Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/195/130

Height: 5'3"

Default I Can't Do This Alone

Where do I begin?

I'm 36 years old, and I've struggled with emotional eating since I was 18. That's when I moved away from home and was able to control the kinds of food I bought and how much of it I kept in the house (or dorm room). While my friends were out partying and enjoying the freedom of college life, I became depressed and reclusive, often seeking (and finding!) solace in a package of Oreo cookies. Since then, I have turned to food whenever I've needed to cope with particularly distressing feelings. With a divorce, a devastating job loss, the death of my father, and an emotionally abusive long-term relationship all occurring in the past 18 years, I've had lots of reason to need support.

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety at the age of 19, but by that point, I had already fallen into a pattern of cry/eat/cry more/eat again. I gained 30 pounds within three months of turning 18, and put on another 10 over the next year. I married at 22 and had my first daughter at 23. During that pregnancy, I gained 50 pounds and initially only lost 20. I took an antidepressant periodically that would help me lose 20-30 pounds, but I'd always go off it and the weight would come right back.

I've done a number of things over the years to get the weight off or replace the food addiction with something else. At 29, I even started smoking to help cope with my emotional problems. While it did help me lose a ton of weight (I got back down to 150, which is my lowest adult weight), the habit was so disgusting and I was so embarrassed by my desperation that I was never open about it (if anyone suspected it, they never said anything), and I quit cold turkey just two years later. Not surprisingly, all my weight came back... and then some.

At the beginning of this year, I was doing relatively well, and I managed to get back down to around 175 through diet and exercise. Then, I finished and defended my thesis, which demanded lots of comfort food and booze -- and prompted a 20-pound weight gain. This leads me to where I am now: a weak and exhausted 195 pounds at 5'3".

Today, I am happily remarried. I have had a second daughter, who is now 29 months old. My husband is wonderfully supportive, but he does not understand the emotional component of my overeating. I am now at my second-highest non-pregnancy weight and can't really do much in the way of physical activity these days without needing a nap. My long-term goal is to get down to around 130 pounds, but my short-term goal is simply to reduce my dependence on junk food for emotional comfort. I think talking to people who have been in the same boat might help.

Anyway, there's my probably-too-long introductory post! Can't wait to get to know all of you!

xo
justdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #2  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

Quote:
While my friends were out partying and enjoying the freedom of college life, I became depressed and reclusive, often seeking (and finding!) solace in a package of Oreo cookies. Since then, I have turned to food whenever I've needed to cope with particularly distressing feelings. With a divorce, a devastating job loss, the death of my father, and an emotionally abusive long-term relationship all occurring in the past 18 years, I've had lots of reason to need support.
I can relate to what you are saying, I cut social ties after a horrible long separation and then divorce with an abusive X as well. We had been together for 15 years, I understand. I buried myself in food as every bad thing ever said or done by X seemed to hover over me. You can do this! I never lost the weight I gained with each child, I also went thru quitting smoking, returning to the work force, and the shock a couple years later of dating.

Quote:
husband is wonderfully supportive, but he does not understand the emotional component of my overeating.
My new husband and I have been together 6 years. I was at my highest weight when we reconnected as friends and then dated..242 lbs. He never brought my weight up, ever. I began a course of trying to fix my weight problem as he is skinny and active and I never felt comfortable. I suffer from binge eating which my husband doesn't understand is even a condition. He is one of those people who believe all you have to do is eat less and lose weight. Well, when your addicted to food and binge eating, this is difficult. I wish you the best, and know your not alone.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi justdana! There are so many of us here who are emotional eaters and understand how you feel. You'll find lots of support! You have some smart goals and you can do this! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Hi there, and welcome to the forums
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote