Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/214/160

Height: 5'3

Default Introduction

Hi, I'm new to this site, I myself am about 100 lbs overweight. Which started after my first child nineteen years ago. I have been 80 lbs overweight lost it by counting calories and working out seven days a wk. then went back to old habits!! Everyone in my family could stand to loss but I am most concerned with my twelve year old daughter. She has been overweight since around four yrs old. currently she is 276 lbs and about 5 feet 6 inches, I have taken her to obesity doctor and had all the blood testing done and everything came back normal. The doctors have told her if she doesnt lose some weight she is at risk for serveral health problems including death. Nothing seems to get her moving. I have tryed to restrict her eating but then other members of the family alway want chips or snacks that all add up. I have tryed to get her to take swimming lesson , no go! She is somewhat limited in the activities she can do because of her weight and she was born with mild cerebral palsy, she is mainstreamed in school except for math. She has never learn to ride a bike because of weight and balancing issues. I wanted to give weight watchers a try, but she thinks its for old people! I myself have never tryed any weight loss groups or centers. I looking for some advice or direction on how to get myself and her motivated and start getting health any suggestions welcome.
Lashelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi LASHELLE . . . . . . glad to have you joining us. Hope you will find lots of inspiration around here.

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about the problems your poor daughter is having at such a young age. Perhaps the best thing you can do is set a wonderful example for her. When she sees you starting to lose and feel so much better, she's bound to get curious and want to do the same herself.

Other than that, you might inquire of some of the girls in the 20 Somethings Forum and the Teen's Thread (in the Support Groups Forum) about what they think might get her attention.

Good Luck to you both . . . we are hear for you . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hi Lashelle!

I'm a little biased but WW is actually a great & healthy way to lose weight. It's not for "old" people It could be quite the bonding experience for both you & her to attend. I see you've already tried to get her to move more. Is there an activity that you & other members of the family can do together with her? Walking is easy and burns many calories.

About the chips & snacks and whatnot. No one actually needs those. Even those who don't need to lose much. They're not really healthy foods, and could probably be replaced with better things for everyone!

Best of success!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #4  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

ww is awesome
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Lashelle!

Get the chips and pop out of the house. If the other members of the family want them, they can eat them somewhere else. Your daughter's health is far more important than the desires of everyone else.

I've been to WW a number of times when young teens have been there. And you don't have to stay for the entire meeting if it bores her.
Remember... you're the mom. It's important that you provide your daughter with direction, and that she takes it. When she reaches 18... well, that's another matter.

Best wishes to both of you.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote