Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Default Tired of Lonely Dieting

Hi everyone! I'm Effie, I'm 18, and a freshman in college. I've never actually been happy with my weight, even when I was thin I was always plotting and planning some ridiculous scheme to lose weight or tone up. They never lasted long. My senior year in high school resulted in a bit of a 'packing on the pounds' scenario, and now that I'm in college, I'm ready to get healthy. I have a love/hate relationship with food, and was the kind of kid who snuck food and would have massive binges and then fast for a few days only to binge again. You know, the 'I'm going to get out all my cravings here and now and then start dieting in the morning.' Except that the morning pretty much always turns into next week, next month.... later?

I think I've found the flaw in my attempts, I always try to go at it alone, I'm embarrassed to talk about it with my friends (almost all of whom are skinnier and therefore prettier in my mind than I am). I'm tired of being the 'fat one' or what's worse, the 'funny, fat one'. Even my family is critical, my mom is too wrapped up in her own desire to lose weight (although she doesn't have to), my dad makes those little comments about it as well... I'm getting tired of it.

Recently I've had several things that have just set me off and reaffirmed my desire to lose the weight for good

1. This past summer my brother told me that I really needed to lose weight (ouch, much?)
2. My roommate insinuating that I couldn't fit into clothes from normal stores
3. The constant "you would be so pretty if you just lost weight." comments
4. The fact that I'm always the odd girl out in groups, the third or fifth or seventh wheel or what have you
5. I'm sick and tired of not feeling good about myself
6. I take other people's cameras and delete unflattering pictures of myself... and am an untagging machine on facebook.

So, here I am, ready and partially on my way to a happier and healthier me. It is kind of scarier than I thought, though.Well, this is longer than I planned, but I'm happy to be here and am excited about continuing on my weight loss journey with ya'll (how hokey does that sound???).

Lots of love,

Effie
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Don't be lonely. You are very welcome here.

Settle right in and make yourself at home. If there is anything we can help you with, just ask.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi Effie and welcome to 3FC. Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #4  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Effie!
There are so many that can relate to what you are feeling about yourself, family and friends - YOU CAN DO THIS - with all of us cheering you on!

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated, inspired and entertained! There's also info and first hand advice on different plans to help you choose the right one for you.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here a short time myself, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of cheating or giving up.

So welcome - you 've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

Last edited by leeway; 11-07-2009 at 12:14 AM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey Effie! I am so glad you're here.

The one thing that is SO AWESOME (among many awesome things, actually) is that, no matter what you're experiencing, you can bet that one or multiple folks have experienced it, are experiencing it, or better yet, have overcome it. So you can get commisseration along with a side of suggestions and advice. It's so valuable!

You CAN do this, and 3FC can help - we have forums by eating plan, by amount to lose...really, by almost anything.

Jump on it, keep posting, and keep going! And a big on your losses so far!

I really can't wait to get to know you better!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:15 AM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Aww dont be lonely! I cant believe those comments! I am SURE you are just as pretty, if not better looking, than your friends. I am roughly the same height and starting weight as you, I did the same thing with cameras and photos- it was exhausting So come on over to the 20-somethings! We are buzzing and full of advice and hugs and nice things like that. And there is just about always someone online You dont have to be lonely anymore. Feel free to PM me
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

Lots of great support here.

YOu'll find lots of great information on forming and keeping good habits to keep you healthy, happy and slim for life.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #8  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Effie, I think many here can relate to what you wrote, I know I can. Unfortunately for me I went through life feeling that way until last December and I'm 45. The good news is we never have to feel that way again.

For me personally I had to stop dieting and find a way of life I could live with. For me that is eating less and moving more. The funny thing is the more I move the more I lose and the more I want to move. My DH and I have taken up hiking and last weekend we were climbing/scrambling over class 3 boulders; something I NEVER would have been able to do a year ago.

There is GREAT support here, you don't have to do this alone. Find a couple areas here on 3FC where you click with the chicks and have fun.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 11-05-2009 at 08:50 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #9  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

Welcome! There's tons of support on this forum, and I'm so glad you found it! I can totally relate, your story sounds like my freshman year in college Jump right in to one of the many challenges or find a support group to chat with each week! Come hang out with us in the 20-somethings group!
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #10  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Effie

So many of us know exactly how you feel! But you need to be less harsh on yourself! You have to make this journey to become healthy, not just to lose weight to please others. You have to be doing it to please yourself, that'll be the best motivation. You have to convince yourself that you are beautiful no matter what, and that you are worth it! There are soo many sub-forums maybe you will find one that will fit you... I personally enjoy chicks in control ! and alternachicks. Hope to see you around.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #11  
I Really Want To Lose 50

S/C/G: 229/179/150

Hello Effie,

I agree with CruiseCat. I have much more to lose, but I know it could be worse. The fact that you decided to do something about making yourself feel better is half the battle. You have to learn to do this for yourself alone that way no one can let you down but yourself. I am a stress eater and noticed that early on so I had to deal with that first. Then I noticed that I did not eat like I was suppose to, not just the right foods - but my timing was off. I've tried so many diets and never lost a lb until I discovered Dr. Ian Smiths Extreme Fat Smash Diet that was indeed extreme, but it put me on the right track. I've learned to eat smaller meals more frequent during the day, I learned that my body does not respond very well to all foods since I have a slow metabolish, I learned portion control is everything, and finally I learned that I can lose this darn weight for good. I have done this diet once before when I weighed a whopping 250lbs now I am at 209lbs and am embracing it again to reach my first goal. I am not telling you to use this exact diet, but find one that is a lifestyle change. You have to come away from it with a different mind frame on food and health. I have always been an active person, but I never pushed myself in that area. Lately I've been doing that - I set activity goals, like signing up for all the breast cancer awares and heart disease walks in my area, bike riding with the family, roller skating with the family on a schedule outside of my daily work outs. Surprisingly I discovered that I actually love moving and am a little bit competetive. I must say too, that my husband and eight year old daughter are having a ball with me. Keep it up! As long as you have won half the battle nothing should keep you from pushing forward to win the entire thing.

I wish everyone on the boards nothing but what they desire in their journey of weight loss.

Last edited by Equinata; 11-05-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Equinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

YOU GUYS ARE SO NICE! Ok, now that I've done my little happy scream at the prospect of having people who are in the same boat with me, I just want to say thank you so, so, so much to all of you. I'm really excited to get to know people on this board because you all seem to genuinely nice and supportive which is exactly what I need. I've been going through all of the success stories threads (especially the ones with pictures) and they are truly amazing. If they can do it, so can I. Another huge thank you to all of you fabulous ladies, you made my day a whole lot brighter and now I'm ready to take on whatever heads my way. And maybe I'll stay at the gym just a little bit longer tonight!

Effie
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/246/165

Height: 5'1"

Oh, honey....if I had a dime for every "you've got such a pretty face" comments...

I think we've all been where you are, and some of us are still struggling. We can do this together!
mbsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #14  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsam View Post
Oh, honey....if I had a dime for every "you've got such a pretty face" comments...

I think we've all been where you are, and some of us are still struggling. We can do this together!
UGH! That's the worst.

But when people are mean, you can just say "I may be fat, but I can lose weight and you'll be ugly forever!" LOL bad bad I know!!!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #15  

Height: 5'6

Hi Effie!

I can definitely relate to your situation. I'm a college student as well and I struggle with emotional eating, especially at night. I have just recently joined too but so far it has been helpful in getting back on track! Reading about different people's success stories is really inspirational! I know we can do this and i'm here if you ever need to talk
dreamer11 is offline   Reply With Quote