Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #1  

Post Coming out of hiding

Hi all. I've been peeking into this site for awhile now but haven't been sure where and when to jump in. Here and now seems like a good bet.

I'm Yvie, I'll be 50 this year, and it feels like I've been meaning to lose 30 lbs forever. I've actually succeeded on and off over the years, but I always seem to end up right back here eventually, glaring at the scale and feeling irked with myself for failing yet again. Apparently I kind of know what to do, but then I lose focus and fall out of the new and healthy routines, and any progress that was made gets quickly unmade. (Funny how that "unmaking" seems to take so much less time and effort than the "making.")

So here I am, hoping that sharing this project with others who know all about it will help to keep me honest - and focused - this time. I started a blog yesterday, which I think will help a lot, and now I need to figure out what to do next. I look forward to being here and getting to know others who are in the same boat.
Yvie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #2  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I find it helps me keep on target toward a goal to write myself a letter of EXACTLY why I plan to do it. Specify the why, how, when, where. This helps me keep honest with myself, as months later I rediscover how far I'm slipping from the original plan, a snack here, a little higher calorie limit for dinner there, etc.

Though I've much experience, and for periods of time success, it is still helpful to keep my calorie and exercise logs showing my corresponding weight. I still hit periods where I should be loosing but don't. Reviewing my logs helps me pinpoint the triggers and causes. It also helps me to keep motivated from a positive view, in seeing how much success I have had. That's a support no one else can give us.

May you achieve the success you dream of.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #3  

Smile

Thanks for the advice - I'm going to do that.

I can see that it's exactly that type of thing - being just a little lax here and there ("just this time") - that adds up over time and undoes those earlier efforts. And so what I need to do differently this time is be constantly vigilant.

I see there's a "maintaining" forum on this site, so I have a new goal now - not just to lose those pesky pounds, but to get to a point where I can join that forum. I think I'm starting to grasp that the job isn't finished just because the scale's finally hit that magic number!

Last edited by Yvie9; 02-08-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 346/333/250

Height: 5'10

WELCOME
shutterbug35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #5  

Thank you! I'm glad to be here and look forward to exploring and finding my way 'round this place
Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #6  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Welcome yvie, Glad to have you join us. My advice is to look for a Support group, Chat, or Challange to join; small groups make it easier to get connected. Most sub-forums have groups covering almost every need, find one that inspires or motivates you and just post to join. Be sure to check out the 50+ chat for a start!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #7  

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworkpenguin View Post
Be sure to check out the 50+ chat for a start!
Thanks for the welcome! I've only just started to explore the various forums - and LOL! Here I'd been wavering over whether I could join the 50s yet or if I needed to stay out until I actually get there! I finally decided to err on the side of caution and start with the 40s, but maybe I'll chime in on both for awhile, and enjoy these last few months of 40something even as I'm looking forward to 50!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #8  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Yvie, We'd love to have you in the 40's even if its only for a few months, but I like your idea of joining both.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/167/138

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!
cgirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #10  

Thanks! And to you, too!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 140/ticker/120

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

Welcome! I have lost hundreds of pounds over the years but they have alwasys been the last 20. I always end up where I start from. My highest has been 144 and my lowest 119. My goal is to gain more knowledge about weight loss and be somewhere around 125.
thelast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #12  

Ha! I've just discovered the "quick reply" button!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm very happy to meet you - your experience sounds much the same as mine. Here's to our attaining long-term success this time!