Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/189/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Hello Everyone!! :)

Hi guys,

I am jainm1234 and I am a new member here. Thought I would say hello and hopefully get some support in my weight loss journey!

I am 25 and I weigh 190lbs. I have always been slightly overweight than the average girl I knew in High School (only by 10-20lbs) but I have gained a lot of weight since going to and after finishing college. I was around 145lbs when I went to college and then I started getting a little heavier. By the time I graduated, I was up to almost 170 lbs. Now, almost a year later (May 6th) I am at 190lbs and I can't take it anymore. My mom has been overweight most of my life and I just very recently found out that I am about 20lbs away from being her current weight. That is completely unacceptable for me. I love my mom but i know all the things that she has been through health wise and that that is not the road for me. Also, I am sure it isn't helping my love life either.

My problem really isn't food but my metabolism. Yes, the fact that I am a programmer and sit on my behind all day doesn't help the fact either. I have always a really bad metabolism and am convinced that it is my problem (along with the lack of exercise ).

Starting tomorrow I am going to start going to the gym directly after work because I am tired of being insecure, unhealthy, and overall unhappy. I am ready to make a change for good this time! My goal is to lose 60lbs by the end of the year....

If anyone has any advice on what I should or should not do.. please feel free! Also, I would love some support so any and all weight loss buddies are welcome . We can all keep each other in line

Last edited by jainm1234; 04-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.
jainm1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #2  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Hello. Welcome to 3FC. I'm 25 too and I know the world of suck being overweight is. I was also pretty sedentary as I basically write and edit for a living, as well as being one of the least outdoorsy people you'll ever meet. I have to say though that mine and most people I've heard/read about's success with weight loss has been mostly attributable to diet (how much they eat) as opposed to exercise. Someone on here says "use diet for weight loss and exercise for fitness." Anotther says "you can't out-exercise poor eating habits."

I think it's awesome that you want to get started with exercise but don't forget and overlook your diet. Re-examine not just what you eat but how much of it you eat. I was an obese child eating pretty much the whole food diet my mom prepared (just more of that healthy food than I should). I'm a calorie counter and it's amazing how much certain foods/meals you'd think are healthy really add up.

Have you been diagnosed with a metabolic disorder or a thyroid issue? There's a dieting with obstacles board you should check out in that case. Just know that you can do this. If I can, you can. I, who hated to sweat or pant, work out at least 7hrs a week, many times more. I who had never really bothered about weight loss or thought about what health food was other than thinking it was all salads, now eat a varied diet, read nutrition information, count calories, and most importantly watch my portion sizes.

Check out all the boards, see what interests you, and post regularly. It will keep you accountable and also is a great resource to learn and get support from all the awesome people on here.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #3  

Hi toastedsmoke! Thank you so much for your advice.... I am watching my diet as well. I have been calorie counting for a while now along with portion control. I have a really bad sweet tooth so, I do splurge every now an then but in moderation.

As far as being diagnosed with a thyroid or metabolic disorder goes, I haven't been diagnosed for it. I have researched ways to help it online so, I will try that first and see how that helps me.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Welcome to 3FC's!

I think you have the right idea of what to do, and it's great that you joined a gym. What I've found helpful is to plan what you're going to eat every day ahead of time, so you don't ever need to wander the pantry looking for goodies. Also, when starting out, cardio is the best exercise to burn fat and see quick results. You don't even need a gym to do a brisk walk for 30 - 60 minutes or walk up and down steps. Cardio or zumba classes are fun too, and may be available at your gym. I use the weight machines to do a little toning, but not as often as cardio.

Good luck!

Last edited by WebWoman; 04-30-2012 at 09:17 AM.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #5  

Hi webwoman!

I joined the Planet Fitness gym last year (motivation has been a weak point with me) and I have a workout routine planned out. Now, i just need to stick to it. I would like to tone as i go too so, I have 45- 60 mins of cardio then on to some toning.

thank you so much for the meal idea. That was something that I hadn't thought of. i need to plan out and possibly prep/cook meals on the weekends so that i have no excuse to eat out or unhealthy food.