Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/tracker/145

Height: 5'6"

Smile Never used social networking for this reason in the past... gonna try it.

Hi. I'm new, joined this week. I just read some research recently that said that tracking your progress helps meet fitness goals but is especially effective when combined with social networking with like-minded individuals. So, here I am. I browsed the forum my first few days here reading the "goals forum" primarily and was inspired by many. So, I decided to stay.

I'm a 33 year old female. I'm currently over 40 lbs overweight for my height and healthy BMI. I'm shooting for a goal weight of 140 lbs by January 2013. I don't want to lose the weight too fast, just to regain it. I never really tracked my calorie input until now and it is a real eye opener. Currently I use MyFitnessPal on my iPad to track calories, nutrition and exercise. I like this application and I think I will stick with it this time. As you might guess, I tried to track before and I dropped it after a month or so. Fortunately, my husband (of 6 years) is behind me this time. He actually weighed out some of my meals recently and I was really excited to know that I wasn't "annoying" him but rather making a positive impact on his perspective on food as well.

I've always been chubby, since like age 5, so I really can really relate to the people on this forum. I know that I will have to make a lifestyle change and maintain this lifestyle in order to be as fit as I want to be. This mindset is new... I used to think... "oh, I'll lose the weight whenever and it's not really important." Now, I'm in my 30's and I feel like it is my health and my life that is slipping away from me if I don't make this lifestyle change now.

I love the outdoors for working out and being in PA I get depressed in the winters. I just want to go outside and bike, hike and kayak and i have to wait for months until warmer weather. I definitely deal with SADD yearly and I am hoping that this forum will be a support in that as well. My thought for this winter is to take up cross-country skiing as a way to get out and get fit even with the cold weather. I am crossing my fingers that I like this sport since it could be the answer I'm looking for. Alternatively, I always have my treadmill at home along with my hand weights.

I also have dealt with workout burnout if anyone on the list can talk to me about this... I'm looking for help here. I used to run and completed a 1/2 marathon in May 2010 then I dropped running 100%... even though I was happy to succeed in reaching a fitness goal... I burned out and instead of being motivated, I quit. Why!!??!! Ugh.

I also would like to learn what people with desk jobs do. I'm in the healthcare profession and work with patients all day. I am primarily at my desk typing notes or testing patients. Since my work is sedentary and high stress I'm looking for suggestions to cope. Since I run my own practice I sometimes get all caught up in business and forget to eat!

So, you can see I need a few online friends. Thanks for reading my post.

PS: how in the world to I attach those awesome tickers to my posts?

Last edited by DocAuD; 01-04-2012 at 12:15 AM.
DocAuD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #2  

oops... I'm 34... LOL. Forgot how old I am. *derp*
Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #3  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi DocAuD, welcome to 3FC! It looks like you're already making some progress toward your goal! I don't have answers to most of your questions, but you might find the Depression and Weight Issues and Exercise! forums especially helpful. In answer to question about the ticker - you will be able to get one when you've been on the site for 20 days and have made 20 posts. I hope to see you around the boards!
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #4  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Doc, welcome, glad to have you join us. I suggest you look for a Challenge or Support group to join; small check-in groups make it easier to connect, get involved, and be accountable. We have groups centering arouns specific diets, themes, or age groups, find one that inspires you and just post to join! Be sure to check out the Calorie Counting and 30-Something sub-forems as well as the ones theox suggested.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Congratulations on making the lifestyle change choice. It does indeed require a change in thought process. Workout burnout is relatively common and people get bored doing the same thing over and over. I happen to like the treadmill and running on it since I can listen to books on my iPod. Before I know it 30-40 minutes have passed and I'm good. I also do weight training, and will be adding P90X as soon as I get my fitness back up a little. The key to not getting burned out is to find different activities that you enjoy and switch off so you don't get bored. My wife loves Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, and P90X. I think you have to mix it up to keep interested. I'm sure you'll find lots of advice on this site to help you through that part of it for sure. I wish I could help you with the SADD. I would probably have it if I didn't live in the South.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #6  

thank for the responses. theox and patchwork penguin... i'll be checking those suggested forums. thanks. andrew80k, i appreciate your suggestions on exercise... what is the p90x?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 93/78/65 kg

Height: 172 cm

Hi Welcome ...

I definately have found 3fc helpful and the more I am here the more motivated I am ...

I find it easier to exercise in Summer too .... even though I'm not as outdoorsy as you sound ..

I also trained for 3 half-marathons in the past and currently don't run at all so can relate to that bit too ..

I'm loving the gym cardio machines and weights at the moment ...

Stick around for the 20 posts and 20 days though .... it is great to get a ticker ...

Good luck
HMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMM3 View Post
Hi Welcome ...

I also trained for 3 half-marathons in the past and currently don't run at all so can relate to that bit too ..

HMM3,
I'm so glad to find someone to talk to about running... I think I've developed a bad habit. When I used to run I had this internal love/hate struggle with it. I loved meeting the challenges of the 5k, 10k and 1/2 marathon and hated the daily runs that I needed to do to train for it. it wasn't so much the running part that I hated but the fact that it ate up all my time and left be tired and exhausted. I still have this lingering guilt that I should be running. not sure what that is all about. i added you to my buddy list but i don't know how to use this forum very well yet... so, not sure how to communicate. hope to learn fast.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

P90X is an extreme exercise program on DVD. It doesn't require much in the way of equipment, a pull up bar and some exercise bands, and will totally change your opinion of your own fitness. I have to build up to P90X. It's very intense. You can google it if you have time. I'd link it for you but I can't post links yet.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew80k View Post
P90X is an extreme exercise program on DVD. It doesn't require much in the way of equipment, .
Andrew,
thanks for the explanation. I checked it out online tonight and it reminds me of CrossFit (XFit) have you looked into that also? It seems like a great program as well. I like the fact that P90x doesn't require equipment... that is a big plus in my books. I saw an online quote that it costs over 90.00 for the program. Why so much? Isn't it just videos? Do you think it's worth it?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Welcome and good luck !
Thanks Bargoo