Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 208.3/206.8/175

Height: 5'4"

Default Newbie trying to make a change

Hi everyone! I'm Stephalopolis, and I'm a newbie around here.

As a kid, I was smallish. I mean, never stick figure, but you would never call me overweight. That is, until one day in 4th grade I woke up and puberty apparently hit me overnight. Since that time, I've always been the "chubby" one.

Although I was busy during school, my activities weren't physically challenging (well, except for basketball I played from 6th grade to 9th). Band nerd, Scholastic Bowl, everyone student club. I was always on the run (and eating fast, microwaveable meals because of it)

In recent years, my problems have been inconsistency. During fall semester of college, I would always lose a lot of weight because I was in marching band and would march non-stop for 3 hours every other day, then put in an almost 12 hour day every Saturday. However, I would gain that weight back spring semester when marching season was over and I was in the less active pep band. After college, I had a 6 month internship where I was on my feet moving the entire day- I speed walked about 2 miles every day. I noticeably dropped weight then.

However, now I am back home from my internship and unable to find a job. I sit around a lot, and because of such, I have gained all that weight back. My other problem is food. I LOVE food. I love the texture of it, I love the look, I love the smell, and of course I love the taste. I love surfing on the web looking at various photos, reading different recipes imagining what they would taste like, reading cooking blogs, watching cooking shows. Eating is an experience for me, not just sustenance (which is not a healthy way of thought, I know). On the other hand, I am also a VERY picky eater. I don't like fish or sea food of any kind. I don't like Asian food. I like very little Mexican. The only vegetables I like are corn, peas, potatoes. I'll eat green beans if they're french style and in a casserole, but that's it. As far as fruits, I like apples, bananas, strawberries (this is a recent development in the past year), and grapes. I have noticed my taste buds changing a little, but it's a process (I've noticed in the past month I've started liking yogurt, which I've hated my whole life). I ate 5 baby carrots today, and considering I don't like the taste of carrots, I count that as a victory.

However- my boyfriend recently proposed. And I know, I know, you shouldn't use a wedding as an excuse to lose weight. But... I think it's given me a kick in the butt to start something that I've been meaning to for awhile. I've always wanted to become healthier... just haven't really had the motivation for it. But, I'm going to try. And no- I'm not looking for unrealistic changes. I know no matter what I do, I will not be "super perfect speshul barbie doll" figure for my wedding (it's in 2012 btw). But... I want to be healthier. Weight wise, my goal is to go back down to internship weight levels. And that is perfectly manageable, I think (About 25 lbs). Eventually I would like to lose more... but baby steps, ya know?

I don't really have a set routine or diet going on. As I briefly touched upon above, I don't have a job. Which means I am broke. Like... very broke. So I can't afford gym memberships, diet memberships, fancy equipment, expensive healthy food. I've been using livestrong.com for the past 11 days, so I've been trying not to go over my limit of calories, and I've been exercising for at least half an hour every single day for the past 12 days. Some days I got to my fiance's and use his family's treadmill. Other days I do either strength exercises or aerobics on my Wii Fit Plus. Other days (more rarely) I get on my elliptical. I don't have any "routines" I do... I just either try to do 30 minutes of wii exercise, or I try and do at least 1 mile or two on the gym equipment.

So...that's me. I'm hoping this works and I can get to a place where I feel comfortable with myself. It's part of the reason I joined 3 fat chicks... So I can see if the community can help keep me motivated so I don't cheat myself (and so I can have something to do instead when I want to make that trip to the fridge.)

Stephalopolis's Statistics:
11/20/2010
Weight: 206.8
Stephalopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 151/133/125

Height: 5'4

Congrats on getting engaged!

I've been reading a lot of the stories on reaching mini-goals and goals.. and I think you can find a lot of idea of weight loss/exercise/diet without spending money on gym fees and special foods.

It's great that you have access to a treadmill and to Wii! For me, I always try to do 2 more mins more than the day prior. Or, 2 more levels of resistance/difficulty than the day before. It keeps the workout challenging and not boring!

Good luck!
AKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #4  
Naturally Curvy

S/C/G: 264/259.9/164

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations.
JMSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 216/216/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi Stephalopolis!

Can we do this together? I am also engaged and trying to lose for a wedding. I recently lost my nursing job, cant find another, and am broke! I have NO exercise equipment, so I've just been dancing around the house to loud upbeat music, running, and doing crunches. I'll send you a PM

My stats:
Height: 5"6"
Weight: 207
Pant size: 18
bride2be2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Congrats! on your engagement! I'm on a very tight budget, too, and am managing to stay healthy as I lose weight. Right now, while the weather is cold, I am working out indoors with videos I check out from the library!

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote