Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/224/160

Height: 58

Default 80lbs to lose!

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I guess in the last 8years I have put on about 80lbs. I know that I was going through a lot in so many different ways and I was not in an emotionally healthy place. I could blame other people, but the reality is that I stuck the food in my mouth. Thats ok. I have days when I am so mad at myself for letting myself go but the reality is that it does not help to beat myself up so over the last few months I have been focusing on going to the gym on a regular basis. I actually love it once I am there but getting there is a darn nightmare. I am also trying to eat better even though I am struggling with portion control and late night eating. I am taking it one step at a time and hopefully I will reach my goal of losing 80lbs over the next 24 months. After all it took me 8 years to put it all on and it wont come off over night.

Thanks for listening.
9jachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5

welcome to the forum
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #3  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

9jachic to 3FC

I know what you mean about loving it once you get there, it's just getting there. In the beginning I had to measure everything out in order to not over do it. You could give that a shot and prepare ahead of time if you are able. I use to be really bad with late night snacking also, so bad that I would have to go upstairs when everyone else did to keep from sneaking food. Not sure what plan you are on but journaling does help, you know what your eating, how much and whether or not it is in your plan/range. Now when I want to eat late I have a cup or two of grapes, that's my go to food. Hope this helps a little.

You'll get some wonderful advice here. This is a great place to be. I think you are off to a good start. Best of luck to you on the journey of your new lifestyle change.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #4  

Thank you for the welcome, I definately need a plan when it comes to my food intake. I dont know if my approach is right but right now I want to increase my activity level so I am heading to the gym and walking more. That is my plan for this month of August, My hope is that next month I will start focusing on my food intake, journaling, calorie counting etc. I have found in the past that when I try to do everything at once and I fail at one aspect, I feel like a total failure. So I have decided to take it one thing at a time and slowing add to it. So next month, I will increase my vegetable intake! it will probably take me a while but I have a good feeling about this approach.

The only thing that I still have to figure out is the darn late night eating. I dont crave ice-cream or sweets or anything like that. I crave carbs like a piece of toast slathered in home made butter, nigerian meat pie or sausage roll or a bowl of white rice. So, that will be a challenge and I will keep you posted onhow that goes!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #5  
Health Author

S/C/G: 245/175/175

Height: 5' 11"

Default Hello Everyone, I am pleased to meet you all

I recently heard about this site and I am glad to be here.
You know the old expression "What a Man thinks, he can become"?
We'll about 15 years ago, i was considered overweight.

I began to research and write about Healthy Eating and Weight losing strategies. The strangest thing happened to me.

Since i was writing and researching to help not only myself but other people
i suddenly started to lose weight and "Buffed up".

I have lost about 70 pounds from the time I began my Writing/Researching.
The weight is off and I have maintained my 175lbs for years.

My advice is to begin your journey first in the mind and the body will follow.
Regards
Leonard
Leonard Taglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #6  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

9jachic, when I first started June 1, 2010. I went on some site and found out what my calorie intake should be for my height and weight (I think) it may have also asked me for me age and it does ask for your level of activity which back then was none. I couldn't walk a quarter of a mile without getting winded. I still count calories but I am not half as active as I became. I have been stuck in the 170's since this time last year because of my own lack of everything. Are you using an online calorie counter/log or just doing it yourself? I use myfitnesspal to track things. I use to use fatsecret, there is also loseit, and others. Barcode scanning with your cell is quite helpful also for calorie counting. Oh by Sept 24th of last year I had lost 30lbs and went from a size 18, 20 to a 12. By then I was also able to walk 3 miles in 48 minutes, but then I stopped and here I stand. How often do you weigh in? I am on a calorie counters daily weigh in thread with some wonderful people and there are also calorie counters accountability threads where you can record your meals for the day and get all the help and support you need. I definitely thank the friends I've made on 3FC for my successes thus far.

Last edited by love2b150; 08-25-2011 at 02:38 PM.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #7  

Love2b150- Thank you, I need to start counting calories, Its tough because I eat a lot og ethnic food but I will modify them so I can at least watch my portion. I am focusing a lot on getting into the gym habit. I hope that once I have that down packed, I will start focusing on the food. I can't seem to do both, i.e watch food and head to gym at the same time.

I am sure I just need to hunker down and start counting calories and writting everything down but that seems tedious but I will have to do it. Thanks for the awesome welcome.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #8  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!!!!!! I had about 80lb to lose as well, started off at 215 and wanna get to 135 in the long run, but what I did was convince myself I only had 20 lb to lose.
Once I got there, Only 20 more, so my goal kept going down and down, I'm down 51lb as of this morning and I know in the back of my mind I have 29lb to go, but my ticker and everywhere else just says 19 lb, if that makes any sense ! LOL

The gym becomes a need after a couple weeks, I cant go more than 2 days without hitting the gym or I feel bad about myself. And I do swear by counting calories, I had tried everything in the past and nothing worked but this.

If you need any tips or advice or just need to rant im here for you

oh and i forgot to mention i started March 20th 2011. Only 5 months ago.

Last edited by caramelkitty; 09-02-2011 at 02:15 PM.
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #9  

That is stinking awesome caramelkitty, you really just motivated me so much more than you know. That is incredible amount of weight that you have lost. Good for you. I need to start writting everything down, including the chicken, Mozzarella Panini I just had for lunch...... lmao.

Now off to the gym. I actually am starting to love that ache you get in your leg from working out.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #10  
Get to goal & stay there!

S/C/G: 235/154.8/150

Welcome to the boards and good luck to you in losing weight. Everyone here is so friendly and informative.

Best wishes!
sandcar150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #11  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jachic View Post
That is stinking awesome caramelkitty, you really just motivated me so much more than you know. That is incredible amount of weight that you have lost. Good for you. I need to start writting everything down, including the chicken, Mozzarella Panini I just had for lunch...... lmao.

Now off to the gym. I actually am starting to love that ache you get in your leg from working out.
I loooove the 2 day aches I get ... it reminds me that its working :-)
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #12  

Hey! What type of ethnic food do you enjoy? I have some really great recipes---a lot of Indian recipes especially, I'd be willing to share. Cut the calories, but don't sacrifice flavor!!!
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #13  

I love African food, like Nigerian, Ghanian and also west Indian and Persian food. Basically, I love CARBS. :-)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #14  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

9jachic, welcome to the forum. I want to start by saying your goal if losing 80lb in 2 years sounds really smart, you are losing weight the healthy way.

Ghanian food is so great, right? I never thought I would like African food, but after a visit to Ghana this past spring, I was hooked on Ghanian food. Just watch the red palm oil and control your portions. Honestly I didn't see one overweight person in Ghana.

Last edited by Miaka; 09-08-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 229/187/185

Height: 5' 11"

All that matters is that you started down the road to where you want to be!
baldchocnsexy is offline   Reply With Quote