Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #1  

Unhappy It's time to stop eating.....

I'm new here, and so glad to have found all of you!

I'm 75 - 100 lbs overweight, and finally have to admit it is time to lose it. Honestly, I don't want to have to watch what I eat, and it makes me angry. I have come to depend on food as a emotional crutch to get me through bad days, stress, worry, etc. That has to end!

In general, the rest of my life is fine. I have a supportive husband, two happy, healthy children, and a career I love. I'm very blessed to only have to work part-time - while the children are at school. My only problem is my weight.....

I'm not sure whether I need to figure out why I overeat, or not. Maybe it's just time to STOP using food to stuff my emotions. Maybe I'll never find out why until I stop....

Any advice on finding motivation would be greatly appreciated. I know it's time to stop, but don't know how.....

Thanks!
lotus mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #2  
I will do this.

Hi there!

I know exactly what you mean by emotional eating. I do it too. Food has been my friend for so many years and by watching what I eat I feel like I am loosing that friend.

Food has helped me celebrate wonderful days in my life, comfort me when I am sad and keep me busy while I am bored. I didn't want to loose that.

Now I workout with a personal trainer and working out has become a friend. If I have a bad day at work I walk on the treadmill or lift weights to get out stress. Or even just do some light stretching. After I am done I don't feel like I need to eat.

Food isn't out of my life completely, either. Now, I enjoy preparing and cooking meals. So if I am bored I prepare a wonderful dinner and let it marinate in the fridge. Or when I am hungry I make it a game to see what sort of yummy things I can make with just fruits or veggies.

This is hard I know, but we are all here to support you.

Just keep your head in the right place and take the next step.

-Taylor
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Welcome lotus mummy!! Youve made the biggest step by simply coming here!
I too am an emotional eater, and it does help to maybe think about why you do it, but i find it more helpful to recognise my triggers and try and limit the damage. Im not sure what plan you are hoping to follow, there are lots of forums here with plenty of information on everything! Im not following a plan as such, Im doing low fat and keeping an eye on the calories with some exercise thrown in!
My advice would be to take it a baby step at a time, maybe try switching to skimmed milk this week and taking a short walk each day. Then maybe next week try cutting down on biscuits or chocolate. Its not just a quick fix, these have to be changes you can keep up.
Good luck!! There are plenty of people here to help support and motivate you.
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #4  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #5  
SkinnyGina

Height: FiveSix

Emotional eating is something I as well tackle with everyday. You will find lots of support online with advice for emotional eaters. Finding out why you overeat is important, at least for understanding your triggers. That way you can develop positive behaviors when your are "triggered". One of my biggest pitfalls is boredom. I eat when I am bored. I know its not a strong emotion but boredom for me sure has a strong appetite. I recognize now tha
boredom is a trigger and when I am bored I try my hardest to be active and keep myself away from food. If that is just not possible I try to replace what I eat with fruits and veggies. So if I am bored I eat a baby carrot stick, and i tend to eat less because veggies are great but don't have that taste that keeps me mindlessly eating.

Good luck and I know you can conquer this!!

Last edited by SkinnyGina; 04-02-2008 at 02:37 PM.
SkinnyGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Hi Lotus &

Boy do I know what you mean about being angry having to watch what we eat. I'm sometimes jealous of others who don't have to do it so much. Or those days when it's like all I think is about food... preparing it, eating it, refusing it. Angry, too, that I have to turn to other resources in order to deal with my emotions. Food was there when I was bored, lonely, sad... whenever I needed to fill up a void. It was there to celebrate with, and depend on. It can no longer have that same meaning. And while that's a scary and frustrating thing, I can promise you that it is very freeing. It is for me. I'm beginning to have a healthier relationship with food and what it's actually for.

I've got about another 100 lbs to go, so we're in a similar boat. There's the 100lb club, very active & friendly. There's the Chicks in Control area to help out when we need to discuss our emotional eating. There are groups based on age, too. And under Diet Central there are various programs people are following.

Have a good look around. Post wherever you're comfortable. We're all here for you

Best of success!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #7  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

i just posted a link about emotional eating is Weight Loss Support forum you all should check it out, maybe it will help some!?
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #8  
I will do this.

I read that post on emotional eating and I really liked it. Great hints to tell the difference between the two....sometimes we all need reminding between emotional eating and physical hunger.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #9  

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome. It helps to knows that others feel the same way I do, and that I'm not alone in my struggles.

I have not yet picked a plan.... A few women at work are doing WW. I've joined WW and dropped out many, many times, but I had a huge loss using their program 8 years ago. The bottom line is that I have to find other ways to cope besides eating. No diet will ever work if I keep stuffing my emotions with food.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #10  
CrisV.

Default Right there with you!

Sounds like I could have written your introduction - we're very much alike! I'm doing the Optifast diet right now, simply because I love food so much and I never, ever make the right choices. I'm not stupid - I know what I should eat, I just don't eat it. So this Optifast (which is killing me, by the way) is giving me no choices at all.
It's great to find a support group of women who truly understand. Those skinny girls at work who complain about being five pounds overweight just don't really understand the struggle of someone trying to lose big pounds.
Keep smiling and doing your best. I'm there with you!
Cris
CrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #11  

CrisV: Isn't it an amazing feeling to know that we are not alone? That this is a struggle we can help each other through? Even though I'm not sure how to tackle this, knowing I can turn to others on the board when I need support & inspiration is priceless.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/235/155

Height: 5'6"

singdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #13  

Hi Lotus, You have definitely come to the right place. Welcome. I would say tackling emotional eating isn't an either or issue. It's not like you have to get all of your issues out before losing weight. Once I started working with the kind of therapist who made me feel comfortable and I committed to getting to root of figuring out why I was eating, I started losing weight. I've lost just over 90lbs in less than a year, after trying for several years previous.

The only thing I will say is once you start uncovering why you eat, it can make things more challenging because you no longer are depending on food to cope with your emotions. That's the part the diet programs rarely tell you. But you can do it! And there's awesome support here.

Good Luck!
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/221/120

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!
scoobie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 184/177/145

Oh, I feel you on this one! I eat for all kinds of reasons and it is hard to stop! For me, my daughter is my motivation. My mother was an amazing woman, and an amazing parent. But honestly, she set HORRIBLE examples when it came to food. She struggled w/ her weight all of her life. She overate, ate junk, ate out of boredom, etc.and I learned all of that from her. I have made a vow to not set that same example for my own daughter. It pains me to think that she may grow up having all of the same issues w/ food. Lord knows it's hard enough to be a woman in this society w/out dealing w/ food issues! I'm not naive enough to think that my daughter will never have issues w/ body image, how could she not? But I am going to do everything in my power to model better behavior for her. For me, it's more than the food. It's watching the the things I say about my own body, not obsessing over the scales, etc. In other words, I have way more things to try to change then the amount of food I eat. I've no doubt that it will be a long road.

You said that you are also a mother, so try to remember how much your own children are watching you. It's always nice when we can not only be proud of personal accomplishments, but also our moments of great parenting! Good luck to you. You can do it!

Last edited by beantowngirl; 04-03-2008 at 01:34 PM.
beantowngirl is offline   Reply With Quote