Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180 / 180 / 150

Height: 5'6"

Cool breast cancer survivor in NY

Hi, ladies

I'm a single, 56-year old divorcee who has just relocated from CA to NY to be near my two daughters, and I'm really happy I did. However, along with all my household goods, I also hauled 30 extra pounds, and I am feeling it when I wake up each morning. I work remotely from home now, have no friends yet, am too damn shy to attend any Meetups for singles my age, and, with this heat wave, have been eating quantities of ice cream, which is not helping me lose weight. I'm beginning to feel like a hermit.

I did buy a bicycle and have ridden it once, early in the morning before the sun really scorched the earth. Yesterday, I went on a long walk with someone I met online. I'm pretty sure he won't call again because he's a real fitness nut and was probably expecting the same. Also, it didn't help that I wore a dress, black low-top Converse sneakers, and carried a big purple parasol to protect my skin. You see, I come from CA, where folks dress how they like and they don't care what anyone thinks. I definitely looked out-of-place among all the sleek, tanned, young ladies on the hiking trail. In any case, that's who I am and he's not for me if he's looking for someone superficial. His loss, I figure.

But I really feel uncomfortable at 180 lbs--especially being a breast cancer survivor. I've GOT to get the weight off so that The Big C doesn't come back!

I did have a good idea about exercise though this morning and that was, "I wonder if I could find exercise programs on Hulu Plus?" I decided to Google the thought and ended up here on this website. There is a gym close by but they charge $107/month. It's very nice, has two pools (I love to do laps), and lots of other stuff but I'm loathe to pay that much. When I first moved here (May 1st), I started walking an hour a day in the mornings. It wasn't hot then. My walks didn't seem to help me lose weight so they've dropped by the wayside. Now, I only walk to the P.O. to pick up my mail and come home, which is about a 30 min. walk.

Well, that's me, pretty much in a nutshell. If anyone has any comments or advice, I welcome their input. Plus, I could use some new friends, and tips on tracking my weight on this website or elsrwhere. Thanks so much for listening! Suzy

Last edited by selain; 07-08-2012 at 07:41 AM.
selain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you want to lose weight you must diet. Fewer calories equal weight loss. Do you have a diet plan ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180 / 180 / 150

Unhappy fewer calories

I used to be on Jenny Craig but it was very expensive and had little effect. I'm so discouraged. I've also tried South Beach Diet and Atkins and had some luck with those but then those petered out and I went back up to this weight. Even when I exercise a lot, I don't lose weight. And, I don't consume a lot of calories, I'm mindful of this. Here's my typical day: oatmeal w/blueberries and non-fat milk, 8 oz non-fat milk; half a sandwich for lunch, maybe a few chips; low-cal, microwave dinner. What am I doing wrong? Is it my age? I suppose I'm menopausal now--maybe I just can't lose the weight anymore. Ugh.
selain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #4  

Hi! I can't really say why your diet doesn't encourage those stubborn pounds to get lost, but with my terrible metabolism (thyroid issue) I know stubborn pounds. I agree that gyms can be very expensive, but maybe you should think of it another way: how much would you pay per month to be 150lbs. again? Maybe that's an infantile way of looking at it, but whenever I feel like I don't want to spend the extra bucks on salad mix or bell peppers (healthy food's so expensive!), I consider that hypothetical trade.
Good luck!
RVAscreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote