Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/164/160 lbs

Height: 5'6"

Default I dig this dancing carrot

(Just because I couldn't think of a better title.) Hi. This is my first time posting not only on this forum but on any weight loss forum. I've been listening to the audiobook version of The Power of Habit and it emphasizes the importance of a supportive community in changing habits. So I thought I'd give it a try, especially when I woke up this morning and weighed myself and I was 169. I ate a potato yesterday. It wasn't even a big potato.

Diabetes runs in my family. My grandmother had it and my mother had it. My uncle was recently diagnosed. I am determined not to get it. Back in my 30s, I hit an all-time high of 180 lbs and was diagnosed with PCOS. I read some PCOS forums on the Internet and found that a lot of people were on low-carb diets. So I cut bread out of my diet and effortlessly lost 20 lbs.

Well, it's gotten a bit harder since then. (I'm in my 40s now.) There were times I tried to convince myself that I'd be OK eating bread if it was whole-grain, and then I'd be back at 180. So now I seldom eat bread, but I have a weakness for all forms of potato, especially fried, and for chocolate. It all tends to make my weight inch up. So my intention is to cut out all potato and chocolate. What is going to make my life worth living now, I don't know. Sex? I'd better have lots of sex.

Thanks for listening.
Creativian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #2  

yum, potatoes and chocolate--just not together. :-)
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Creativian! Welcome! I love your sense of humor. I am now on a low-ish carb diet. Diabetes 1 and 2, as well as hypoglycemia, run in my family. For 6 days a week I eat lean meats, fish, eggs, legumes, and non-starchy vegetables and completely avoid breads and grains, fruit (except for tomatoes and avocado), dairy (except for eggs and cottage cheese), sugary foods, and starchy vegetables (your beloved potatoes). The 7th day, however, is a cheat day at which time I can eat anything. It's actually part of the diet. It's recommended so you won't feel denied and will stick to the diet and so your metabolism won't think you're starving yourself and stall. It's called the Slow Carb Diet. Maybe something like this would work for you too. Whatever weight loss method you use (including sex, lol!), good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #4  

Thanks Kaitie9399--I'm not sure potatoes and chocolate couldn't go together well. I've got recipe for chocolate cake with potatoes in it--courtesy of P.E.I. tourism. Never tried it though.

Thanks Jacqui_D! I think the cheating principle is sound. I never heard of the Slow Carb diet before but it sounds good. However, I think I will see how long I can go without potatoes and chocolate, since I'm starting out. Perhaps after that I'll work in a weekly cheat. Question: can you move your cheat day around to accommodate things like holidays and parties?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Yes, I believe you can move it around. I certainly plan to! I haven't read a book on this diet. I found out about it through an article on Huffington Post titled "How One Woman Went from Obesity to a Bikini Body" (you can google it), and then there was a link to another blog in that article. I read both and then googled "Slow Carb Diet" and found a little more. The creator of this diet is the author of the 4-Hour Diet book and so I think either these diets are related or they could be the same diet. I'm not sure since I haven't read his book. In any event, this diet is working well for me so far!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #7  

Thanks penmage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
Yes, I believe you can move it around. I certainly plan to! I haven't read a book on this diet. I found out about it through an article on Huffington Post titled "How One Woman Went from Obesity to a Bikini Body" (you can google it), and then there was a link to another blog in that article. I read both and then googled "Slow Carb Diet" and found a little more. The creator of this diet is the author of the 4-Hour Diet book and so I think either these diets are related or they could be the same diet. I'm not sure since I haven't read his book. In any event, this diet is working well for me so far!
Sounds good. Flexibility is important, right? I'll look it up. I hope it continues to work for you!