Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/115

Height: 5'2"

Default So I finally joined. :)

Hi there!

I'm Pigeon, 34/female. I used to read this forum years ago when I was losing weight, and found it very motivating, but never joined.

Long story short - after losing 20kg, I slipped back to my old habits and gained 30. My BMI went up to well over 32. For a long time I thought I didn't care anymore, that I should just accept my body as it was. And I have nothing against that sort of thinking, I believe in health at every size, but sometime ago I started a new hobby I found incredibly rewarding and soothing and soon realized my weight was holding me back, so I figured I might just try again, and this time, not repeat the past mistakes.

I have been on psych meds for years, and the last medication gave me insane sugar cravings that must have also fuelled the rapid weight gain. Now I am on new meds and in addition to vastly improved mood, my cravings are pretty much gone. I have bit by bit honed my diet, recording what I have eaten in a day every now and then and gone through the numbers to make out where the energy comes from. I will not go hungry, but I eat a lot of veggies, beans, whole grain rye, things like that. Last time I lost weight I was running meticulously, but the truth is that I always _hated_ running, so now I have taken up nordic walking and I am really enjoying it. I don't own a scale yet (I'm in the process of getting one), but in the last month and a half I have lost about 7cm from my waist.

I hit a minor plateau recently, but got past it by noting that in addition to lost centimetres, there are other changes - my skin looks great, and my blood pressure has gone down by several notches (there's blood pressure and heart problems running on both sides of my family). I don't have much money, so I have been able to buy some nice things with the money that would before gone to ice cream. So even when the weight is not going down, I'm still reaping the benefits of this new, healthier life style.

My goal weight is under 60 kg (around 130 pounds). I think it might be quite achievable, as I am quite short and small framed. As I am in my mid-30s, I'm also thinking about aging. I don't care about "looking good" that much anymore, I am quite happy with my imperfect looks are they are, but I hope that by leading a healthier lifestyle I can add to the years I can be actively moving about. I want to add to the chances that when I'm an old lady, I can still play with children and move about in nature. I want to add to the chances that I can still go and see my favourite sceneries when I'm in my 80s.

Whoa, that became long! Sorry! Strawberries to anyone who read it all! But yes now I decided to join the forum for motivation, knowledge and support.

Cheers!
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #2  

Welcome, glad you joined. I am not super active here, but it is definitely a very motivating forum!
Becs08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #3  
Earning back my muscles

S/C/G: 184/184/size 8

Height: 5'5

Welcome! We're glad you're here!
HIheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

pigeon! Yay on finally joining! It's sounds like you are in this for your health and that's the best reason. I love the news about your skin and blood pressure! Your diet and exercise plans sound wonderful and well-suited to you. It's always smart to go with something that you know you'll stick to rather than something you feel obligated to do. It sounds like you're doing everything right, and joining 3FC is icing on the cake! You already know your way around, so jump right in! I wish you the best!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #5  
Leah Margaret

S/C/G: 181/174/162

Height: 5'3

Hello Pigeon! Welcome, I just joined this evening, too! I'm glad to not be the only new one and want to wish you all the best in your health and your journey!!!
leah_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #7  

Thank you very much for the warm welcomes! This place seems very friendly.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #8  

Hi Pigeon, I also just joined today
Juliacatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/185?

Height: 5'6"

GIMMEE MY STRAWBERRIES!!! GIMMEE MY STRAWBERRIES!

I rejoined this place a few days ago, after a long absence. Yes, this is a very good place for motivation/inspiration & just plain ole good people to be around. I hope ya find it that way, too.

Be sure & find a group or two that suits your needs. There are sooo many different "sub-groups" divided into ages, health issues. You are bound to find friends here! Heck there are even posting areas that have basically nothing to do with weight loss...games & stuff which are fun, too!

So without further ado....WELCOME, PIGEON!!!
MrsTryingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #10  

Thank you, MRsTryingAgain! This place seems really friendly indeed.

And oooops, sorry, looks like I binged all the strawberriess.... :P