Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #1  

Height: 5ft 4in

Question desperatly needing advice

Hello to all you lovely ladies!
I am a newbie, and was told by my doc last week that i have a condition called milroys disease that affects my legs (they swell up a lot) and that if i dont lose 140lbs, then i wont be able to walk in 10 years, i am only 25 with 2 young children anyway the problem for me is it is all or nothing, and i would love to try a VLCD but i have no idea of how to go about it, or where i should be looking. I would love to hear from anyone who is on/has been on one of these and all the details of how to get myself on one, and if they really work!

Lots of hugs
Rach x
twinkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Welcome, and sorry to hear about your problems. I'm not sure if you're talking about a very low calorie diet or a very low carb diet when you use VLCD. If you're talking about very low calorie diets then the best advice I can give you really is DON'T! They might be fine when you have a small amount of weight to lose (although I'd probably not even recommend them at that time). When you've got a lot of weight to lose, I know it can feel insurmountable. However, starting at a good healthy calorie level will help you maintain some type of energy level. On very low calories there's a good chance that you won't have enough energy to chase after two kids, and possible depress your immune system.

You only mention what you need to lose, not where you're starting from. At my current weight I eat 2000 calories a day walk about 30-45 mins a day 5 times a week. I also lift weights 3 days a week (but I eat more those days). I'd likely keel over trying to eat 800 cals a day.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Check out our diet plan forums and see if you find a plan that fits your lifestyle. Since your doctor has recommended that you lose weight for medical reasons, maybe he/she can recommend a nutritionist or dietician to help you plan.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi and welcome!

I think that if your doctor recommended that then he'll help you. Until you can see him again, keep reading and getting tips here. You can certainly start cutting back without his help but VLCD??? You'll be better off with some supervision.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote