Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #1  

Default Hello all...Elly here

I've been overweight for most of my life, but really just too lazy\busy to do much of anything about it. I've recently met a very nice guy, and we've been dating for a little while now. The thing is though, he's quite thin, and it's been making me feel a little self conscious when we go out. He's never mentioned my weight, but sometimes I feel people staring.

I've decided that now is the time for me to start losing some weight. I'm not planning anything drastic, just going to start eating right and exercising more.

I'm basically here for some support and tips on what others are doing to lose weight.
EllyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #2  
stop wishing, start doing

S/C/G: 215/185/155

Height: 5'7

Hi Elly and welcome

I too am and have mostly always been overweight! I began my lifestyle change in March and couldn't be happier that I did.

Not planning anything drastic is good, in my opinion. You don't want to overwhelm yourself with too many changes all at once. Making little changes over a period of time is what works for a lot of people. Changing your diet is key! To start I cut out all drinks except water, coffee, and tea, and I limit my coffee to one per day, maybe 2 if I feel like I could really use it. Next I eliminated all refined sugar and highly processed foods. Once I had my diet in check I began to add in exercise 4-6 days a week and also try to add in a little extra movement where I can. Like while brushing my teeth, slow times at work, and parking father away from places I can walk to.

That is what I have been doing, and I hope it can help you!! This is a great place to get ideas, and support! Some of the people here have been at it for a while and have a lot to offer those of us who are just getting started. It is a difficult process but so rewarding!! I wish you the best in your efforts and will offer any help I can

xopeaceandlovexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #3  

Thanks so much for the welcome and offer of help.

I have been taking baby steps at this. I've been walking more (listening to audio books on tape instead of sitting in front of the TV), cutting out fast food (which has been very difficult), and pop (which I drank way too much of). Changing my diet is going to be difficult, since I'm such a picky eater though. I was raised in a meat and potato family, and veggies just weren't something that was ever around too much.

This is going to be hard work, but I'm thinking having this forum, and others going through the same thing, is going to help me out a lot.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

There are a lot of ways to introduce veggies into your diet. You can "hide" them in lots of stuff. In some things, they can't even be tasted.

You don't have to change everything at once. Even small changes done consistently make a huge difference. Maybe you could start by eating a healthy breakfast every day. Then, once this is a habit, make a change to your lunch. Then a few weeks later, make an effort to eat a healthy dinner. Even if you do this 75-80% of the time, you will be making great headway.

If you can't choose a healthy meal, just choose a small portion of whatever you are eating. It costs the same to waste it as it does to eat it-except this isn't entirely true. If you always eat it all, it costs you a normal weight, and perhaps a life free of diabetes and heart disease. So it really costs more to eat it than to waste it.

Put the fork down between bites, and drink a big glass of water during your meal. Eat very slowly, chew it up really well, and really taste it. Don't have the next bite loaded before you swallow the first one. Don't eat between meals, unless you are truly hungry-if so, eat something healthier-a small piece of fruit or some nuts. Don't eat junk- cookies, desserts, etcetera-even granola bars can be loaded with sugar, even though it seems healthy. Find healthy recipes for some of your favorite meals. Don't eat in a restaurant unless they offer nutritional information.

Pick foods that you know will fill you up with the smallest portion. For me, foods high in carbohydrates like bread and pasta make me hungry, and I can't control myself around them. Meat and veggies, or beans and veggies usually fill me up pretty good. There is a volumetrics thread on this site, which is about eating larger amounts of food for fewer calories. It also helps sneak vegetables in. Be careful with high calorie foods like oils and nut butters. Don't cut these things out, but pay close attention to how much you are eating. Once you start saying no, and you see the scale go down, it gets a lot easier. Don't go crazy trying to limit fat. If you want to cut something down, refined carbohydrates would be the thing to axe. Sugar and highly processed carbohydrates do nothing but spike insulin, and insulin is a hormone that loves to store fat. Choose slower burning carbs, and eat enough protein and good fats.

I put a picture of my favorite fitness model on my fridge, because it makes me think twice about what I am eating. I also leave an outfit out that I would love to fit into, so I can see it every day. It is a permanent thing. You always have to be mindful of how and what you eat. Maintenance will last forever, so you have to be prepared to keep it off once you get it off. There is no other way but to continue to be mindful and keep making more good choices than bad. Best of luck.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #5  

Very great advice. Thanks so much. This is definitely going to be a process.

I've been slowly adding the veggies in. Mostly hidden in soups and omelets. I've really got to learn about cooking them better though. I've just never had the experience with it. A friend of mine was telling me the reason most people hate veggies is just that they've never had them cooked properly.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

My recent veggie I have been putting in everything is chayote squash. You just peel them, and you can eat them raw (I don't), or cook them. I put them in soups. When you cook them like that, they have a texture and mouth feel almost like a potato. But the plus side is, they have a fraction of the calories and carbohydrates. This = full, but with fewer calories. Always a plus. My husband even eats them, and he doesn't really like most veggies.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote