Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #1  

Exclamation They are removing my thyroid this week! HELP?!?!

Has anyone here had a thyroidectomy or are living with chronically low thyroid and medication? I am terrified that I am going to gain even more weight.
glitterspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have Hashi's and so I have to take thyroid medicine every day. It's a challenge but not insurmountable. Look at your options. I use a natural desiccated thyroid compound that has both T3 and T4 and I like it a lot. I've never used Synthroid. Some people do really well on Synthroid, but many people also do very well on the natural ones (I've used Thyroid USP and Westhroid which are therapeutically equivalent) and the natural ones are a LOT less expensive. Not all doctors will prescribe them, though. Find a doc that will ask you how you FEEL and not just look at your labs. Thyroid is really subjective and some people feel much better at one end of the range than the other. My doctor is a Naturopathic Doctor and she is very much into how I feel and will make dosing adjustments based on that. One possible advantage of having a thyroidectomy is that you might not experience the fluctuations in dosing - once you get it dialed in, it might stay dialed in.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 316/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Have you looked into the autoimmune protocol diet? My former roommate has Hashimoto's as well, and with this way of eating, she's been able to lose weight and also feel considerably better than when she eats off plan in spite of decreased thyroid function and medication. YMMV of course, but it might be worth looking into.
Blicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Round 2: 173/173/155

Height: 5'3"

hi and welcome to 3FC. I do not have any experience with you particular situation, glad there were others who could offer some insight from their experience
wefrogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blicca View Post
Have you looked into the autoimmune protocol diet? My former roommate has Hashimoto's as well, and with this way of eating, she's been able to lose weight and also feel considerably better than when she eats off plan in spite of decreased thyroid function and medication. YMMV of course, but it might be worth looking into.
That's awful. I hate veggies and the few I will eat are almost all nightshades, lol. Plus I have a prescription anti inflammatory so that is not going to work for me at all. That just seems terrible.
glitterspider is offline   Reply With Quote