Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5 ft 10 in

Default New to fitness

Hi all

I have never thought about weight loss before but recently I have wanted to look leaner and more fit. But after 3 months of trying, my weight hasn't changed. I would like more tips and help on my fitness journey
appledore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

What kind of things do you like to do. I love walking. All you need is a pair of good shoes and able legs. I have a fit bit which is a high tech pedometer and it really has help me move more. I could barely walk 1/2 mile 4 months ago and now am walking 5 miles a day.
There are inexpensive dvd's or go check out your local gym.
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #3  

I like bike to work, but during the summer it's just too hot, and during summer is when I gain the most weight. I should bike more once autumn and winter come. I don't know if I'll be able to walk 5 miles a day. There are not a lot of hiking trails in my city.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

You'll need to lift weights, and lift heavy. Usually choosing a weight that you can do around 10 reps max before failure. Do 3-5 sets of those 10 reps.

Theres machines at my gym but I prefer to do free weights. I have an app on my phone called fitness buddy that shows me a ton of exercises using almost any piece of equipment and how to do them. Cardio is good for fat loss, but won't really do jack to build lean muscle. Make sure your protein intake is good too 100+ grams is usually pretty good.

I;ve been lifting with barely any cardio and I can tell you i'm stronger then I've ever been in my life. My diet is not on point, I pretty much eat wtf I want and thats probably why I'm not losing steadily but I'm working on that. Personally my schedule is arms one day, legs, rest, chest, back, rest. On rest days I might go do 20 mins of cardio (stairmaster for my butt)

But lifting has gotten rid of the bingo wings and now I have visible bis and tris so hollerrr I started leg presses at like 140lbs or something like that and now I can do 400lbs. Fitness goals also keeps you more sane.

I suggest NOT using the scale. You retain water a lot more when you lift and the numbers will give you brain trauma. I use tape measure to track my losses.
iixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #5  

Okay, you've got a point. Obsessing over the scale number is not the way to go because there are so many variables that make up your weight, and some variables are much more important than others. Muscle and fat weight are more important than water weight, for example.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Appledore! Be sure to check out the fitness section here! Also, if you are trying to lose weight, keep in mind that diet plays a big part in that. Be sure you are eating in a healthy way. Good luck in your journey!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote