Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/211.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Red face another success story in the making (I hope!)

Having read so many success stories on this website, I made the decision to follow in your footsteps and make myself both publicly and personally accountable for becoming a healthy role model for my daughter and others. My weight has yo-yo'ed for years, and I, as I have told myself in the past, am committed to making a change. I know what I need to do - eat healthy and exercise - but I find myself repeatedly making the wrong choices. In the last few months, I have gained weight at a rapid pace - weighing my heaviest ever (with the exception of pregnancy).

A little about myself. I am the mother of a beautiful and bright 15 month old girl. I should be finishing my dissertation during 2011 and looking for a job (probably a considerate source of stress and explanation for some of my laziness). I like group exercise classes and working out in a gym better than working out at home - and I do best when I have someone with whom I can go to the gym regularly. I joined a ladies only gym near my house, but I never made solid enough connections to get a real work-out buddy. My fault, I know. My husband is also looking to improve his health and fitness, so maybe with the new year, we will find time to work out together at school - like we did long before the baby. It's hard though. I feel bad sending my child to daycare as is, and sending her there so I can work out (rather than actually work) depresses me.

Enough about me. If someone posts, that's great. And if not, I'm looking forward to joining some groups or challenges here (as soon as I figure out how!)
amanda2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Welcome! There certainly are a LOT of successful losers in the place. You will be in excellent company!

My best friend and I go to the gym together and in the beginning we thought we would rely on that. As it turns out, we don't work out together real well. We're there at the same time, but we rarely work out together and when we do, it's all chat and very little work or the work suffers. You're not really giving it your all if you can carry on a conversation. So work out buddies are great! I love seeing her bright, shiny face in the morning. But it isn't necessary to have her there for me to get a really good workout.

Is it possible to go the gym really early in the morning while your family is still asleep? I go at 5:30 AM and am home and showered before anyone else is up.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/211.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the response! I wish going to the gym that early was an option, but leave it to me to join one that doesn't open until 8am. As for work-out buddies, I know what you are saying. In college, I did work out with my friends, but in the group exercise classes, there wasn't time to socialize. As for going to the gym with the hubby, we would walk to the gym together, but that's about it. We also went our own directions like you and your buddy, but I've found that the hardest part is getting to the gym (or pushing play on an at-home work-out). Once there, the workout is the easy part.
amanda2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I remember five years ago we joined the YMCA and my husband and I went together with kids in tow. It worked, but it was definitely harder than just getting me out the door!! The kids loved the child care area and afterwards we usually took them for a swim.

Yep, getting there is the hardest part!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote