Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/240/170

Height: 5'10

Default Let the fight commence!

I'm not sure if I've actually seen anyone younger than me, or around he same age as me on here yet so if u can relate to anything I say and you're of a similar age then let me know, that'd be great.

I'm 16, turning 17 in around 5 months. I'm in 6th form and I've pretty much been larger than all my friends since I was in primary school. I've always been the same weight as my age (in stones e.g Age 10, 10 stone) since I started getting bigger ive always been bullied even when I was 6 years old. I wasnt a large baby nor when I was around the ages of 2-3. I've lived alone with my mum for the 16 years of my life and to be honest, I think this is the problem. A lot of my family are on the large side, and my mum has always fed me well and often. There was a point where i was having takeaways 2-3 times a week.

I've tried diets in the past even at the age of 11 but being so dependant on my mum, if she failed the diet that meant she would stop buying healthy food and go back to junk, which of course meant i did too as I was pretty much unable to cook for myself which just meant i continued to gain weight. But these past few months that I've had on study leave has suddenly made everything real almost.

I look at other girls my age, people who are perfectly skinny and wish and prey that I could be them. I haven't been able to wear shorts infront of anyone but my mum and nan, even in the summer I wear jeans and jumpers because I feel paranoid if my arms and legs show.

I've also been feeling really depressed everytime I step on the scales or feel bad everytime I eat. I currently weigh 17st 2lbs, which I think is 240lbs. The heaviest I've been in my life is 17st 7lbs (which was 1 week ago, but I've lost 7lbs and gained 2lbs for not eating enough or whatever) I started this diet by myself, without my mum and I've been exercising everyday and watching what I'm eating.

I've made a promise to myself that I will be around 170-160lbs by the time I finish my A levels, so that leaves me 2 years to lose 70-80lbs. Let the fight commence!

Last edited by Annoyed; 09-01-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Annoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Annoyed! It's been a lonnnnnnnggg time since I was your age, but there are lots of people here who are not too much older than you and lots of people who have been in your shoes and understand what you are going through. You'll find great support here and people who want to see you succeed! I'm so glad you've given yourself a reasonable amount of time to meet your goal. So many young people want immediate results, yet it took time to put the weight on and it will take time to take it off, so good for you in understanding that! Good luck in your weight loss journey! You can do it!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #3  

Hi

I am very much your senior, (72 and male) but I hear you loud and clear.

Let me say, you can do it, and you can do it much faster than you think you can due to your age.

Some years back, a young friend stayed with me to help fix up a house I bought. He was severely overweight and wanted it off so he would be more attractive to girls also. He asked me how he could lose it and if I would help him. I told him I could tell him how and support him, but could do nothing more than that. His parents, especially his dad, ate way too often, and way too much when he did, the kid ate the same way.

I showed him the field next to me and told him it was half a mile long, to run the length and back 3 times a day and eat smaller portions of his food. He did and sliced 30 lbs off in 45 days time. What a difference it made on that 14 year old boy

Your weight is much more, so I would reccomend just walking about 4 miles a day fast, running would be too much stress on your bones even if you can do it. When the weight gets down jogging some could be fit in.

I do not know how to handle the problem with purchasing the sort of health foods you wish, but you can manage smaller portions in some way. Try to stay up with your calorie intake, calculate the required calories that you need to maintain your weight and stay under that. Remember, you do not have to be less every single day, even if you wind up going out with friends and pigging out to an extent. Just resume the lower calorie intake without guilt or remorse and continue on. Many fail to stick with "diets" which consist of foods they do not like and going around being hungry. Learn to eat smaller portions, exercise and how to manage with the foods you do have.

Take what you want of what I say and let the rest go

And the very best to and for you, I want to see you succeed

B F R
Big Fat Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #4  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fat Rooster View Post
Hi

Learn to eat smaller portions, exercise and how to manage with the foods you do have.

B F R
Just the point I wanted to make. First let me say welcome and we are glad to have you join us! Now the best advice I can give you from my 35 years of weight loss/gain roller coaster experience is to quit going on "diets". Design you a healthy eating plan and slowly add some form of exercise. You don't want this to be a diet, you want it to be a lifestyle change. I have a severe back injury so I do water exercise. If you have the opportunity in your neighborhood, I would recommend the same for you as it is much easier on your joints. If not, find you some upbeat music you like, put it in your Ipod or MP3 player (or whatever technology you may have for such things) and get out and walk to the music. It will help you lose weight and will improve that depression and your overall well-being to just get outside and get some fresh air. Start out at a walk fast enough to get you sweating but not so fast that you can't speak without effort and strive to do it 5 times per week. Then add 5 minutes per week until you get to about 45 mins to 1 hour. Also pick up your speed as you get more accustomed to it. You are on the right track by starting your plan and looking for motivation and support. I look forward to following your success, I am here rooting for you.
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 500/487/150

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! I'm 30 now, but I'd like to think 16 wasn't so long ago. I was large my entire life, too. My mom is big and always has been. My dad was big, had gastric bypass and got small, and now he's big again. While I cannot blame them now, as I'm an adult, I COMPLETELY blame my parents, especially my mother, for my being a large child and teenager. There was never healthy food in the house, she never taught me about nutrition or exercise (things I had to learn on my own and only in the last couple of years). I held a lot of resentment for my mom until I talked to her about it a few months ago. We're closer now (though I noticed she still doesn't make an effort to change her lifestyle).

My suggestion is to keep doing what you're doing (as long as it's healthy). Have you tried talking to your mom about how you feel? Explain to her that you need the moral support. You can't control her eating habits, but maybe if you talk to her, she can help make sure healthy things are in the house for you.

Good luck!
nerdywords is offline   Reply With Quote