Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/190/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default Happy to be starting this long awaited journey!

I have never used a forum before. I have found useful info on various forums in the past, but never felt a need to join one until now. I really like all the info here and all the possible interaction and support that is available. I have struggled with my weight since the summer of my 8th grade year. Hmmm, sounds like hormones may have a hand here. I love to learn and usually spend a good 2 weeks reading a book about fitness, health or weight loss (often while eating cake) and then feel amped up enough to strike out on the newest concept to health.
But just like my first blog talks about, this time I feel like I'm finally done being fat. I want to feel good in my own skin and that the outside matches the personality that is always feeling hampered.
I know that many women struggle with self image issues, but it's kinda funny because in my own mind, I am much slimmer and fit than the person I see in mirrors and photos. I'd like to have those images match up better and have the energy to do all the things that pop into my head.
2006 was the most horrible year of my life, but it is also the reason that so many things have changed and transformed in my life. I am now on a journey and pursuit to find beauty. I have read so many books and know what I believe to be true about health and well being, so I guess my guidelines are as follows.
Eat low starch veggies
Whole grain carbs
lean meat
support body's ability to detox
move my body
I guess I'm trying not to stick to just one book's plan, because I always get all sidways on following it to the T instead of just living it out in the real world.
Instead of asking if what I'm eating or doing is on the ok list, my newest question is.... Will this lead me to beauty?

Looking forward to sharing the journey here on the forums and on my blog!
P.S. How do I get one of those cool weight tracker time line thingies?
beautypursuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #2  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to 3FC!

On the weight tracker, you have to be a member for 30 days AND have posted at least 30 posts, then that option will be available to you. Apparently, there was some trouble with spammers making use of that feature.

It's funny you should say that about your image in the mirror versus how you feel and think about yourself. I am the same way, but I thought I was just an anomoly, since as you say, it seems to be the other way around for a lot of people. I've never felt "obese", but I sure can see it, especially in pictures.

Anyway, hope to see you around the boards! You might like to check out the Calorie Counters forum, because that's one thing a person can do with any food and make their own plan. The Exercise forum is another good one, and all over the forums, you will see "Challenge" threads, and those can be fun/motivational, as well as a great way to make some more personal connections and get to know some names/faces on the board. Of course, any place you feel comfortable, just jump right in!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-18-2008 at 01:04 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hey Beauty

I guess my question to you would be: How do you define beauty?

Have a look around! Post wherever you're comfortable.

Best of success!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #4  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi and

This isn't my first time on a WL forum, but its my favorite ! I really like the atmosphere here, and think it has been a big part of my success so far. I originally joined here way back when, but have really only been active since end of last year.

I understand what you are saying about the mirror and your self-image not lining up. I sometimes see a mirror, and am like - well, thats not me... Not literally of course, but the me I see in my mind does not match up with the reflection me, for sure.

I'm so glad for you that you feel like this time is different! Sometimes its like that, like one day a switch is flipped and you are done being fat. 'Course you still have to do the hard work to become the non-fat, but thats the journey I guess.

I like Faerie's question! What does beauty mean to you? Glad to meet you, and hope to see you around often! I think jamsk8r's advice is spot on, you kinda have to explore the forums until you find the one that feel like "home"
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #5  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Good Luck to you... this is a great place for support and a lot of very inspirational stories.. I'm new and already addicted to coming in every night.

They may have changed things re: the weight ticker, I got mine after 30 posts, I haven't been here 30 days yet... check the user control panel after you post 30 times... "edit signature" might be there, ... Good Luck
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

I think that you can only consider yourself beautiful when you become truly happy with yourself. It's not just a weight issue, although that can play a large part. I think that not only losing the weight, but working on the issues that created your weight problem in the first place is the only thing that can lead to true happiness, which in turn can lead to truly feeling beautiful.

Thanks, you gave me something to think about there!

Good luck on your journey!

-Liz.
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #7  

Default I LOVE all the feedback!

I really really like all the comments to my post. Thanks so much for taking the time to do so. As for the question of what I think beauty is... I guess I forgot to include that part. I had posted a blog on that subject earlier in the day and I guess I forgot to include that here as well

I specifically chose my user name to spark such a conversation. I know that beauty is definitely defined in many different ways in today's culture. My pursuit is to have total beauty in my life. I want to see beauty in all it's forms and ultimately to see it within myself. I believe that I have been created in the image of "The" Creator and that He is beauty defined. I believe that He is romancing us with the beauty that is all around us and in us.

I love taking pics (like the one that's my avatar). On my journey this year, I want to become aware of the beauty that exists all around me.

Their is beauty in nature, in art forms, in people, in what kids say, in how my husband looks at me, in how I impact those around me....

My definition of beauty is definitely wide scoping and I want to be aware of including it all areas of my life. Here are some goals to add beauty to my life...

• I want to put more art on my walls, including pics of family and friends
  • I want to get out in nature more to feed my soul on the sights and sounds of water, birds and flowers
  • I want to be a kinder more nurturing mother
  • I want to be a supportive, lovely vixen to my husband
  • I want to impact other women for good

Beauty inspires!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMeantWell View Post
I think that you can only consider yourself beautiful when you become truly happy with yourself. It's not just a weight issue, although that can play a large part. I think that not only losing the weight, but working on the issues that created your weight problem in the first place is the only thing that can lead to true happiness, which in turn can lead to truly feeling beautiful.

Thanks, you gave me something to think about there!

Good luck on your journey!

-Liz.
I am totally on board with you in regards to dealing with the reasons I am overweight to begin with. I have been an emotional stuffer my entire life and in 2006, that stopped working for me. Since then I am aware that I need to learn how to process new and old emotions healthily... I just haven't figure it out yet.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #9  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote