-2017, 11:43 PM   #20  
slow and steady is ok

Good for you with the meal prep. It makes it so much easier to eat healthy. I have to agree with you, canned green beans are are not very good. I much prefer fresh ones. I pack my lunch every day as well. I found when I didn't it was way too easy to drive through McDonalds and eat a bunch of fast food which definitely contributed to my weight gain.

I was trying to think of healthy foods that I really enjoy eating. I love roasted brussel sprouts. I put a little olive oil on them and add some sea salt, then pop them in the oven. They are fantastic. I also like to keep fresh fruit and veggies cut up so they are easy to grab. Right now my lunches are a bit boring but once I get back to food prepping on the weekend I will start making salads in a jar. I don't know if you have ever made them but the lettuce is just as crisp in the salad that you eat on Friday as it is in the one you eat at the beginning of the week. There are lots of ideas for them on Pinterest. You just have to watch the calorie count on some of them.

I have also found a yummy brand of muffins called garden delight. They are in the gluten free freezer section at Walmart and they are made with veggies. I tried the chocolate one and really liked it. It has zucchini and carrots in it and is 120 calories. When I am craving something like a piece of cake I can have one of those with a cup of coffee and my craving is satisfied.

One of the teachers I work with has a Costco membership and I am considering getting one. She said she buys a fruit tray and a veggie tray each week form Costco and packs that in her her lunch every day. Now I know I can pick produce up at Aldi for a good price and cut it up myself, but sometimes it is worth paying a little more for the convenience of having that already done. I will probably wait until the fall when produce is more expensive and try it then to see if I save both time and money by getting the trays from Costco.

I am getting a bit excited about meal prepping now that I am talking to you about it. I think I will put some sweet potatoes in the crockpot on Sunday and pack one in my lunch each day next week. I love sweet potatoes, especially with a little bit of butter and some Splenda brown sugar on them. I guess by now you have figured out I have a major sweet tooth addiction. Since I do I just have to make sure I plan ahead and have food that I like that will also satisfy that need for something sweet.

I am really proud of your determination to eat well this week, Taking 2 pieces of salt-water taffy to work is a brilliant idea. You get to splurge a little and it takes you back to your happy place at the beach!

Keep up the great work!

- Karen
Old 06-25-2017, 01:31 AM   #21  

I've tried roasted Brussels sprouts before along with some cauliflower. I used salt, pepper,Garlic ,extra virgin olive oil and something else but I forget what the spice was. Anyway, the cauliflower was okay, almost good even, but the Brussels sprouts...they had a very earthy flavor to me, I wasn't a fan. I do love broccoli and carrots but not cooked. I will suffer through grape tomatoes if i have 2 in my salads at a restaurant.

I just pinterested "salad in a jar" omg They Are adorable! I will have to try that. Usually I pack a Rubbermaid 2cup bowl (when I actually pack a salad) but the jar is so much cuter! I just struggle so much with salad. I'm an oddball and hate dressing. I've tried italian,cesar,ranch,bleu cheese, thousand island, and a few vinagarettes and just don't like them. There was a lettuce premix bag once that had an avocado dressing that i actually liked, but of course I don't see that brand anywhere anymore. But salad dressing is bad anyways I guess so perhaps a dry salad is better anyway. I do sometimes sprinkle lemon juice but that's like twice a year when I pack a salad and also remember a lemon lol we've talked about food being emotional for us and work can get stressful and those days I really just can't bring myself to want a salad for break, u know? I feel like I need warm comfort food. Not like French fries and a burger but just something I can look forward to and not just a meal to get through.

I will have to try those muffins and still that pumpkin cake too! I tried some kind of organic muffin I found in the cereal aisle, I don't remember the brand but it's in a microwavable cup and u add water then microwave and I bought a few of them and it was awful. It was a chocolate chip one and I'm pretty sure it's what hay tastes like.

The tray idea is brilliant! I'm a Sam's club member (basically a Costco) and I've seen those trays I've just never thrown a party to buy one! I have to run there tomorrow for kitty litter so I'll check them out and see how prices compare.

Ill be honest, I've never had a sweet potato. My husband loves them..covered in caramel and marshmallows but I've never tried them. I think I'll make a goal this week to try 3 new foods that are healthy. Those muffins can be one. Perhaps a sweet potato too. I have a crockpot I've used once. I can try a roast and see how it goes. Hmm not sure what to make my 3rd thing. I'll have to think about it tomorrow I did perfect on my fitness pal this week, only lost 1 pound but I'm not worrying about that yet. Baby steps Friday night I didn't make my fitbit goal so I'll try that again this week as well as the my fitness pal and new foods. Oh and stretching. I did that one day then forgot about it until just now haha I should write these down!

I'm so glad I keep you motivated. You keep me motivated too! It really helps to have a sounding board every/ every other day! I'm so glad we found eachother on here! You are a good listener ( actually, reader I suppose!) You give me feedback and tips with my struggles and I really appreciate it! We will reach our goals!!!!!

-Missie
Old 06-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #22  
slow and steady is ok

Congratulations on the one pound loss. That is wonderful. My mom used to be a Weight Watcher leader and she says when you think a 1 pound loss is not enough, look at a pound of fat from meat and realize that is what you lost. The visual is pretty motivating.

I love your idea of trying 3 new foods this week. I need to try roasted cauliflower. I was just talking about that with my sister this morning. She said the trick is to cut it up into pretty small pieces and roast it until it is brown and that will make it taste sweet. I don't like raw cauliflower, and I am not crazy about steamed cauliflower, but maybe I will like it roasted. That will be my new food to try this week.

If you price fruit trays and veggie trays at Sams Club please let me know how much they are. We have both Sams Club and Costco here.

I love the fact that we found one another and seem to have clicked. It is so great to have a weight loss buddy. Keep packing those healthy lunches and I will do the same. Next week there will a little less of each of us.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #23  

I asked my husband to look at and send me pictures of the fruit and veggie trays at Sam's club and he forgot. I'll probably get there on Thursday to look for myself I just got done grocery shopping. I gotbcherried and raspberries and blackberries and I got a dragon fruit! Never had one of those so I'll see how it tastes and let u know.
I've been taking ubuprophen before work and then 5 hours later and it seems to keep my foot pain at bay so that's nice. So you have summers off if you work for a school? My sister works as an aid of some sort and she gets to have off with my nephews for the summer.
Have you weighed in? I think I may only weigh myself every other week and I need to take my measurements. I also have to start thinking of what next week's goals will be
Sorry I don't have much to say today I'm sure I'll think of more later!

-M
Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 PM   #24  
slow and steady is ok

I have never heard of a dragon fruit. You will have to let me know how it is. I went to Aldi this evening and picked up baby carrots, snow peas and different color sweet peppers, as well as bananas, strawberries, blueberries and a watermelon. I cut some of it up and put it in canning jars in the fridge. Storing it that way seems to double how long the fruit stays fresh.

I work for a school district but I don't have summers off. I did when I was a teacher but I have been an administrator for the past 8 years so I have a 12 month contract. When my kids were young I was a classroom teacher so I was off work when they were out of school. I loved being with them.

I made a salad today with cherry tomatoes, low fat feta cheese and a Greek salad dressing that only has 10 calories in 2 tbsp. It was really good and was just under 100 calories.

I weighed in on Monday morning and had gained a pound. I was really bummed but I also know we went out for Mexican food with some friends on Sunday and I had a lot of carbs. I weighed on Monday morning so I am hoping it was water weight due to the sodium and carbs in the Mexican food. Next Monday is my next weigh-in so time will tell. Today I was under my calorie allotment but it was easy because I was in the dentist's chair for just under 4 hours. I couldn't eat while I was there, and didn't want to when I left. I has scrambled eggs and grits for dinner. While I like that it is not something that tempts me to over eat. So that is a good thing.

I met my Fitbit goal today too. I was pleased with that since I was at the dentist for so long. I just decided I was going to walk until I met my goal and it worked.

Have a great day and continue to make strong choices.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #25  

I was supposed to go kayaking with my little dog today but I needed up doing some shopping. Which Is silly since I don't want to be my current size much longer! Buy I only got 2 things and two of them were for working out so I guess it's not so bad. As long as I actually go do that!

Still never made it to Sam's club but I did get those fruits the other day. When I'm done writing this I'm gonna go meal prep for the weekend. It's my weekend to work so gotta be ready with the good choices!

Keep going strong!

Missie
Old 06-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #26  
slow and steady is ok

I believe food prep is the key to success with weight loss. My mini victory for this week is I have been able to say no thank-you to sweets at work every day this week. I don't know why but families have brought cupcakes in every day and sweets are my weakness, but I have had the will power to say no.

Now that you bought cute workout clothes you will have to put them to good use. I am confident that you will.

I don't enjoy exercise at all so I think I will do some weeding tomorrow to get some activity in. Weeding is not loads of fun either, but I do like for the beds to look nice so that will motivate me.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:13 AM   #27  

I almost went for a bike ride yesterday but chose not to and just do lottle tidying things around my house. It's just so so humid where I am! It's like a hot wet blanket weighing you down outside. Pretty sure is die in Florida!!
I've been acing my fitness pal but haven't worn my fitbit in 2 days. I hate sleeping with it so I take it off then I never put it back on. The dragonfruit was a light taste but good.not a super strong flavor. They are slightly expensive and I didn't like LOVE it so I probably won't buy them often. I did try a sweet potato but I had just baked it in foil. Idk it didn't thrill me but maybe if I add some goodies it will be better. I'm getting slightly sick of my daily lunch of chicken breast and green beans so I'm thinking this week I'll make a ground turkey and rice taco mix and get some of the super small soft taco shells and pack 2 of those for lunch and have corn or carrots and broccoli with it. I haven't had a soda in a few weeks at work so I'm proud of that

Weeding is definitely a light workout. I usually feel it in my abs, leaning I've the garden on my knees. It works those core muscles.

Sorry I have been letting our conversations slip a bit. I'll try to do better this week. Perhaps find an article or two or interesting fact on healthfulness/weight loss.

That dress is begging you to wear it! You've got this!

-missie
Old 07-03-2017, 01:28 AM   #28  
slow and steady is ok

Humidity is the worst. It has been extremely humid here as well. When I eat a baked sweet potato I like to put Splenda brown sugar and some real butter on it. You may like it with that added to it. Your tacos sound like a good idea. When you cook with ground turkey make sure it is very lean. Some of them actually have more fat in them than ground beef. I like to add brown rice and cilantro to the mix when I make a taco mix. Your veggie selections also sound good.

I saw a pin for a Southwest salad on Pinterest that I want to try. It has corn, tomatoes, black beans and cilantro in it. It also calls for Jicama but I have not seen that in the grocery store here. Last week I made a side dish with cherry tomatoes, low fat feta cheese and a low cal Greek dressing. It was really good.

That is really great about the cokes. You are making changes that matter and the scale will show it.

Keep making great choices!
Old 07-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #29  

I'm really letting myself slip with logging on my fitness pal. I know I've been eating well but I need to log it because then I can look back on all my good choices when I'm about to make a bad one!

I weighed myself and took measurements. I'm down a total of 6 lbs now and I'm pretty proud of that I need to do some working out so I can lose more. I've been really slacking off on my walks and stretching. But I did kayak a TON on July 4th and hubby and I went swimming in a local lake. So i guess that sort of makes up for it.

My fitbit has been put on hold. I had a leather band that I was using and my puppy destroyed it 2 days ago. I have another ordered from Amazon. Then I'll get back on track with that. I know I haven't been walking enough this week.

I think I'm going to try some pilates moves in between commercials. They look simple enough and low impact so I shouldn't be huffing and puffing after only a few minutes.

Are you on facebook? If u are and want to friend me my name is Missie Keefer. My profile pic is me and my husband laying in the grass and my cover photo is of him and our puppy kayaking. If you want privacy I completely understand! We've been talking a while now and I figured it would be fine.

So, I was reading up on going to bed shortly after eating. Which is what I thought helped lead to weight gain. However it looks like it really doesn't matter. It matters in the way that your stomach processing the food could make for unrestful sleep. What are your thoughts and experiences on it? I've always been a late eater. Especially now since I cook dinner for my husband to get off work at midnight and usually go to bed an hour or two afterwards.
Did u get to do anything fun on July 4th? I spent the day kayaking, swimming and having a small cookout with my husband. My family wasn't doing anything and his wasn't either. We did get to see fireworks also, that's always fun, but the traffic was horrible and I have about 400 mosquito bites! (My fault for forgetting bug spray)

Anyways, we've been being healthful and accountable to eachother for over a month and it's really helped me! We will see our goals soon!

Missie

Last edited by Midnightangel1690; 07-06-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #30  

I hope you're doing well and sticking to your goals I've been doing well. I got a fitness planner from a craft store that I'm really excited about. It has a food/water/exercise log and a month spot for a progress selfie and a place to review yourswlf. What worked and what didn't.
I got these steamfresh protein blends from the store in the frozen veggie aisle. I got the California one in a garlic sauce and it's really good! Packed with protein and fiber too.

Take care. Hope to hear from you soon!!

Missie