Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #1  
Hopeful

Default Getting personal

Hi everyone. I'm here because I really need to lose weight. I mean it this time. I mean it everytime I try to lose weight, but this time, I really mean it. (sigh)

I have been overweight since I was nine. I don't know why, but for some reason I gained like 25 pounds between 8 and 9 years old. I was still very active - I was super muscly (is that a word?) and very active, yet by my 8th grade year, I already weighed over 160lbs. yikes. Nobody would have guessed I weighed that much. A lot of my weight was muscle, and I was big boned.

In high school, I was the dance team captain, even though I weighed 200lbs by my senior year.

Over the many years since then, I have had little success dieting. Except that one time... the time that I lost 50lbs too quick-like and ended up with horrible gall stones. Even though I can no longer get gall stones (no gall bladder), I think I am subconsciously afraid to lose weight because of that. Add in to the fact that I am super shy with low self confidence.... I guess I am hiding behind my weight.

My weight hasn't really been a problem, medically (no doctor had ever suggested that I lose weight), until now. I received my first "you need to lose weight" lecture today from my doc. I had not been to see a doc in years (except for antidepressants), but since I had been having a lot of pain lately, I decided that it was time.

My current pains are: left shoulder, left upper back, left lower back, left hip, left muscle between ribs, right wrist, both thumbs, both feet, and tingly nerve issues on bottom of feet.

I feel way too old for my age.

I had not weighed myself in over 4 months, and I was shocked to discover that I had gained 30 pounds. I knew my pants had gotten tight, but 30 lbs?!?!?!?

My doc thinks that I might be showing early signs of osteoarthritis.
And he said that I have too much weight on my weight bearing joints.
He thinks that my weight is too much for the nerves on the bottom of my feet. Apparently, my weight is damaging my feet and wearing them down.

I have a four year old who needs his mama to be able to play and enjoy life.

I am extremely depressed tonight. I need to do something.

I hurt too much and am so tired, which makes cooking and exercising so hard. Yet I need to exercise and make better food choices in order to have energy and not hurt so much.

Calorie counting doesn't work for me. I fixate way too much on each morsel, which sucks any joy out of my life. Plus, I am all "all or nothing" dieter.... when calorie counting, that is devastating for my diet.
Don't even get me started on "points". lol.

I am going to need a lot of emotional support on this journey.

If you made it this far, thanks for your time.
snicker311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #2  
Put good in, get good out

S/C/G: 290/283/200

Height: 5'10"

You can do this! Right off the bat, you need to believe in yourself. I just met you and I'm confident you will achieve your goals!

I too have had issues with weight baring joints. My feet go numb and I have terrible knees. I know it's from the large amount of weight I carry around my hips and thighs (hello pear shape!).

If you need a motivational partner or somebody to lean on, I'm here for you!

Us girls gotta stick together!
Airycuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #3  
Hopeful

Thank you so much for your support.
It means a lot to me that someone believes in me. <3
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #4  
Put good in, get good out

S/C/G: 290/283/200

Height: 5'10"

No problem, sister. I'm having a hard time keeping up the motivation (just did the 45 min cardio part of Turbo Jam, just about to do abs) and I'm dying here!

I figure that if I can help motivate somebody else to achieve higher goals, maybe they could help me too!

Anyways, holler my way if you ever need anything.
Airycuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #6  
Hopeful

Thanks, Mozzy!
Good luck on your journey as well.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #7  
babybat

Height: 5'7

welcome and good luck
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #8  
Hopeful

All this support is really starting to cheer me up!
Thanks!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Welcome snicker! Looks like you've already found a weight loss buddy. I've found this website to be very helpful, and I hope you find the same motivation and support.

One of the best things I've learned from my weight loss journey is body awareness. By that, I mean how my body responds to different portions of food and what food represents in different emotional states. When I'm anxious/nervous/stressed, food is calming. When I'm depressed, food is comforting. When I'm happy, food is celebratory. The fact is, I love food, and I'm prone to overeating. Knowing that, it's easier to keep myself in check.

Also, I see that you're normal and have tried several times to lose weight. I'm right there with you - I've played that gain-loss game for the past 4 years and finally decided that I needed a real commitment to change. That said, I was doing great before Thanksgiving and the holidays just sent me back into bad eating habits. I was kinda (ok, VERY) down on myself for going off track, but this site really helps to put it into perspective: the holidays were 2 months long, and it's never too late to get back on track.

So, welcome to 3FC and good luck on your journey! You'll do it this time - we're here to cheer you on!
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Welcome and good luck!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote