Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/164/110

Height: 5'10

Default Another new boy.

Hi

My name is Dave, I'm 53, and on a quest to lose yet more wieght. 2 years ago I weighed in at 220+ kilos, and via diet and medication I got myself down to just under 180 kg.

Sadly due to carrying to much weight, for 40+ years, and more than one car verses motorcycle, or motor cycle verse road contest, where I found myself bouncing down the road , sadly both have had a telling affect on my body, and I now have back knee and hip issues.

I've now been off sick since the begining of the year, and as my hip is basically bone on bone, surgery is now "they say" the only resolution, but who knows, I was told buy the consultant, I need to be at 135 kg for surgery to the hip, but have been referred for barometric
surgery to help me get there.

My first appointment was two months ago, they asked me to keep a record of my eating (which I didn't) but at my second appointment it was noted I had lost well over a stone in four weeks or so. Which they said counted more than me than keeping a record, ie I was down to just over 170 kg.

The clinic asked me to go on to a low calorie liquid diet, ie 5 pints of milk per day, + oxo or bovril ( salty drinks) and multi vitamin too. This was started just over 2 weeks ago, and I was asked to try to loss 5% (reach 165.4 kg) and I've already reached that, I'm hoping to be under 160 kg by my next visit.

So far I've found this easy, I even sit at the family table meal times with two glasses of milk, I'm sure I'm going to struggle in time but for now, I'm happy to do this up to christmas and afterward too.

The biggest thing is so far since restarting to go for this again, I've now lost between 15 and 20 kilos, and so far nearly 12 inches off my waistline. There is no simple fix for my hip, but I can now see I can get to 135, without the surgery hopefully, but I'm not going to rule it out, but for now, I still can not walk without a stick, and I still struggle, but the pain is easing, who knows at 135 and below, that may make the hip surgery unneeded too. Most of all, I'm now planning to get back work too.

I know things will get harder, hence coming here, hoping to see other who have come through the other side of this, and also show it can be done, ie I will be lower than 130 kg by my 54th birthday, next march. Hopefully with out any surgery, stomach, or hip.

Thanks for reading

DAVE
zerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #2  
JAYNE

S/C/G: 276/251/150

Welcome to the forum Dave! You can do this. Take one day at a time and realize everyday you are one step closer to your goal even if it does not show on the scale. I myself would have trouble with a liquid diet but if you are feeling okay and it is working. Are they also doing blood work on you checking your electrolytes and kidney and liver levels? I am also a nurse and have seen my fair share of patients on these diets and these levels are not being checked. Good luck to you and if you ever need to talk or just need someone to listen. Go ahead and vent here.
jillybean2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Wow it looks like you're doing great already, despite everything you've been through. Keep up the good work and know we are all rooting for you
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/164/110

Firstly thank you for your kind, and inspiring replies.

I think it important to point out, I'm doing this diet under medical supervision, I've not just decided to do this off my own back. As well as milk, I have to have one or two salty drinks per day, (I've always enjoyed marmite, bovril, and even OXO cubes, even eating them whole or crumbled in a sandwich.) You have to do this to keep your salt intake up, I've found half bovril/ half marmite makes a moer palatable drink, and I just eat a OXO cube every other day.

You also need to drink two litres of fluids, per day, so long as it's low calorie thats fine, I also have to take fibrogel, each day, for fibre, sure you can guess the reason for this.

My original wieght loss was done by removing sweets and snacks from my diet, I spoke to,a consultant and said, I'm only eating 2000 calories but not lossing wieght, his reply shocked me and said, I wouldn't unless I got down to about 1200, ie at 2000, I was just keeping my weight level.

I lost wieght by just eating a late breakfast, and my main meai, served on a smaller plate, you really do have to change your mindset to lose wieght, so don't think your going without, tell yourself your putting it by for another time. If you convince yourself your missing out, you won't succeed. Also have a goal, save the money you would have spent on treats, put it by, and buy something you want, when you reach a achievable goal, ie my goal at present is to reach 150 kg, I would like to get there by Christmas, but when I get there, I will treat myself, my ultimate treat is a made to measure suit, with a waist less than 50 inches. (I've not had a 44 inch waist, since I was about 16.

I think cutting my eating down, prepared me for the milk diet, and so far, it's been great to see a regular loss, and also not feel hungary. Sadly most milk additives are not no added sugar, but I'm learning to be creative, ie adding coffee, and you can add low calories squashs so long as there not citric fruits, so blackcurrant and the like can be used, also UHT skimmed milk has a different taste but the same calories, so I use this to make a change.

Good luck all, I hope to hit 160kg sometime next week, I'm at 164.1 this morning.

Keep at it, but if your not losing wieght, remember, the only resolve is hard work, and dedication. Do it for you, and most of all don't kidd or cheat yourself.

Dave
zerox is offline   Reply With Quote