Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/190/150

Height: 5'6"

Default I never know how to introduce myself.

I think that one of the hardest things I've had to face recently is that I've gained 35 pounds since the few months before I was pregnant with my first child, Rinoa. I only have one pair of jeans that fit, and they don't really fit right.

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was having trouble getting Rin to sleep and so it was hard for me to want to get out and do things. Now that she's older and sleeping better it's easier. I think it's finally time to do something.

I'm starting simply. I'm trying to cut out all the horribly processed foods that I used to eat and I'm starting to cook again. If I want mac and cheese, I make it from scratch using natural cheese and 1% milk. I cook all my food, try to keep white breads to a minimum, and I'm cutting most sweets out of my diet. I cut store-bought baked goods as well and now make my own. I added soy milk to my diet, 3 small glasses a day, because it seems to make me less hungry during the day if I drink it with my main meals. I've lost so much of the flexibility that I prized (and my boyfriend loved ) and so I'm starting my exercise with nothing more than simple stretching and yoga plus cardio.

I think my major roadblock so far when it comes to losing weight is that I didn't really have a community of people to go to who were in the same boat as me, so I'm hoping to use this place as a sounding board for ideas as well as a place to vent frustration. I'm hoping to come up with some recipes that you guys will love that are healthy and tasty.
Stephanie Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey Stephanie! That was a great introduction!

You may want to check out our "Whole Foods Lifestyle" program...seems like it would be right up your alley! Exercise is great too.

You've definitely stumbled onto the right spot, so stick around! We have groups by age range, lots of miscellaneous clubs, and plenty of folks who stick with more whole foods. And we ALL love sharing recipes.

Can't wait to get to know you better!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

It sounds like you've got a great plan to try and reduce your food intake and eat healthier. And the exercise sounds fantastic

So many people here can identify with wanting to get into shape. Don't hesitate to post wherever you're comfortable.

Best of success!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/252.0/150

Height: 5'7

Stephanie!

Glad you have joined us! Good luck to you!
Kelleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #5  
Waves of Change

S/C/G: 201/178/170

Height: 5' 8", wishing I were 6' 4" :)

Welcome, Stephanie!! You'll love it here
suenami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #6  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! This place is filled with supportive caring people who are all willing to help out in any way possible!
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: atkins 06/ 08

Height: 5'5

you have found yourself a great home ... kick off your shoes and stay awhile. you'll be glad you did
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #8  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Stephanie! to 3FC!

It seems to me like you've done a really good job of analyzing the causes of your weight gain. I expect you'll be very successful in your plan!

We really don't realize how many little things in our day to day life can add up, but they do. I'm still really new here but in just the short time I've been visiting, the chicks have already been a huge encouragement to me. Glad you found us.
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 194/190/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Hey Stephanie! That was a great introduction!

You may want to check out our "Whole Foods Lifestyle" program...seems like it would be right up your alley! Exercise is great too.

You've definitely stumbled onto the right spot, so stick around! We have groups by age range, lots of miscellaneous clubs, and plenty of folks who stick with more whole foods. And we ALL love sharing recipes.

Can't wait to get to know you better!
It's kind of a transition *back* to a whole foods lifestyle. I used to be all about organics, whole foods, and making everything from scratch. Then I had my baby and it all went out the window pretty fast because I was just so tired all the time. Thinking back on it, I may have had a mild case of post partum depression.

Getting back to that type of a lifestyle will allow me to lose weight and still eat good food, which I always worry about. I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about quality food.

I'm looking into getting started with a CSA program next year for the summer which should help me out while I work out the kinks in my own garden. I'm going to be hitting the farmer's market this weekend in Ames to find good produce, and then Wheatsfield Grocery for some olive oil, cheese, and bulk spices. Being a cook makes the diet easier on me I think because I know how to prepare about any food I can get my hands on. Right now I'm trying to find healthier ways to prepare my favorite foods. I have this love affair with shrimp alfredo...

But anyway, thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I hope that by participating here I'll meet some new people and learn some things along the way.
Stephanie Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #11  
47er

S/C/G: 215/191/155

Talking welcome Stephanie

Glad to have you on board. I am a 2 week old newbie. There is alot to chose from. I myself like the 40 something forum being these are woman in my age group facing the same challenges. Hope to see yu there. The is a 20 something forum tooBut no matter what age you are there is alot of support. Just go surfing and see what helps you the most.
Karen

Last edited by dolphinlvr; 08-29-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: wrong info
dolphinlvr is offline   Reply With Quote