Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/153/125

Height: 5'9"

Smile Hi! New here and need some help for my daughter

I am so glad that I found this wonderful and encouraging site! Anyway, I learned today that my daughter (12), who is overweight, has a higher than normal sugar count and high tryglycerides. We have made an appointment for her to see an endocronologist and that's great, but in the meantime I would like to get some advice as to what low carb, low sugar diets really work and that one can "live with" as a lifestyle. I believe that she has metabolic system disorder, and would like to help her find a diet that can become a part of her life. I want to support her in everyway with this, including making this diet a part of my life also. I am not overweight, but can certainly stand to lose 25 lbs. or so. I have been researching The Zone Diet and The Southbeach Diet. Can anyone help here? Thanks in advance!
gerberdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

I use the zone, and I like it, and its simple enough to use! Alot of ppl on this site use South Beach but I don't know much about it. But from what I know of The Zone, it works, and its easy to incorprate it in to your day to day life, something I can live with. Lots of fruit/veggies/lean protien, etc. and bread or rice if need be! Good luck. Your post made me very happy, as I wish my mother had of done something when I was 12 and perhaps this weight loss battle could have been avoided. Kudos to you my friend.
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I would really encourage whole foods low on the glycemic index. These foods will keep her blood sugar from spiking the way it does w/foods higher on the scale and thus, keep her satisfied longer.

It sounds like your concerns are well founded. But please, please go easy w/your daughter. I know first hand that serious damage can be done which will exacerbate the situation (possibly the weight issue spiraling out of control) and possibly set her up to be unhealthy all of her life.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #4  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Don't forget to get your daughter involved in some kind of physical activity that she enjoys so it seems more like play than exercise (if she's not active already). I was in a competitive kickball league when I was around her age although I wish I had dome martial arts instead.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/153/125

Height: 5'9"

Smile

Thank you for the quick replies already! You are too kind and it brings tears to my eyes. I guess I just want to make it clear that my motivation for helping my daughter is simply about health. I am truly trying to help her become a healthy and fit person, and that person doesn't have to be a size 6 by any means. Body image is such a huge problem already with 12 year olds that it is quite disturbing. I have never in my life seen so many clothing stores offering size 00, and all of the girls that are actually buying these sizes. I always tell my daughter that a size 00 is certainly a rarity and absolutely ridiculous-but it still makes me wonder what is happening? As a former model, I never even saw size 00 on the runway, and trust me, that is a screwy world! It has become a very difficult world for these young girls and my heart goes out for sure.

I always try to be very careful when speaking about weight issues with her, as I know that it is a fine line that I am walking on. I just want her to feel good about herself inside and outside-whether that is a size 2 or a size 16!

Thanks for your support!
gerberdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #6  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I wouldn't change anything to dramatically. And make sure everyone in the family eats the same thing. You woudn't want to make her feel bad or singled out. I agree with the activity! I never liked sports myself (my mom made me join swim team... I HATED it.) but I enjoyed ballet.

I hope everything goes well at the doctors!
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #7  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

Try not to use the word diet! Use all the info you get from the endocrinologist and ask for a referral to a dietician for good advice to meet the nutritional needs of a kid who is still growing. Another posters suggestion of martial arts is a good one - a very accepting atmosphere is usually the norm there with adults and kids in all shapes and sizes. Good luck and congratulations on getting started on addressing the issue.
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I have an 11 year old daughter who is overweight. She's is following a weight management programme that encourages healthy foods in proper proportions but does not exclude any particular food groups. Its really about her making her own choices and not me making them for her. My DD understands that 3 or 4 sugary drinks a day is not good for her and will chose water, milk or a sugar free drinks; that high fat snacks don't help and will chose low fat; we try hard to get at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day and to do some form of physical activity for at least an hour most days. The amount of weight she has lost is minimal ( just a couple of lbs) but she's grown and not gained any weight since September and decreased her body fat % by nearly 4% in 5 months.

My advice is to make small changes that are sustainable and not to follow any particular reducing diet program.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote