Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #1  
baseballmom1969

S/C/G: 251

Height: 5'8

Default New here

Hi, my name is Tina, I am a 45 yo single mother of 2 boys. I weigh 250lbs and am finally happy. I think I am ready to start a diet and exercise, but don't know where to begin. Any advice on how to start dieting and or exercise without complete failure? I know I need to change, but I also don't want to set myself up for failure.
baseballmom1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #2  
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/<170

Height: 5'9"

Hi Tina

There really is no one-size-fits-all plan for losing weight. You have to find the method that works for you. Personally, I count calories and log my food using myfitnesspal, and follow no specific food plan (restricting, for me, leads to binging). Others do low carb, others do intermittent fasting.

Best way to go about it is don't look at as a quick fix. Find your method and stick with it long term. (And don't give up on it, like I did, and find yourself right back where you started!)

Welcome to 3FC!
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmom1969 View Post
Hi, my name is Tina, I am a 45 yo single mother of 2 boys. I weigh 250lbs and am finally happy. I think I am ready to start a diet and exercise, but don't know where to begin. Any advice on how to start dieting and or exercise without complete failure? I know I need to change, but I also don't want to set myself up for failure.
Don't fail, is the attitude you need to have. Recognize the eating and calorie consumption problem you have and grab it by the horns, it's takes a lot of determination, but you can do it.

I would suggest signing up for myfitnesspal, a free app that you can upload to your computer and all of the smart phones. They have a 3 million food database making so easy to track your calories. Your profile current weight and goal weight is entered and from then on its simple math done for you. You can also add in exercise on MFP or you can buy a Fitbit or Jawbone UP to track the steps and work outs you do that will Sync with MFP to give you a very accurate picture of how many calories you're consuming but also how many calories you're burning.

Welcome and good luck!
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #4  
Pounds...A Losing Battle

S/C/G: 163/149/130

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to 3FC, Tina! I personally just do calorie counting...I eat three 300 calorie meals and two 150 calorie snacks a day for a daily 1200 calories so that I can eat every 2-3 hours. It works for me because I never get TOO hungry. But there are so many different methods you can ask about and find what works best for you. The most important tool you already found by coming here for support...nothing breaks a desire to give up better than coming here and just reading for 10-15 minutes. Good Luck to You!
Bunny924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #5  

Hi! This is a new account for me, but I have been on these forums before and was very successful while I continued to post and engage with others here.

I think any weight loss method you choose is fine. Just do research and make sure it is sustainable and worthwhile.

What is of paramount importance is having a fellowship of people who share the same objectives as you do. I think that if you continue to not only post here, but to read and comment on what others are saying, that you will be more successful than if you did not have a community at all.

I work as an addiction counselor too and I know first hand that people can't recover without support. I think it works the same way with those who have an unhealthy weight (and therefore I assume an unhealthy relationship with food).

Good luck!
cherryboberry is offline   Reply With Quote