Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/280/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Just Hatched...aka Another Newbie!

Hi everyone,

I saw the introduction forum and thought this would be the most logical place to start. After this, I will probably spend some time familiarizing myself with the site and how things are organized. Then, I hope to find a group of chicks to kick it with...the 100+ group would be the most logical start for me.

I have a little over 100 pounds to burn, and I know it's going to be hard. I know I'm not alone in saying that I've struggled with weight for most of my life and certainly all of my adult life. I'm 31 years old and don't believe I've *ever* been a "normal" weight. I'll do an official weigh-in...probably on Monday...but I was at the doctor the other day and weighed just over 279 pounds. I'm sure my lifestyle has everything to do with the fact that I have to have gallbladder surgery soon. I don't plan to wait until after the surgery to begin improving myself, one positive affirmation and one pound at a time.

I am not quite idealistic enough to believe this will be an easy road. I've been at the start of this road more times than I can count now, and...to be candid...I tend to quit on sites like this because the group support *does* keep me accountable. So when I start having negative thoughts, it's easier for me to give up on myself if I cut myself off from everyone. I'm admitting this here, from the start, in hopes that calling myself out like this will help keep me accountable.

This, for me, is not about being thin. It's not about being pretty or attractive. It's not about being able to dress like a vixen or wear a bikini. But it's still multifaceted. It's about health, more specifically extending my life (or at least ceasing to shorten it). It's about quality of life. It's about being able to go to an amusement park, which I so loved as a teenager, and once again being able to fit in a seat on a roller coaster. It's about ridding myself of the shame I feel each and every time I walk out my door. It's about no longer wondering, every time I sit or stand next to someone, just how ridiculous and awkward I look compared to others. It's about losing that inner questioning every time something goes wrong or there is a misunderstanding of any sort: Did x happen because I'm fat?

On this journey, I hope for all of those things...and, hey, maybe there is a smidgen of idealism I still cling to for this journey. I hope, somewhere along the way, that this will become "easy." I don't mean that the way it sounds...but I mean to say that I hope that healthy living will become so habitual, so routine, that I'll no longer have to fight myself to make smart choices and turn away from bad ones. I know, for me, that won't happen any time soon. But I hope it happens at some point down the road. Just as I hope that I'll one day figure out why I behave the way I do with regard to food and my own personal health.

And like the rest of you, I'm coming here to do it, because there truly is support and strength in numbers. I hope, this time, I finally stick "this" out, this being a dedication to improving my health and outlook on life. And, bonus!, I'll get to make new friends...friends who "get it"...friends with whom I can share the pain, struggles, hopes, fears, and even the enjoyment and goals reached along the way!

If you're still here, at the end of this long-winded post, thanks for reading. And I hope to get to know you on the boards!

~Puffinie
Puffinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #2  
ShrinkingPrettyGirl

S/C/G: 290/248/130-ish

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! I'm new too and reading your intro, it is almost like looking in the mirror in many aspects! like yourself, my primary goal is to be healthy. I don't currently have any health problems aside from being overweight, but I don't want any either! I'm 32, divorced, and just went back to college. Life is a whirlwind for me right now and I'm loving every minute of it!
ShrinkingPrettyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #3  

Hey hey, and a fellow Southerner at that! I've entertained the idea of going back to school yet again, but I know me...and me + school = obsessing over grades x fast food overload to maximize study time. Hehe, so yeah...I need to have myself straightened out before I consider that again!

I love your attitude. Maybe it'll rub off on me!

As for health problems...this gallbladder issue (severe attacks led me to the doc...have to have it removed) has been my first major health issue (aside from just being fat). Here's to hoping it will be the LAST weight-related health issue!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #4  

You know what? I just caught myself in a lie. I also have PCOS, was diagnosed with that years ago. I suppose it slipped my mind because I try desperately not to think about it. What having PCOS means for me has been quite traumatic, but I've learned to deal a bit better over time. Here's hoping getting healthy will at least correct some of the side-effects of it, if not cure it altogether.