Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #1  

Default Newbie here 👋

Hello everyone I am a 20 year old who has been overweight just about all my life. I come from a family who has really bad eating habits so it's hard to get support from them. I am 5'8 and about 308 pounds according to my last doctors visit. I ran across this website and I joined in hope that I could find support and motivation to get healthy and be happy again. Are there any suggestions as far as dieting and exercise that anyone could give me personally for my weight and height.
Melanin_beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #2  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Welcome!!!!

I too like you was between 285-315 at 20 years old, I don't know because I avoided the scale at all costs. I can tell you that at 21 I was 304, then lost 23lbs after going to the gym 3,4,5 times a week for 6 months, then put it all back on over my holiday and beyond. I am now 27, In January this year I weighed in a 323 which was just plain embarrassing for someone who is actually quite fit and healthy. I started putting on weight at about 9 years old, then instead of burning it all off during my teenage years, I was a party animal and travelled a lot, I was having too much fun to care about what I was eating.

My first move (in a house full of people who ate chicken nuggets, burgers, pasta and fries and other crap like that) was to get the app, my fitness pal. For one full week I ate like I usually did and tracked everything I put in my mouth, to see just how many calories I was consuming (you can scan bar codes for this). Then I spent the next week reducing those calories on foods that I knew I shouldn't of eaten, chocolate bars and other stuff, I replaced my snacks first with fruit and low calorie options. I only drink water or tea now, no fizzy soda, no fruit juice, just water and Tea. Gradually I changed the meals that I had control over. I made my own breakfast (every morning I have 3 boiled eggs/ scrambled on one slice of wholemeal toast, this can also be half an avocado and one egg). Lunch again was different for everyone in the house, so I started alternating between having Tuna sandwich mixed with cottage cheese, maybe some cucumber, or low calorie soup with crackers. Dinner always had to be whatever the family was having, but after a month of changing the other stuff first, I then reduced my portion size of dinner. Only once your family either accept that you need a different dinner, make a healthier dinner for everyone, or you move out.... will that meal be in full control sadly.

I aimed to lose 1lb a week, I would weigh myself every morning and keep note of weekly fluctuations. By doing it this way, and slowly, it meant I was learning about my body, what foods made me gain? I have learned that I can't eat pasta. Read up on what MACROS are and introduce them to your may fitness pal app once you feel it is necessary. Do you go to the gym? can you going a class once a week? do you have a dog that you walk?

To really want to say goodbye to all that weight..... you must invest in these items if you don't have already:

- Kitchen Scales, start measuring everything you eat and track it in the App
- Bathroom Scales, I have ones that measure body fat and are sooooo useful!
- Get myfitnesspal app
- A stepper (might have one in your cell already to track steps)
- Small dumbells, mine are 2.5lbs each, you should aim for this up to 4lbs, spend 10 mins per day doing a routine

MOTIVATION!

yet into the 20-Somethings forum on here, we have some cool challenges that are great to get involved in
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #3  

Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely try out your advice and the 20's group! (:
Melanin_beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/223/165

Height: 5.9 / 175cm

Hi Melanin, welcome. I respect your decision on trying to become healthier before the Holidays. I wish you luck.
I am still very much in the beginning of this journey, but one advice I try my best to follow is to take one day at a time.

Good luck !

Scotsgal, I loved hearing more about you! That was a treat
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote