Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/183/150

Height: 5'5

Default Any suggestions for a girl who hates running?

Hey all!
I'm Jordan from California... I turned 24 last month and as a birthday present to myself I've decided to really try and change my life and get healthy. I've had other health priorities for the last year and a half, but things are stable now and it's about time.

I've been on weight watchers for about 2 weeks and am working out with Bar Method classes 2-3 times a week since a month ago... I started off 197 lbs when I weighed myself the sunday before last, and am now 189. So far so good, I know, but I really think I need to step it up with some cardio. Bar method is AWESOME, in that it really works my muscles, arms, legs, abs, and butt, in a REAL way, but I think I'm missing some heart pumping cardio!

I HATE running... I would LOVE it if anyone could share some tips, hints or suggestions for fat burning techniques. I'm specifically trying to target my glutes and tummy... Of course my legs and arms need help too What kind of machines will give me visible results? I have a gym at my country club with a ton of machines and its about time that I make use of it! Also, I'm open to a dance or other class...

So thanks in advance for ANY responses!!! I am so stoked that I found this community... You ALL are huge inspirations for me! I was not a heavy kid and I cannot wait to live an active healthy life!!!! And good luck to you!
BabyGotBack123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #2  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

Hi Jordan Grats on your weight loss so far, and welcome to 3FC.

Cross ramp and elliptical! They tone your legs and butt, and are great cardio... I hate running too.. and always end up walking, basically end up wasting my time... But on those machines I can go forever and really get some good cardio in!

Bar method... Hm.. never heard of it.. but i should would love to work my arms, legs, abs, and butt :P

Got any info on it?
mypinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 AM   #3  

Hey mypinkpolkadot,
Thanks for the quick reply... I've never done the cross ramp but it sounds great! I did elliptical in college and did get a lot out of it... Maybe it's time to get back to that.

Bar method is awesome! I'm glad you're in CA because it's only offered in certain states at this point(it's rather new) but it is in California

Here's a description from the website(search bar method for more info)

How does the Bar Method sculpt the body?

The Bar Method integrates the fat-burning format of interval training with muscle-shaping isometrics to quickly and safely reshape the entire body. Its non-impact, one-hour workout targets all major muscle groups and improves posture. The result is a recognizable “Bar Method body” featuring sculpted arms, flat abs, a lifted seat, and elongated thighs.

Will the Bar Method help me lose weight?

Absolutely! The Bar Method class alternates between exercises that demand intense bursts of energy and deep stretches. This format produces both high caloric burn and firmer muscle mass. Most students who do The Bar Method regularly become slimmer and lighter, sometimes within months.

What do you do in a Bar Method workout?

The Bar Method™ is a one-hour, total body workout. It starts with a warm-up, free-weight exercises and push-ups and moves on to intense leg and seat work at the bar, then abdominal work at the bar and on mats. Every exercise includes active stretching and is followed by additional stretching to elongate the muscles just worked.

I cannot rave about this workout more! It's REALLY hard(for me), but I've noticed myself improving in just a month. It keeps me entertained, as we do a lot of different moves in an hour, and just when I feel like I cannot do anymore we move on to the next thing. Also, at 189lbs I feel like I outweigh every girl in there which kind of sucks, but it gives me hope that I'll get more toned if I keep it up! I honestly care less about the number on the scale than how I fit in my clothes and feel in my body.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 179/170/140

I probably can't help much; I'm younger than you!

But I know there's plenty of work outs you can do that don't include running; even using a treadmill feels less strenuous than running. You're already taking a class which is really good. I plan on joining a gym with my best friend [who is skinny as a rail] and am feeling very nervous about it. I'm 5'5 and about 160-170 lbs. My goal is 130-135.
Is it hard being around skinny people in a gym??

CONGRATS on your weightloss tho. You are devoted and on your way
ChubbyCheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Current: 252/238/199

Height: 170 cm

I found that music or an ipod works well. Not necessilary for running / jogging but cross trainer etc. The weekend I was on one for over 2 hours in the gym, the music takes your mind off things and relieves boredom. You start thinking "what song is next, ohh lets keep going and listen to this one". I feel when boredom sets in your body almost automatically says "ah here Ive enough of this, let me go home"!
irishlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #6  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I used to hate running too. Try the C25k program! I LOVE running now!
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #7  

ChubbyCheeks- Good for you! I cannot wait till I weigh 160 again! It pisses me off that when I was 150-160 in college I used to hate how I looked! My mom always told me that I would look back and wish I looked as good as I looked then... She was totally right! But I WILL get back there and appreciate it this time!

As far as looking at other skinnier girls in my classes, I do sometimes look around and feel like a whale compared to them. But honestly, at this point I just do the workout, pay attention to my reflection and no one elses!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/196/165

Height: 5'09

I agree with josey and cant suggest the couch to 5k enough. I only have two weeks to go on it. I hated running too but started the program and I am now running 12 minute miles and running 25 minutes at a time. You start off walking more than running until your body gets used to it then you gradually go up in intervals until you are able to run 25 minutes, then 28 minutes then 30 minutes at a time! I love it you can do it on the tredmill or outside!
dmam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #9  
Suck it up, buttercup!

dmam82, it is awesome isn't it? I am only on week 3 but love it!! I even started running on my rest days. I am adding week 1 runs to week 3 now and bump up the speed.
What week did you find the hardest yet?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #10  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyCheeks View Post
Is it hard being around skinny people in a gym??
I go to the gym with my bff who is like, half of me, she is so thin and tall. I guess I don't mind so much cause she doesn't make me feel bad about myself.
mypinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #11  
Quitting is NOT an option

S/C/G: SCG: 224/218/130

Height: 5'1

For those who did the C25k, where do you run? I'd be way too embarrassed to run in public.
FlipFlop Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #12  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlop Love View Post
For those who did the C25k, where do you run? I'd be way too embarrassed to run in public.
At home on the treadmill. I know what you mean :-) I hope I can get out and run outdoors (rural area) by fall. Right now I rather stay inside.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #13  

I enjoy running, but am getting board of it. I also have issues with my arches. They have fallen over the years so I get much pain if I run to many days in a row. I love the Leslie Sanson walking videos, and also the Biggest Loser videos.

Best of luck finding an exercise that you love that burns much fat
yenny58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #14  
Exercise-addicted

S/C/G: 248

Height: 5'8

First, welcome to the forum. Congrats. What I suggest is that if you have a gym membership, start walking around the track. I used to hate walking the track because my body couldn't keep up with my gym partner. Now I am at least able to keep up with her. Go at your own pace. You don't have to run. If you do, try at treadmill where you can control the pace. That's my advice. Good luck!
serenityh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/196/165

Height: 5'09

Josey-
I found week 5 and 6 to be the hardest only because it was back and forth between intervals and consistent running but after doing the 20 minute run i felt so accomplished it was just hard to have to go back to the intervals in week 6. I Love the program tho, im looking for a good strength training program for the days i dont run tho.

Flipflop Love-
I was shy to run in public too at first. The first week I took my dog on the run because she is more clumsy than i lol. But then I started running early in the morning or in the cemetary just because there was no one around. Now I am so used to it Idont care if people look at me funny or not, you shouldnt be ashamed. I run on the tredmill at YMCA somedays and othe days I run around my little town and just wave at people (i probably look a little crazy).
dmam82 is offline   Reply With Quote