Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'4"

Default I gain weight looking at food!

I'm 22 years old, and I'm very unhappy with myself i've tried alot of random diets and dropped ten or twenty pounds here and there but nothing what reaching my goal wait in the time I wanted so I kinda of gave up and have been gaining slowly ever since about 20 lbs a year. I don't really overeat, but when I do it it usually isnt something healthy. I am also a bartender/waitress so I indulge in activity that way but it just isn't enough. I have a slow metabolism and this runs in my family my mother and grandmother have both struggled with weight there whole life. So, I decided to give this a try. Slimfast, and I already know I will only be loosing 10-20 lbs a months and I am okay with that I realized this will be a quite long batter for me to reach my goal. So my question is, I know I am drastically cutting my calories and is this healthy?
Slim Shake - 180
Slim Snack - 100
Meal - 500
Slim Bar - 180
Other snack - ( some kind of fruit or granola bar ) 100 - 200

so I reach about 1100 calories a day, is this healthy? I feel so much better just in the past few days I've started! I've also been hitting the gym everyday and trying to burn a minimum of 500 calories so this puts me at a net of around 600 according to myfitnesspal, which says I should consume up to 1200 but I just don't want too! Does anyone have any tips that I can healthily consume this and not feel gross or guilty? Or is 600 a day enough?
elmojawn601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Welcome! I am a lot older than you but I too have a really slow metabolism. I have found protein shakes to be very helpful in my weight loss journey. I find the higher protein ones keep the hunger at bay much better. Depending on which Slim Fast you use, those can be pretty high carb if I remember correctly. Some of the powdered, higher protein shakes taste really good and are easier to handle (no lugging cans around), and you can use them to make smoothies with some fruit or vegetables added.

Which brings me to my next bit of advice. Make sure you eat lots of vegetables. They really help fill you up for very few calories and are so important to body functions and nutrition. Salads, green veggies, cauliflower, etc.

10-20 pounds a month is very ambitious, especially if you have a slow metabolism, and I would hate for you to get frustrated and quit if you can't maintain that rate of weight loss. You may find you can do that the first couple of months, but 5 pounds a month may be the best you can do over the long haul - that's all I can manage. I eat less than the plan you described, I exercise somewhat less, but 5 pounds loss is a good month for me.

Best of luck on your journey. I recently joined this site and it's the best support I can imagine.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, good luck on your journey.
I think 1200 calories is a minimum, but you may want to consult a dietician to help you plan your calories, especially with such an ambitious workout plan.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Every health podcast I listen to states that in order to lose weight, you need to eat more. With that, I would say that 1100 calories and exhausting yourself at the gym (500 calories burned with only 1100 intake a day) will produce an opposite effect on your health, weight, and metabolism.

*I'm not a doctor, this is only what I've heard on weight loss/health&fitness podcasts.*

I listen to two podcasts: Fat2Fit and CutTheFatPodcast. They both discuss a lot of issues on healthy weight loss that really speaks to me. I've been listening to health podcasts for about a year now, and these two just help me calm down and focus. I've learned that combating my anxiety is/was my first step toward losing weight. Also, for me, working out on very low calories made me binge eat because I was so low on energy which lead me to go off my plan and get really depressed because i wasn't losing weight. Exercise is great and healthy, but you need enough calories so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode and begin storing all of your calories as fat in order to protect the body.

I think dropping your calories down is a big change and likely a shock to your body. I'm sure you feel good because you're getting the endorphin rush from your workouts and your're putting your body through a cleanse in a way with the reduced calories. However, I fear too low of calories for too long will cause your body to slow in it's metabolism because it's not getting enough nutrients.

I would check out some websites by doing a "healthy weight loss search" and see what calorie intake they suggest for you. Healthy weight loss is approximately 1-2 pounds per week, which is why (like me) you may have gained and lost so much in the past.

Good luck and stick around on 3FC. It's been a huge support for me, especially on days where I've wanted to give up and binge on all sort of bad-for-me foods.

Let us know how you're doing
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #5  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

I agree that sounds low for calorie intake. You may want to search the calorie caluculators online and find one that works for you. I know I finally settled with mine, but our data is different. Don't get too few calories. It is nice to meet you and I wish you the best of success on your pursuit.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #6  

Yeah, the anxiety for me was the worst part as well I think thats why alot of my diets had failed. I had anxiety about coming to grips with the fact that hey, I'm not skinny! So I would diet secretly and not tell anyone for some reason it made me feel uncomfortable if someone new I was dieting or if someone offered me something to eat and I say "No I can't im dieting" Definetly produces alot of anxiety in me and im sure it will in the future. But this time, I really want to take it seriously nothing will magically get this weight off me so I told my boyfriend I was dieting and my family and when my coworkers ask I tell them as well, and i've only gotten positive feedback so not bad!

Yeah, on my fitnessplan app it says my calorie intake is too low it says I should take 1600 a day w/o the excersizing but I just really don't want to do that! I do get hungry but if im not suppose to eat I drink water. I'm gonna keep it for a month maybe eat some extra fruit nuts and veggies and see what my results are. I really want to make a permanent life change with this and not just reach my goal.

Everyone on this forums seems really nice and supportive! Thats why I joined! I hope I can stick it out! Grilled Chicken Salad for dinner tonight
Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #7  

and 5 pounds a month! Oh I'm gonna need patients but I know that is the normal and that is the best way to achieve long term weight loss im just hoping in the beginning because im so overweight it will be more of a 10-20 pound loss in the first month or two then if it drops down thats okay either way I'm sticking it out!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Welcome, elmojawn601! When you count calories, are you factoring in your BMR? I'll just go ahead and tell you that, in my opinion---and this is coming from someone who's tried everything under the sun including the method you're doing---your current plan as it stands is probably gonna do you much much more harm than good. You said you've tried dieting in the past but always failed? This one will probably fail too. You're setting yourself up for failure. You shouldn't look at it as a diet; i.e., something you can start with an end date. You should be looking at this as a lifestyle change; something that you will be able to sustain for the long term. Eating the way you suggest isn't something you could sustain for long and it might cause you to give up and fall again. First off, you're eating below the minimum. Have you used any online calculators to figure out what amount you should be consuming for weight loss? Also---and this has been a big change I had to make myself---but you really should be consuming fruits and vegetables. Everything you're taking in now is low calorie, but offers nothing else healthwise. You may feel good now in the beginning but eventually you might get tired and lethargic. You're not getting enough nutrients in. Try having an apple with your morning SlimFast and some steamed broccoli with your lunch. I don't wanna discourage you; I'm far from a health professional and I'm sure someone here with lots more information will chime in. And I think it's awesome that you're deciding to take the bull by the horns and tackle your weight. But if you say your metabolism is already slow, consuming as little as you are now will eventually just grind it to a halt. Believe me. I've tried every fat diet under the sun and even some that my Dr. put me on. The best method I've found is eating three meals a day, lots of fresh fruit and veggies, and staying away from processed foods. If you can, consult with a dietician; they'll be able to work out a meal plan with you. If you don't have access to one, Google has been my go-to for every question under the sun. And there are lots of really knowledgeable folks here who can give you all kinds of info and support. Good luck!!!!
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/185/130

Height: 66"

It is very scientific. Based on your age, height, gender, and level of activity you find your caloric intake necessary to maintain your current weight. (there are websites with calculators.) Then you aim to lose 2 pounds a week (that is the safest way) which 1pound equals 3500 calories. You would need a deficit of 1000 calories a day from your first number (calories needed to maintain.) Regardless of any of the above everyone says no less than 1200 a day.
eclecticgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Personally I don't think your plan is healthy at ALL (since I am a firm believer in eating healthful foods), but I suppose that is your decision. I suggest medical supervision (and yes, I do that myself and am thankful for a very supportive doctor who considers us a team).

Regarding the slow metabolism, I know whereof I speak. I take necessary meds that cause weight gain and also am hypothyroid to the extent that I have had a large tumor removed so have 1/2 a thyroid and one parathyroid missing. Yes, it makes it harder but it does not mean we cannot lose weight if we really work at it and eat healthful foods, and not too much of it.

In any case, losing 10-20 pounds a month is not "only" -- that is very rapid weight loss.

You can do this!!! Go for it.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 12-07-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote