Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198 (Starting and Current)/154

Height: 5'7" (Five Feet Seven Inches)

Default Hello...

Hi.

I've... never really joined these sorts of sites before, which is probably why I haven't been able to kick the weight, trying it on my own and having no willpower

My name's Charlotte, and I'm 23 and living in the United Kingdom. I'm overweight, 198lbs, and I would like to kick that down to 154.

I have trouble exercising due to being a sufferer of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and thus having rather... stretchy dislocatey joints, and a lot of pain.
But I really want to do it! It's more unhealthy for me to keep the excess weight on my joints, than to grit my teeth and lose it.

I hope that maybe I only need just a little bit of help from you guys to help me kickstart and keep on the path... but past experience tells me otherwise! And I'll try and help everyone else too!

Thankyou for reading ^^;
Lily Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the forum Lilly! Have you talked with your doctor about the type of exercise you can do without hurting yourself? I would encourage you to do this.
Do you know what food plan you are following? There is a lot of information on this site about various food plans. I would encourage you to choose a food plan that fits in your lifestyle and you can follow long term.
Exercise is good for our health and it can aid in weight loss but it is important to remember that we cannot out exercise bad eating habits.
With your joint problems, I would encourage you to work on your eating habits and gradually add in exercise that will not hurt you.
Best of luck to you!!!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 296/289/180

Height: 5'9"

Hi!
So nice to meet someone else my age on here! I think this advice I have could work for you. My sister and I have alot of joint issues, so I can suggest some exercises for you. So my sister really liked Zumba. You don't really jump that much and most, if not all, of it is standing so it is less impacting on the joints. Also yoga or Tai chi/Qigong. They give your muscles stretching time, while helping your joints.

However, I would just contact your doctor first, maybe search for EDS support group/sites online that could have specific advice bout EDS and exercising (or when you starting learning you could create it), and just try to move slow. There is nothing worse that trying to exercise and finding yourself extremely injured or paralyzed the next day--I know, it sucks. But good luck!
cfan is offline   Reply With Quote