Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #1  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Default lurker weighs in

I have been reading posts for some time; I especially like the NSV's and the one reason for staying on plan today so I thought I would come out of the shadows.
I started this weight loss/get healthier journey about 2 years ago. I was a chubby kid and I developed earlier than most so I always felt huge but looking back, my BMI in high school was about 23. Throughout my late teens and early 20's I exercised and dieted when I needed to keep my weight between 135 and 145. I even lost down to 127 right before my wedding.
Of course the scale crept up again after but I settled in at about 150. The with DD #1 I put on about 30 pounds, another 30 with the 2nd and you can see where this is going. With 2 kids, busy working Mom, I didn't think I had time for myself so the last 30 I call my "why-bother" weight!
I was camera-shy and mirror-phobic but not unduly bothered by my weight until I turned about 45. Things started hurting, a flight of stair would leave me sucking wind and I had to start meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
Then when my oldest was in college, she decided to spend a semester in Madrid and my younger daughter and I went to visit her. We made a side trip to Lisbon and Lisbon is straight up and straight down--beautiful city but there was one hill on the way back to the hotel (if I close my eyes I feel like I'm still climbing it) that I had to keep stopping to catch my breath. My girls were terrified--afraid I was having a heart attack!
When I got back I decided things had to change. I started walking and I decided to change one habit a month. I had read enough about maintenance that I knew I would have to do this the rest of my life. The first month I started eating breakfast, then I switched out ice cream after supper every night for homemade grape juice popsicles. Switched to whole grains, concentrated on portion control other months and lost about 40 pounds in about a year. Not fast weight loss but steady and not particularly painful. Then about a year ago I got a little lazy with the walking (it got hot here) and started to slip a bit for about 4 months--gained 5 pounds back. I decided if I wanted to get obese off my chart I would have to start counting something. Points are smaller numbers than calories so I joined Weight Watchers in October and have lost 25 lbs on WW, tweaking my earlier "program". I still have 2 rules for myself: no more than 2 new habits a month and I won't do anything to lose weight that I can't do the rest of my life.

poco a poco .
Nada
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #2  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Sounds like some great guidelines. You're really starting with the end game, not the end weight, in mind. Sounds like a recipe for success. Welcome from lurkdom. Hope to hear more from you.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Chickie . . . you are definitely on the right track and you've come to the right place for lots and lots of support and encouragement . . . . . . glad you finally came out of "lurkdom" and decided to join us.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

to 3fc! I was glad to read your post as you seem to have extremely realistic goals and sensible rules that will keep you in it for the long term.

Also, congrats on the weight loss so far!
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #5  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I get jealous reading sometimes about those of you who have lost 90+ pounds in a year but I know from experience that if I try to change everything at once I'm good for about 3 weeks.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #6  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote