Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/206/125

Default The first day of the rest of my life starts Monday!

I am twenty nine years old and a mother of two. I weigh 215 at only five foot two. My husband never says anything about my weight negative or possitive. I think he is sick of hearing me talk about any of my new diet ideas. I seem to stick to things for about two days and give up and have a beer and say I'll start again after the weekend. I am hoping to aim for 1200 calories a day. No specific program although I am intrigued by the South Beach diet but want something I know I can stick with. Anybody have any advice? Is the South Beach diet a maintainable diet? Did anyone lose much weight on it? I am glad I found this forum and would love to hear from anybody wanting to offer support and would be happy to support anybody else reach any goals they have set.
JennyK22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Hi there, Jenny!

There is a whole forum here dedicated to the South Beach Diet. Just scroll down to Diet Central and click on the South Beach Diet link

The diet I follow (one I mostly made myself based on calorie counting, research, and good ol' common sense) is a lot like the South Beach Diet, so I definitely think South Beach has some ideas worth looking into. I also think 1,200 is too low of a number to start out with, because 1,200 calories is the lowest you should ever go. If you dip below 1,200 calories a day, you can throw your body into starvation mode, which is never good.

I think you should start out around 1,800 calories a day and go from there. You will still be losing weight. Once you hit a plateau, you can gradually go lower.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #3  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Hi Jenny, and welcome!

Just one question - why not today? Why not see how healthy you can eat on SUNDAY, and then you'll be a step ahead by Monday?

Good luck, there are some unbelievable resources on here. Stick around.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #4  

Your right I think I will start on Sunday and be a step ahead on Monday. Great advice. Shane..... I looked at your pictures and you are an awsome inspiration!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/TICKER/158

Height: 5'5"

I'm a weight watchers girl but have heard amazing things about south beach. Welcome to the fourm and enjoy your stay =)
breathingfumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/195/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi Jenny -

We are both 5'2". I'm new here, too.

I have a friend who lost 70 lbs. on the South Beach Diet. She said that after giving up sugar, she don't crave it any longer.
LunchL8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

jenny...welcome..i definately say take a look around for ideas to help. One thing i will highly caution you is your thought of a 1200 cal a day. At your weight a 1200 cal a day would starve you. Trust me..i know it sounds weird..but go high..calcualte your recommend calories via your weight. I'm currently 174 and i eat 1600-1800 a day. That gives me a 1-2 lb wt loss. And honesly...slow weight loss is important. You can't drop down so drastically otherwise you would probably be eventually tired and give up. Find things to "change your lifestyle" not diet. A diet doesn't work because once you are done, most gain it back because they go to back to old habits. You need to find way to lose weight and be able to keep it off for life. I like calorie counting..but find what works for you...here's a web link to a metabolism counter to figure out how much you should be eating to stil lose weight.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...ulator/NU00598
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #8  

Thank you everyone for the help. I guess I will try for 1800 calories a day. Maybe I would have more luck sticking with it and not feeling defeated.