Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Newcomer here!

Hey there!

I'm Robin, I'm 21. I'm currently a senior in College.

I've struggled with my weight throughout high school, but in College I reached my heaviest weight at about 225lbs in 2010.

In these last two years I've worked to shed some weight, my lightest has been about 195 in the summer of 2011. However, I've put a lot back on and I'm now around 215.

I came here to look for motivation. I have been very disappointed in myself as of late, but I can't seem to motivate myself to go to the gym.

I have learned a lot about how weight loss works FOR ME (let's face it, it's different for everyone) in the past few years. I've learned that I drop weight easily, but I've also learned I am capable of gaining it back just as fast.

So a little bit about me:
My parents are both overweight. We're all fed up with being overweight, but we all lack motivation.
I am a martial artist and have been for the past 15 years. People tend to look at me weird when I say that since the stereotype is that martial artists are slim or lean. When I began working out seriously, I realized my 15+ years of training gave me some advantages, even though I'm pretty heavy. I have a LOT of endurance, flexibility, and strength for someone my size.
I have a very physically active job at a portrait studio right now, that (at the moment) I work on weekends. At college, I will walk an average of 2-4 miles a day.

I want to lose weight because:
1) I'm tired of being overweight. Of going shopping and finding very little that fits my body. Of going shopping and not being able to wear a style I'd like to because of my weight.
2) To improve my martial arts. I mean yeah, you improve with practice, and I've won my share of medals. But if I were lighter, I know I'd improve at a much quicker pace.

I'm interested in becoming faster (when it comes to running and karate) and becoming stronger (so weight lifting and strength training). My goal weight is 150, which is about 65-70lbs lighter.

I look forward to getting to know some of you guys and getting to poke around the community a bit. I'm hoping to become active, find some of the support and motivation I'm looking for, and get started dropping weight!
Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #2  
Not trying-just doing

S/C/G: 254/237/155

Height: 5'7"

Welcome! I'm pretty new here to, but I've already noticed the people on this site are awesome at helping with motivation.
Megzfit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megzfit1 View Post
Welcome! I'm pretty new here to, but I've already noticed the people on this site are awesome at helping with motivation.
Welcome to you as well! I was just exploring the forums and it seems like there's a ton of great discussions and helpfulness going on
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #4  
RawFoodie Maintainer :)

Height: 5'5

Yay, welcome I know you can do it!

You will reach your goals, 2013 is your year
InspiredBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 136/133/80

Height: 172cm

Default Congrats on joining

hello and welcome!

I'm new here as well and am also 21 and a senior in college so I know how hard it can be to juggle different things.

Best of luck.

Emmy
Emmy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello and

Personally, I think motivation is highly overrated... our feelings are fickle and frequently change and float all over the place. It has to be a *decision* we make and determination.

Glad you are here... there IS a lot of support and encouragement to be had!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Welcome, Robin! You sound pretty active, which is much more than I can say. I have a pretty sedentary job and the only physical activity I get is when I make myself workout in the evenings. If it's motivation you lack, have you tried finding a workout partner? Having someone else to exercise holds you more accountable to your own workouts. Also, what's your calorie intake look like?
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #9  

Woo sorry, I've been super busy and haven't been around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBy View Post
Yay, welcome I know you can do it!

You will reach your goals, 2013 is your year
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy1991 View Post
hello and welcome!

I'm new here as well and am also 21 and a senior in college so I know how hard it can be to juggle different things.

Best of luck.

Emmy
Hey there fellow college kid! Best of luck to you as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
Hello and

Personally, I think motivation is highly overrated... our feelings are fickle and frequently change and float all over the place. It has to be a *decision* we make and determination.

Glad you are here... there IS a lot of support and encouragement to be had!!!
So true - I just need to work on making that decision to go our and sweat!
Thanks for the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakilaulea View Post
Welcome, Robin! You sound pretty active, which is much more than I can say. I have a pretty sedentary job and the only physical activity I get is when I make myself workout in the evenings. If it's motivation you lack, have you tried finding a workout partner? Having someone else to exercise holds you more accountable to your own workouts. Also, what's your calorie intake look like?
Thank you! Nice to meet you

I'm actually not a fan of having a workout partner. I like to do things at my own pace, so I've always felt like having a partner slowed me down. Plus there are many different things I do at a gym workout so I hated feeling like I was dragging my partner around.

Right now it's between 1200-1500 a day. It all depends on the day/my schedule, and the food on campus isn't all too healthy either.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #10  
Scream & Shout!

S/C/G: 176/174/130

Height: 5'3

College kid here too! Martial arts? That's so amazing!! I instantly think your awesome!
Iluvdeftones is offline   Reply With Quote