Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Default PCOS!! Who else has it?

I'm new and have a new lease on life!

Since high school I've gone from 135 to 220lbs (my highest 5 years ago) and gained about 10lbs per year. My periods weren't regular and they were almost nonexistent from 1999 til now. The doctors just said my body had to regulate itself. So I went on all different birth control pills to regulate my cycle and gained a ton of weight with each pill! Then the doctors told me that BC pills don't make you gain weight. Yeah right! Well about 2 years ago I started getting scary symptoms- my hair was thin on top of my head and my facial hair was VERY black and thick. I did some research on the internet and found these were all symptoms of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I HOUNDED the doctors until they agreed to send me to an endocrinologist, who in the end said "you are a walking symptom! How did no one catch this?" and she diagnosed me.

I've read so much about PCOS since then, and finally came to terms with it this weekend. TEN PERCENT of women have this condition!!!!! It causes depression and low self-esteem because of the ugly symptoms (facial hair, female balding, weight gain, carb and sugar cravings). I just want to yell on a mountaintop that finally FINALLY "it wasn't my fault!!!!" There was a reason why when I eat pasta (white or whole grain) I can't stop; when I eat pancakes I'm hungry an hour later; and eating pizza will make me crave it for the next 48 hours. I'm not a normal person! But realizing I'm not normal is freeing me!!!

Here are my new rules to treat my condition: (first, I ditched the pill!) I have to do at least an hour of cardio per day to keep my hormones in check; I CAN NOT eat sugar or grains (except oats and yams, which support hormonal function); eating sugar or grains stresses my insulin levels which makes my hair follicles contract, which makes my hair fall out! That cake or cookie or pasta will make my hair fall out. Who knew?

I'm also taking an MSM supplement (natural sulphur that should be present in our body but nutrient deficiencies in our soil are preventing us from getting this from produce) and this should make my hair grow like crazy (only been on it for 3 days so far).

My daily treat is a block of dark chocolate sweetened with low-glycemic sugar alcohol. It tastes like a dream!

So anyway, I kinda just typed randomly above, but there are so many undiagnosed women out there, and doctors are not helping them. If anyone else is overweight, having some period issues, or issues with androgyny (symptoms of male hormones) please get yourself checked out by an ENDOCRYNOLOGIST. Other doctors most likely will blow you off. Once you are diagnosed and give up the sugar and grains, and start exercising every day, things will change. They most likely will want to put you on scary meds for diabetics and high blood pressure meds, but don't let them. This must be fixed with diet and exercise!

I am so excited. I'm entering a 12-week challenge today for Global-Fitness.com and can't wait to see what results I can achieve! Anyone who has any comments on this I'd love to hear from you! I hope I can help other women suffering from something that isn't their fault. I wish someone would have told me back in high school when all this started. Now we can fix it!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi and welcome!

Do we have a great place for you!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Go ... enjoy!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: too much/a lot less

I also have PCOS. I've known about it for nearly 3 years now, and I hate it!! My mom always hounded me about my weight, and I could never do anything about it!! I played sports, and ate right, and she forced diet pills down my throat, and finally I went to the doctor..

I was given medicine for it, but it made me very sick... It didn't help with the depression (which I suffered from for also 6 years) or the dark hairs (which I have to bleach) or the weird food cravings (Mac and cheese, please!), or the BALDING, so I quit taking it..
I started noticing a bald spot when I was 19.. I was 3 months away from my 20th birthday, and 4 months away from my wedding, and I had a bald spot.. I had to wear my hair up to hide it!! It wasn't very large, but it still really bothered me..

I hope that anyone who thinks they may have this gets it checked out!! Sometimes its really not you're fault!!

-cHuNkYcHeLsEa*
chunkychelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #4  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I'm going to be tested for it on monday. We've been trying for a baby for awhile..so If I have it, I'm hoping to be put on some sort of meds to help me concieve.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #5  

Wow I had no idea there was a PCOS forum on here! Thanks so much for showing me!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #6  

I know isn't it annoying? It's like, there are clearly women who are overweight b/c they eat fried food and carbs every day, but then there was me who never touched that stuff, and was still around 200lbs! I can't even eat whole wheat grains. I'm just cutting it out completely. Now there's an awesome store called Trader Joe's here in Pennsylvania. They make an Oat breakfast muffin that is amazing! That's my only grain for the day, and it's made of oats so it keeps me full and tastes naughty! But I've come to realize that I just can't eat like someone who doesn't have it. I'm different and I need to eat different. My boyfriend makes mac and cheese all the time but I swear the next time I see him making it in front me I'm gonna slug 'im (lovingly) I told him to treat me like a recovering alcoholic. He can't eat sugar or carbs around me. We don't live together so whenever he's at his place without me he can eat anything he wants.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #7  

If you do have it (which I hope you don't!) I'm glad you are finding out so you can fix it. My friend has it and got pregnant on fertility drugs very quickly, so I hope it works for you! And cutting out the sugar and grains (except oats and yams) have me feeling great, so maybe that would help, too.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #8  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

In a way, I think I'll be relieved to know that I have it, because we want a baby so much. It would be like, finally an answer to why we've been having problems. But if I dont have it, then it'll be even more frusterating. Either way, I'll be going on fertility drugs.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:28 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Michelle, welcome to the forum!
I wish we had Trader Joe here in Canada. They sound like great stores.
I'm glad you're finding your way around... you'll meet so many wonderful people here.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote