Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #1  
jessie

S/C/G: 274.6 / see ticker / 190

Height: 5'7"

Post frustrated and fed up

Good morning lades and gents, I and starting the faux Atkins today (meaning no program or book just working in theory) any advice would be great, I am starting my day with egg salad and purple onion slices and plan to munch on that and chicken grilled with cheese for the rest of the day. I'd love to make some weight loss buddies and be involved in a support team of like peeps....
I am going to do two things different this time....
1) set weekly goals instead of looking for a huge goal that will take forever
2) hide the scales and weight only once a week
so with that in mind
SW 269.6 as of this morning
GW 259.6 in one week
ID LOVE ANY AND ALL INPUT< HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!
jessiegreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/242/150

Height: 5'8"

Welcome to 3FC.
I am new as well.
First of congratulate yourself for making the decision to change your life.
setting a weekly goal is a good strategy. I too like to breakdown the goal into several mini goals so that I do not get overwhelmed with the huge number. Who needs added pressure when you are trying to lose weight.
I am started at 256lbs currently I am at 242 and wish to be in the healthy BMI range of 150-152 lbs .
All the best to you .
momcandoit_2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #3  
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/<170

Height: 5'9"

Hi Jessie!

Congrats on making the decision to make a change, and welcome to 3FC!

The only input I would give you is to have more realistic and achievable goal expectations. 2 pounds in a week/10 pounds in a month is probably the highest you should go for safe and lasting loss. 10 pounds in a week, the first week, MIGHT happen with a loss of water weight, but it's not likely to repeat. Starting this time, it took me 3 weeks to lose that first 10 pounds. 10 pounds is a *great* mini goal, but please, give yourself the proper amount of time to get there. It will keep you healthy and keep you from being so disappointed when you don't see 10 pounds in a week.

Daddy used to tell me "you didn't gain it over night, you won't lose it over night."
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #4  
jessie

Having read the 5 bite diet book I do not buy into the "slow is safe" motto however we shall see, who knows I may blow it and run out and eat a cheeseburger for dinner. Here's to hoping I can be strong and get through this weekend with minimal damage... they are always the hardest.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #5  

10 pounds in one week is not realistic. It basically means you would have to eat 35,000 less calories than you did the week before. While super sized people can do that, it's only because they're accustomed to eating 10,000 calories a day.

Long term weight loss success, means just that. It takes time to get to your goal weight and the more you lose the slower it comes off. That's just basic math.

As far as this new Akins diet--WHY? A lot of these diets are responsible for the yo yo weight loss and gain back. You lose a lot of weight often too fast, eventually get back to eating the banned food, gain back all the weight twice as fast as you lost it, plus another 20 or so pounds. We have decades of knowing this now.

Our genetics for the last few centuries are based around protein, carbs, fat, and some sugar. Take one of those out of your consumption and you're messing with Mother Nature, and as we all know when you mess with Mother Nature there will be consequences. Albeit it is a great idea to cut back on sugar and fatty foods, while promoting a healthier food plan.

Weight loss is simply calories consumed during the day versus calories burned during the day. People gain weight because they eat too much, period. A calorie is a calorie whether is comes from carrots or cookies, protein or carbs.

My suggestion for you would be to sign up for Myfitnesspal, a free app you can put on your computer, and it will also upload to all smart phones. This program has a 3 million food database, including fast food, that makes it soooo easy to keep track of the calories you're consuming during the day, if you're diligent about entering it. You can also add in exercise on this app, and if you're really into watching what you're doing you can purchase a Fitbit or Jawbone UP that will sync to myfitnesspal. These devices count the steps you take during the day and on UP you could add in additional workouts, walking, hiking, aerobics, etc. giving you a very accurate picture of how many calories you're burning.

Knowing what you're doing is half the battle to long term weight loss and fitness success. And these two devices let you know what you're doing if they are being used consistently and correctly.

Anyway, Welcome and good luck!

Last edited by Kscott; 05-30-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #6  
jessie

Please don't rain on my parade, if its not sunshine and roses please keep it to your self, trying to stay posative here :-P that's all I got to say about that....
Old 05-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169/135/140

Height: 5ft 5.5 in

I think you did a great job with your weight loss so far.The first 10 pounds lost is what will keep you motivated.I stayed motivated by counting calories and carbs and weighing my protein.Also drank lots of water.You have a good start and with determination you can do anything you put your mind to do.Doing something about your weight and health is always better than doing nothing and you are doing something.
apo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Welcome to the forum and best wishes in your journey.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegreene View Post
Please don't rain on my parade, if its not sunshine and roses please keep it to your self, trying to stay posative here :-P that's all I got to say about that....
No one is trying to rain on your parade, but it's not wise to set yourself up for disappointment right off the bat by being unrealistic about being able to lose 10 pounds in one week at your current weight. If your current weight was 6 to 7 hundred pounds I would believe that a 10! pound loss in one week was attainable. It is well known that 1 pound is 3500 calories times 10 pounds in a week equals 35,000 calories.

It's best to know all the basics when you start your plan, so you know what to expect. Otherwise it equates to changing out a flat tire, without knowledge of where the spare tire, jack and lug wrench are, thereby making it all the more difficult.

A little more tough love here. Our bodies require a minimum of 1200 calories a day to function normally. If you go lower than that in calorie count--your body will go into starvation mode--making it all the harder to lose weight. Then on the flip-side if you start to gain weight your body will store more fat--just in case you try to go on another very low calorie diet, and it won't even ask you if it's O.K.--LOL

Here is a great place for you to start.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/body-calculator

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Kscott; 05-31-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #10  
jessie

This is way easier than I thought not missing the carbs at all (maybe cause I am getting them just in form of veggies) OMG this weekend I made a Alfredo sauce from scratch and put it on spaghetti squash with hamburger... so yummy... any way cant stay off the darn scale and I know I should, maybe Ill have it hidden from me while I am at work today lol. hope everyone is having a great day!! :-)
Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Jessie -- you might want to try posting in the low carb forum if you want support for a low carb approach. There will be more knowledgeable and supportive people in that group. Lots of people on this site find success with a low carb approach. I call my own approach "lowish" carb... there's a wide range in the carb approach. You might also want to post in the Atkins subforum specifically if you want to make sure your approach is really compatible with the Atkins approach.

Regarding your mini goal... many dieters, including me, have found that if they set both mini goal weights and mini goal deadlines, sooner or later they will fail to meet that mini goal by that deadline. What happens then is up to the individual. Some people might find that motivating, but others, like myself, would feel like a failure and be more likely to give up. For me, I've found it's best to think in terms of mini goals, but not set any deadline for getting there. I think that is true for a lot of folks, so that is one reason you are getting some push-back.

In a similar vein is expectations of the rate of weight loss. A lot of folks just starting out on a diet may see a big drop the first week, partly just because they are eating less, so there is less food being processed inside them when they step on the scale. Particularly on low carb, that can happen the first week due to water loss (your body uses water to store carb energy, which gets flushed out as carb energy stores are used up). In the longer run though, it is unrealistic to expect to keep up that rate of loss. People get concerned when they see someone who might have unrealistic expectations for the rate at which they can lose weight because they know that dieters can get disappointed, mad, frustrated, and even depressed when the scale doesn't deliver the rate of weight loss they expect. Many people have figured out from experience that if they keep their expectations low, they are less likely to get disappointed and stick with the program.

To summarize: I think choosing to try out a low carb aproach is a fine idea. You will get the best support for that and experienced advice in the low carb forum. Setting mini goals is also a great idea, but if you are the type of person (like most people) who feels bad when they don't meet a goal, you might want to take away the time limit. Also, you might want to read the posts of the other successful dieters and maintainers to get a better feel for the rate of weight loss that would be reasonable to expect.

Good luck; I hope you can tailor an approach that will work well for you!

Last edited by yoyoma; 06-02-2014 at 12:53 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

The easiest way for me to stay on track is to make a plan and write down what I plan to eat for the entire day before it starts. I go a step further and make freezer meals so I even have food ready to go if I need it, but just knowing what you're going to eat and having it prepped can make a world of difference in success.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

Hello there! I am new here too! I understand for myself (after many monthes of trying) that diets are not for me1 I am also starting this week with new page of my life! I decided to choose for myself the easiest way of losing weight - healthy lifestyle! I wish you good luck and hope we both will get lucky to achive our goals!!!
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote