Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

Default New here!

Hi,

I have been lurking for a few months and I have found this forum very helpful in my journey.

I am 5'3", my start weight was 185 and I am now 160.6

I didn't tell anyone that I was beginning a weight loss journey. I opened my Lose It app (downloaded a year or so ago) and started counted calories.

Anyway, I just received a snotty comment from a co-worker and I didn't want to be rude, so I am writing here.

I have been very hungry today due to my TOM. So, even though I am eating low calorie foods and staying on plan, I am eating often. My co-worker mentioned that I have been eating a lot today. I said "I know why I'm so hungry", She said "Because you are starving yourself". I said, "for someone who is starving themselves I sure do go to the grocery store every morning". That shut her up, because it made her realize that she always sees me eating/snacking.

Today I wore my new size medium shirt and my figure flattering pants. She said "Where are you going? You look nice, you have a job interview?" With a smile on her face. I thought it was a dig but I wasn't sure until the starving yourself comment.

I just hate that someone can minimize my accomplishment by chalking it up to starving. It is persistence and dedication to a lifestyle that has gotten me here. She wants to lose weight and I showed her the app yesterday. She said "I used to count calories but I can't anymore" So, she knows how I'm losing and she still felt the need to say something so dismissive.

My goal is 140. I will see what I want to do from there.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Also, someone on this forum mentioned adding steamed veggies to your microwave meal to beef it up a bit. Great suggestion. For 45-60 calories I can add a ton of broccoli or spinach or any of my favorite vegetable to a lunch and feel full and satisfied.

Last edited by ImImportant; 09-13-2012 at 03:08 PM.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #2  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

3 words: Haters gonna hate.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Some people are @ssholes. She is not making you feel that way, you are letting yourself feel this way. You are giving her the power and enabling it. You know it hasn't been starvation and that's all that matters. Ignore her stupidity. It's not worth your time or energy.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #3  

I'm okay now, I had to brush it off and let her comment go! Thanks SoMuchFattitude! Let me begin again!

Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking for a few months, reading the message boards and gathering good advice and ideas. Although I am a calorie counter, I tend to read across boards because I find that all of the boards information that I have been able to add to my plan.

I already mentioned the vegetables but I also learned a lot about water weight and reasons behind the gain. Because of that I don't get discouraged by a slight gain, I look at my sodium intake.

I look forward to reading and learning more as I make my way on this journey.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/183/112

Height: 5"4

some people are just mean. I HAD a friend like that, she would start a sentence sounding like a compliment then it would end up being a sly dig making me feel rubbish.

Ive just started using this forum and im hoping it will help keep me on track
chloe799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Well, one good thing, ImImportant, this incident got you to de-lurk! Welcome!

Posting is really great for all kinds of things, discussing the reactions of outsiders to our weight loss, is definitely one! On the Beck subforum the last couple of days, we've been observing that there is no where in the real world you can go to "brag" about not eating a candy bar. Of course, here we all immediately understand why that's worthy of celebration and isn't bragging at all but a well-fought battle.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

I'm glad you decided to join in. You've done a fantastic job so far and I'm sure you will reach your goal.

As far as your coworker, well we all seem to have someone(s) like that. I'm constantly told "you don't eat normal" by inlaws whose idea of normal is to the tune of 5000 calories a day and sitting in front of the TV for 6-8 hours. When I was younger that DID bother me (I was also thinner and way fitter) that I think that's part of the reason I adopted a lifestyle that wasn't conducive for health (part of it, not the entire reason). Now I've gone back to how I was and it's threatening them especially my sisters in laws and nieces. Fortunately, I'm out of state so I only deal with it occasionally.
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #7  

Smile

Thank you all for the warm welcome and understanding. I am inspired by so many of you who are at the beginning, middle and have already reached your goals! I will be checking in often.

Last edited by ImImportant; 09-13-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Wow, a 25 lb loss - that's great! Glad you joined the Forum

Oh yeah, that 'you must have a job interview' comment is awful - I've heard that a few times myself! Your co-worker is probably just jealous, or can't give a real compliment!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #9  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImImportant View Post
I'm okay now, I had to brush it off and let her comment go! Thanks SoMuchFattitude! Let me begin again!

Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking for a few months

I look forward to reading and learning more as I make my way on this journey.
WELCOME you are NOT alone anymore
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #10  

~Just a quick question not really diet related bt how do i add the ticker on the bottom?

thanks in advance
Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello, and welcome. Congrats on your 25 pound loss! And yeh, just brush off stupid comments by others. Not worth getting upset about; who knows why some people are so rude?

chloe, in order to get a ticker you have to be here a certain length of time (20 days I think) and post a certain number (20?) of posts. After that you will be able to add it by going to your user CP (top left) and following the instructions there.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165

Hey Guys Im new here and I dont really know where to start from.
I tend to lose motivation when I dont see results on the scale. I stated dieting and working out almost every day 2 weeks ago and When I weighed myself in today...I havent even lost 1 pound. Thats so depressing . It made me wanna cry. Im on TTOM tho so idk if that has something to do with my weight .
riri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #13  

Thanks Misti in Seattle

riri I was exactly the same when i started dieting then on week 3/4 I lost 7 pounds, I just think some times it takes your body a while to get use to change.