Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/204/140

Height: 63"

Default Another fat chick

Hi all

I'm most certainly living up to the title of a fat chick as I'm at my heaviest ever.. I've struggled with my weight most of my adult life. I was happy at 185lbs 3 years ago but was diagnosed with Bipolar (a mood disorder) and put on medication - that along with my giving up on watching what I ate with the exception of a few light hearted attempts to lose weight see's me where I am now.

So, today I decided I need to take action - I'm not happy to go up anymore lbs.

It's been a good day today - largely helped by being in work this afternoon / evening.

Look forward to finding my way around the board and losing some fat!
PurpleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Purple! I hear you on the meds! I gained 50 lbs in 6 months years ago when I went on some meds. Good for you for deciding "no more"! This is a great community and you'll find lots of support here. Good luck!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-10-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:54 AM   #3  

Thanks for the welcome

Yes sadly am on an anti-psychotic for Bipolar disorder, which is highly associated with people gaining significant weight and causing hunger. I'm also on a depot birth control but that is likely less of a problem.

So sorry you have knowledge of the side effect of weight gain. I must admit I've had my head in the clouds through 4 other medications with the same risk factor so deciding to do something now is a bit later than I should have decided to do something, but better late than never.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

Welcome PurpleJ. Another reason why I started to exercise and lose weight was my doctor has recommended it to me to help with depression for years. After she put me on a THIRD anti depressant I was like ok, this is INSANE! I was having more side effects than actual results and feeling like crap. My doctor is one that doesn't want to push meds but since I wasn't cooperating (exercising) she didn't have much choice since I wasn't feeling well.

I finally got the "picture" and now after 5 months I am down to two medications. One being an anti depressant (the lowest dosage) and the other being a mood stabilizer which I really only stay on because it acts as a appetite suppressant, and boy does it help! This coming from being on three medications at almost maximum strength for all three I totally contribute it to exercise!

I went in to see her (doctor) last Tuesday and she asked how I was doing. I was like "I am good" and she smiled and said "we will keep lowering your dosage so we can take you off the other one as soon as you're ready". It's so great to have a doctor that isn't a pill pusher. She has recommended I take slow release Niacin (flush free) and Fish Oil as well so I can stay off the depression meds perm. after we quit them totally.

I am not sure what you can do naturally besides exercise for BiPolar disorder but So happy for you for taking a stand
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #5  

Posted a really long post and it's gone!

So thankful for you sharing and not being alone. Bipolar can lead to my beingalmost fanatical about losing weight and fitness for a short time, to being unable to drag myself out of bed. So it really does impact on me.

I would love to hoe to be medication free one day, but that seems a long way off. I've changed my life path recently in that I've stopped uni and settled with a diploma instead of a degree and have started a small part time job local (so no 110 mile commute a day) which has no responsibility or stress (a first for me in work).

I have picked up exercise again and am actively going to classes in Tai Chi and kickboxing. I'm too heavy to ride my horse at the moment so lunge him and getting my weight down is a goal to allow me back into the saddle.

Keeping my motivation up when I'm low is the tricky part.