Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/204/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Mentally ready but struggling, so here I am!

Hello all you 3FCers!

I've been checking out this forum recently, and it seems like just the place for me. I've been struggling with weight issues for around the last four years. My initial weight gain was tied to depression. I went through a year and a half long period of completing withdrawing from my friends, family and responsibilities. I did nothing but eat fast food and sleep for 12 hours a day. I ballooned from 160 to 236 in that relatively short period of time. After I got help for my depression and re-entered my life, the weight started coming off and I'm now down 30 pounds from there.

The problem I'm encountering now is extreme frustration. I feel like for the past couple months I've really been trying to lose weight-- working out five times a week and carefully watching what I'm eating--but the weight just isn't coming off. I know some of the problem is my attitude, and this forum seems like just the positive environment I need. It's so encouraging to know that others have experienced the painful issues associated with a weight problem.

I'm happy to have some support for this journey. I'm excited to be part of this special community.
McLauren84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

McLauren, most of weight loss happens on the plate. Can you give us some idea of what you are eating? Hang in there. You have found a good place and there is support here and answers too.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #3  
Never, never, never quit!

S/C/G: 226.2/213.2/120

from another new 3FCer!

You have come so far & I can totally see how frustrated you are. I hope you'll find the support you need and some helpful answers. I've heard a lot about how bodies can become accustomed to routine exercise and this can lead to slower results. I don't know a great deal about this - but I wonder if variety could help?

I think Thighs Be Gone has a great point as well. It does help to have the boards so we can get a new perspective on what might be going on.

Keep posting!

Strong
ImStrongEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to the forum, McLauren!

I'm with Thighs Be Gone. Let us know if you want us to give you some advice re: your food intake. If we are brutally honest, it's only because we care about you.

Best wishes to you!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #5  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Hello and welcome! The first step to health is to agree that you want it- and you have already made that difficult decision. WHOOHOO! The next step is to research and play around with different ways to make a new, healthy, and PLEASANT lifestyle for yourself. Look around- there are almost as many ways to accomplish this as there are members here, because each plan has to be tailored to your unique body, resources, and health concerns! I agree that the amount, quality, and balance of foods that you give your body is more important for the rate of weight loss than exercise, but a lot of studies show that the people with a regular fitness plan are the ones who stay healthy (and it elvates your mood!) and keep the weight off in the long run, so please continue the good habits that you have already wisely set into motion! Hope to see you around a lot!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #6  
Progress, not perfection!

S/C/G: 132/118/110

Height: 5'0

I just wanted to say hi, from one newb to another.
This does seem like a great place and I'm sure you'll get tons of support through your weight loss journey.

And 30 pounds lost IS a big accomplishment. Be proud of it!
offmyfranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/204/160

Thanks for the input, guys!

I would say a typical day for me looks about like this:

Breakfast: Nonfat greek yogurt with granola and honey or oatmeal and a piece of fruit
Lunch: Lean cuisine meal, a piece of fruit and a 100 calorie snack pack
Snack: 100 calories of almonds
Dinner: A piece of lean protein (chicken, fish, pork) and lots of veggies followed by a 60-calorie pudding or WW ice cream

*Also, I used to attend WW meetings but now I'm just following the plan on my own. I eat 24 points a day.

I usually work out 4-5 days a week, doing around 40 minutes of cardio on the elliptical or treadmill. I've added strength training in the past couple weeks, so we'll see if that helps. I drink 2-3 cans of diet soda a day. I know it's bad--I just don't feel able to give it up. I do try to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day.

I know my diet includes a lot of processed food. I work around 65 hours a week including my commute, so I feel like I don't have enough time or knowledge to include more fresh foods. Does anyone have any suggestions?
McLauren84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #8  
Progress, not perfection!

S/C/G: 132/118/110

Height: 5'0

Do you have a slowcooker? That's a busy person's lifesaver! Seriously, throw in all your ingredients at night when you go to bed, and in the morning, you'll have a hot meal waiting to be put in your tupperware for lunch. (And you can throw one in the fridge too and use those as leftovers during the week).

So easy and inexpensive too, as slowcookers make even the toughest meats tender and soft, so you can buy the cheap stuff.

offmyfranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #9  
snow belle

S/C/G: 175/171/140

Height: 5'8''

Hey Welcome.

I know weight loss is frustrating. On the bright side you lost 30 pounds! Thats amazing.
Maria Alegria is offline   Reply With Quote