Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/225/180

Default Please Help!! How Can I Start On A Weight Loss Program! How

Please if anyone has any tips on how to start on a weight loss program! I am soo overwhelmed right now! I have tried countless times to lose some weight wighout any success. There are soo many diet centers, diet plans, programs, what nots, that I can't even think straight anymore! I am in such a funk about my weight, i feel hopeless! Please give me advice on how to start, what to do first, anything. I would so much be grateful!! Many thanks, Lori
bluebellx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/198/170

Height: 5'9"

Hi Lori. I'm just getting started on my diet too. We can start together.

Here is my opinion on weight loss. From my experience with losing and gaining, it all comes down to calories in vs. calories out. I've found that tracking what I'm eating and associating it with a caloric value helps me to cut down on over eating, tremendously. Don't get me wrong, I'm still tempted. I love food, and I love restaurant food the most, so I know how hard it is. BUT, if you really want to lose, you will learn to commit yourself to the effort.

If you have a smart phone such as an android, the ************ ap is very helpful for tracking calories. If you do not, there are some web sites that also help, but I am not familiar with any. Maybe someone else here could recommend one?

Also, get active! Do a 30 min cardio video, or go for a walk, ride your bike...do something! It's better than nothing~
Good luck to you!
Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #3  

Dear Reasons, Thank you for your quick response! You have given me hope. I think i am going to start writing down what I eat and keep a log. Also, whenever I work out, I will keep a good track on that too. It seems though, that I eat very little. When I starve myself, I don't lose, and when I eat healthy, I gain! Is it ridiculous to say my metabolism is next to nothing? I do try and be active, knowing full well,there could be a great improvement in that area, but I want to eat like a normal person. That is my dilema, I feel deprived and then depressed. Nothing seems to work! bluebellx3
Old 04-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 207/198/170

Height: 5'9"

Are you giving your body a chance to adjust? I always gain a few lbs the first week or two when changing my diet. Especially if you haven't been eating enough. The body likes to hold on to a few extra calories because it doesn't know when it will get them again. Starving yourself is never a solution because as soon as you start to eat again, you will gain.

Give yourself a break! Find a healthy caloric intake amount for your body and spend your calories on healthy foods. Yogurt, fruit, veggies, nothing fatty or processed.

Also break your food down in to a bunch of snacks through out the day, rather than 3 full meals. It is too hard on your liver for you to go long periods of time with nothing in your stomach and you will find that it is much easier to stay on track. Starving almost always leads to binge eating.
Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #5  

Dearest Reasons, You have been very helpful, and i appreciate your advice. You have given me both motivation and hope. When i sit and think about it, you are right about the not eating anything or next to nothing. I have decided to try again and log my progress.
Wishing you all the best and God Bless. bluebellx3
Old 04-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #6  

Hi Bluebell, deprivation will not work. What I have found successful is eating 5 to 6 small meals per day (caloric intake ~ 300). I do a combo with each meal of carb and lean protein. The following is an example of a meal plan for one day

Breakfast - oatmeal (steel oats my fav.) with handful of berriers, one tablespoon of flaxseed, and 6 egg whites 500ml water

Mid-morning - nonfat plan yogurt (or greek yogurt - Chobani my fav.), berries (blueberries, strawberries, etc.). 500m Water

Lunch - Grilled chicken with salad; or whole-grain pasta with chopped fresh tomatos and grilled chicken; or brown rice stuffed in a whole wheat pita with grilled chicken, tzatziki, cucumbers, and alfalfa sprouts, 500ml water

Mid-afternoon - nonfat cottage cheese and fruit; or sliced cucumbers, carrots and hummus, 500mg water

Dinner - Grilled chicken, steamed veggies; 500ml water

The combination can be whatever you like as long as your choices are lean protein (beans of all kinds, chicken breask, eggs, fish, kefir, lentils, ground turkey, etc.); carbs - primarily from fruits and veggies, and healthy fats (olive oil, almonds, avocados, flaxseed, nut butters, etc). Hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions.
Freedom One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/259/185

Height: 5' 7''

Hi Blue,
I totally understand where your coming from, its all very overwhelming. I decided to start with exercise first. I try to eat healthy and reasonably also. I will start counting calories later, but right now I'm try not to overwhelm myself making to many changes at once. I've been exercise at a gym for 3 weeks now and I'm feeling so much better. I'll probably do this for another 3 weeks and then start to add in food tracking and then calorie counting. Don't get discourged u can do this!
cajun moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #8  

Hi Freedom! This has been very helpful!!! I am going to take your advice about the meal plans. It seems like so much food! I will start with a menu similar or if not like, yours. It looks like you drink alot of water as well. Does coffee or caffeine effect my diet? I like my coffee. Many Many Thanks to you! Will start working out 30 mins a day. I have a long way to go, but you have given me strength! Thanks again and God Bless. Bluebell
Old 04-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #9  

Cajon Mamma, It sure helps to know that we are both starting out on this venture. Happy to hear from you and thanks for caring! I'll think of you when I go to the gym tomorrow good luck to you as well! Wishing all the best! Bluebell
Old 04-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #10  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think you just have to find what works for you- many people find basic calorie counting works for them.

With me I started out small, first I stopped buying junk food, then when it was all eaten I had to rely more on cooking for myself and planning out my meals. Then when I had the basic concept down I started looking into plans. South beach has been a great plan for me and it's been slow and steady going down but at least it is going down

The next step was adding in exercise (I can't do things all at once or I just make it too hard on myself). I started with a goal of one day a week for ten minutes. Now I exercise a few times a week for half an hour at a time (at least). I also go for walks on my lunch and overall am a much happier and healthier person. I'm still losing weight but it's now through a healthy process.

It takes time to gain and it'll take time to lose- choose something you can do for LIFE- not for a few weeks
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebellx3 View Post
Hi Freedom! This has been very helpful!!! I am going to take your advice about the meal plans. It seems like so much food! I will start with a menu similar or if not like, yours. It looks like you drink alot of water as well. Does coffee or caffeine effect my diet? I like my coffee. Many Many Thanks to you! Will start working out 30 mins a day. I have a long way to go, but you have given me strength! Thanks again and God Bless. Bluebell
Hi Bluebell, I limit my caffeine intake to one cup in the morning only - caffeine is a diuretic. I aim to drink 3litres of water a day. Try to space your meals every 2 to 3 hours but not any longer. It may seem like a lot of food but when you break it down it is essentially ~ 300 calories per meal. Eating this amount at the frequency of every 2 to 3 hours causes your metabolism to be stimulated while preventing you from getting too hungry. These intervals will keep your body nourished and content while ensuring that all metabolic processeses are running efficiently. Having said this, eating more frequently does not equate to permission to eat everything in sight or in large quantities. You will have to make your portions smaller. Let me know how this is working out for you and you if you need any sugestions or have any questions let me know. Best of luck!!
Freedom One is offline   Reply With Quote