Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 521/509/200

Height: 6'0

Default New Girl on the Block... :)

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and recently I began to rein in my diet and have seen the numbers start to go the OTHER way on the scale for a change (yay!). Despite it, I really felt like I could use some friends who understand what it takes to make such a huge change in your life, and also who will help hold me accountable to make sure I stay on track this time.

I've jumped on (and fallen off) the wagon more times than I care to count. I'm 28 years old, and haven't seen the other side of 200 pounds since I was 12 years old. I surpassed 300 pounds in high school, and 400 pounds in graduate school. My highest weight was 521 pounds, 3 1/2 weeks ago. I was terrified, I didn't think I'd let it get that bad. Since then, I've made a drastic change to my diet (from fast food, take out, and delivery to home cooked meals, lots of organic veggies and lean protein and low fat dairy), and have lost 12 pounds so far. I have a lot more to go... I'm scared that if I can't achieve my goal now, that this may be my last chance.

I'm an emotional and boredom eater, and trying to work past those obstacles, along with the obstacles that come with trying to cook yourself healthful meals while working long rotating shifts. I'm fortunate in that I'm not diabetic, my blood pressure is normal, and I don't have a lot of the other problems that come along with being overweight (aside from back pain/fatigue). I don't know how this happened, but I do know it's not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN it happens to me, and I want to try to stop it before it does.

I guess I'm just looking for support from people who can understand the emotional impact that being obese and subsequently trying to lose the weight can have on a person. I love to talk, and I love to help others, and I'm looking forward to meeting some awesome people here.

Cheers!
shae1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Hi and welcome, shae1409! I'm an emotional/boredom eater myself. I've lived these past two years on almost nothing but junk food, so I know where you're coming from. Up until last month, I literally did not remember the last time I cooked for myself. And when I was at my highest weight, I became too lazy and cut off for even takeout and started ordering delivery. It got so bad, that I had my favorite places on speed dial and all the delivery men knew me. I remember I stopped ordering from this one place for a couple weeks and when I decided to order from them again, the driver showed up at my door and was asking what had happened to me, everyone there was worried about me. How embarrassing!!!

I also come from a family of obesity. All my siblings are obese--one is classified super-obese and another is morbidly-obese. I obviously cannot get support from them and I don't have too much friends where I live and so I found this site to be very very helpful for me. There are a lot of supportive, helpful girls and guys here who will cheer you on and hold you accountable! Check out some of the challenges threads that are posted; I joined a couple myself since joining this month and they've really helped to keep me on task.

I'm thinking since I see so many other Amazons here (I'm 5'10" myself), maybe we should start up a Tall Girl Club! I know we carry our weight differently and, I for one have a hard time shopping for clothes and I think it'd be cool to get your support as I continue this journey. Glad you joined and I look forward to reading on your progress

Last edited by Lakilaulea; 10-25-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello and welcome! So glad you joined us and have a commitment to get your weight under control. Ref cooking, I have learned a lot of ways to make it easier... especially steaming stuff in the microwave. In fact you can buy microwave "steamer bags" that cook veggies and stuff wonderfully in just a few minutes.

Congratulations on your start! Stick around and you will find a lot of support here. You can do this.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote