Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/210/125

Height: 5'2"

Default New to 3FC, but not to dieting (sigh)

Hello all.

I need help and support to lose weight.

When I got married I was THIN! I weighed 115 pounds and could eat anything I wanted to.

Then with each subsequent child, I put on more weight that just didn't come off.

Now I am facing the unfortunate obstacle of needing to lose an entire person's weight and I am really overwhelmed.

My husband asked me this morning how much I need to lose. I told him I cannot even think that high right now. I want to concentrate on losing 30 pounds to begin with.

My problem is I love to cook, and I am great at it. I have a hard time with feeling like I am depriving myself of delicious foods.

I am thinking of signing up for the Pure Foods Fresh Start program, because their food looks delicious. But right now, we don't have the extra cash needed for that, so I need to just begin on my own.

So any encouragement you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks, and I'm glad I found this site.
irishayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Heya Irish. Welcome to 3FC, remember we're always here to show support and you WILL lose those 30lbs!

I think a love of cooking isn't by any means presenting you from losing weight - in fact most people put on so much weight because they don't cook with fresh ingrediants, or at all. There are many many vegetables and fresh ingrediants that you can cook with and eat a great variety while losing weight.

I look forward to seeing you round the forum. Good luck!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/207/160

Height: 5'3"

Welcome and good luck!!! Remember, it's not necessarily what you eat but how much you eat. I find that I am pretty much eating what I use to eat but my portions are way smaller than they use to be. I eat to avioid being hungry now, no more pigging out. (it's ok to have 2 oreo cookies but a whole sleeve is out of the question). Some things must be substituted like cheese and mayonaise for the lite versions but for me, it's a small price to pay. You can still cook and enjoy it but will probably have to eat less of it and may have to substitute a couple of items.

Last edited by MissieA; 05-03-2008 at 02:37 PM.
MissieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #4  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishayes View Post
Hello all.

My problem is I love to cook, and I am great at it. I have a hard time with feeling like I am depriving myself of delicious foods.
Loving to cook is not a problem but a benefit. For me the minute I think I'm depriving myself of something, I want it. So instead think of this as an opportunity to find new and delicious dishes to make, eat and enjoy. If you love to cook, you probably also love researching new recipes, foods and menus and making new things. Once you've decided what plan of eating will suit you and your family, you can find recipes on the forums, internet and in cookbooks that fit that plan. But on any plan, you'll probably find that you'll be moving toward using more vegetables, and lean sources of proteins. You'll find ethnic flavors to make the most of beans and chicken. You'll find grilling, broiling, and roasting more useful than frying. You'll make fewer baked goods, but the ones you make will have more health in them (whole grains, fiber). You'll find fruits to be tastier. You'll be introducing whole grains and new foods to yourself and your family. Think of it as an adventure in healthy foods. Since you like to cook, you can excel at this.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I, too, look at love of cooking as a huge benefit and advantage. You would be cooking anyway, so just try to make it a bit healthier (less fat, more veggies, etc.). You can still make the same meals - unless you deep-fry everything, there is always room for improvement. I think you are so much better off than people who don't like to cook and then either eat fast food or everything that is pre-fab and comes from the freezer section of the grocery store.
You can do it - good luck with the first 30 pounds!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #6  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote