Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/237.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy In The Dumps - Need Weight Loss Friends

Hello all -

A little about me...I've always been overweight, but nearly a year ago I committed myself to changing my life. I gradually altered my eating habits knowing that small incremental change would be more sustainable for me than the 'cold turkey' approach. Now, 10 months later my eating habits are really clean. In July, I incorporated exercise - by far my biggest challenge! I engaged a trainer once a week. Due to age, thyroid challenges, and most notibly not consistently exercising throughout the week my progress has been slow and steady. I've lost just over 50lbs since July when I finally had the courage to weigh myself (291 at the time - assuming 300-305 when I started).

So, that's all really positive and since the beginning of the year I've been very consistent with food and exercise. Why in the dumps? I just got back from vacation and saw the photos. I knew they wouldn't be great, but the shock of how poorly I still look has really knocked me off my feet. I'm telling myself all the right things, journaling my thoughts, and fighting through this obsticle without using food or alcohol to mask the pain. But I'm on the verge of crying almost every moment of the day. I don't know how to do this. Has anyone gone through this? What helped you?
cw61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Don't be in the dumps! We're here for you!

You've just let your focus slip. We all do it. Turn your eyes back to what you've done. It's amazing! Do you realise what 50 lbs is?! You are amazing.

Read around 3FC some. The goal threads are lovely! Make yourself at home. Read, post. Remember that you are not alone. If there's anything you need, just ask!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/207/165

Height: 5'7

Hello, Im so proud of you for loosing 50 pounds!!! That is an amazing thing you did and you should not be down on yourself. I have started and stopped so many times and I finally realized that it is a lifetime commitment to changing your entire life. If I would have just stuck it out the first time I joined WW then I would have already been at my goal. Its not easy, in fact its the hardest thing I have ever done. Good luck and here is a quote from my WW lady that I say over and over in my head when im tempted with yummy food. "Nothing taste's as good as thin feels"
bude78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

CW -

Have you ever roasted a Thanksgiving turkey? You know, the ones that are so heavy that you have to heave them with all of your strength out of the refrigerator and take care not to drop the pan when you take them out of the oven? Those turkeys are usually in the 15-20 lb range. That means you've lost between 2 and three of them, total. Need more mental images? Go find someone with a 50 lb weight, or go to your gym. Try to lift it.

You've made such amazing progress...don't let yourself be brought down because you're not quite where you want to be yet. If you are working toward getting there, that is enough!

Stick around here and settle in. You may want to visit over at the 100 lb club - it is such a great, supportive group of people, and there are definitely people who understand the double-edged sword that is weight loss of over 100 lbs (ie, the feeling when you lose 25 lbs that, while that is great and all, you've got 75 lbs to go and it feels like a long way away).

Settle in and post. Can't wait to get to know you better.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

cw you have to use that feeling to motivate yourself. You don't want to look like that anymore which is why you have made the changes you have and you are on your way to a better you!! %0 pounds is nothing to sneeze at!!

You can do this! Focus on what you are doing right. What hlps me most is being part of different challenges because then I have something specific to focus on and when I achieve I feel good abotu myself!!

Why don't you check out the challenge forum and see if anything sounds intersting to you!! You ahve done a great job and are well on your way!! Keep up the good work!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Ps you are lucky you have all those photos from yoru trip ...they will become your befores!!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

find picture of you before you lost weight. I bet you can see a big difference in them . You are on your way girl keep it up.
You dont need to be upset. It takes time to lose weight and you didnt gain it over night. Just think the 50lbs you have lost are gone forever!!! That is awesome!!
debi
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #8  

WOW 50lbs!!! that is amazing. so many people can't accomplish what you already have done. be proud of yourself!

that said, i understand how frustrating it can be when you've lost weight but still feel overwhelmed with how much you still have left to lose. then the more you dwell on it the more upset you get. it's hard to pull yourself out of that. we've all been there, some of us more intensely that others.

one thing that has helped me is having a support system. i have found that on this site. not only can you browse other threads for advice, but you can ask questions and ask for help like you have already done! so you've taken the first step. there a lot of people in the same situtaion as you. you are not alone! we are here to help.

it also makes me feel better about myself to reach out to others giving advice and encouragement from my own experience. the give and take of support on this site inspires me. the more time i spend here reading and writing, the less time i spend dwelling on failures or disappointment. browse the site and get inspired!
countrygirl7902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #9  
banned

just think of what you liked 50 lbs ago!

congrats!!
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Hey there!!!!

I think the above posts all said it right. 50 lbs, hun. Focus on the fact that you've lost 50 lbs. It's really amazing.

YOU LOST 50 POUNDS! You CAN lose the rest!!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #11  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Oh sweetie! Be proud!! It was the pictures of my honeymoon that got me inspired to do what I am doing. Vacation pictures can be a wonderful thing. Just imagine another vacation in the future, when you'll see the progress. 50 lbs is amazing. I only want to lose 40 total, and to think you have lost more than that already, and to think of how daunting my own journey seems, it makes you all the more inspirational to me. I really hope you appreciate all the hard work you have done to get to where you are. It's amazing!!!!!!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #12  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I know you feel down at the moment honey but I'd just like to say congratulations on your progress so far!
Losing 50lbs is an AMAZING achievement and you should be so proud of yourself for that.
You will get to your goal, you just need to keep doing what you're doing (because it is quite obviously working!) and keep focusing on being positive. It's hard sometimes to focus on the positives but you've just got to hang on in there.
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 297(135) / 218(99) / 176(80)

Height: Just shy of 6'

I have to chime in and reiterate what everyone's said here - you may not be happy with how you looked in the photos, but that doesn't change the fact that a 50lb weight loss is fantastic!

Just compare to how you looked 50lbs ago and think how fantastic you'll be 50lbs from now.

I know how easy it is to get disheartened by photos; I've been feeling quite good about my weight loss to date, but when I see photos I always feel like I've been punched in the gut, because at the end of the day, I still need to lose a good 20kg (44lbs) just to get out of the 'obese' category, and photos make me aware of how far I still have to go.

All I can say is: you have the right mindset - you're making changes that will see you through for a lifetime, and you're losing weight slowly and steadily. You're doing everything right, and if you keep going on that way, you're going to get exactly where you want to be. Just don't let the little bumps slow you down.
AussieDaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I could have written your post myself in November last year and did in fact only I posted the evidence with a 'before' and 'during' photographs. You might like to see them in the mini-goal album section. I got a lot of great feedback which made me continue and I intend updating those pictures very soon with a further 25lb lost.

I'm so glad I didn't give up as I have done in the past (50ish lbs has always been my sticking point) because I know from too much bitter experience that if I stop there I'll soon be back up to 290lb which is not where I want to be.

You might also like to read my Non-scale Victory which I posted at the weekend about getting into some jeans that I didn't get into 5 years ago when I gave up having lost 50ish lbs. That victory would not have happened if I had allowed my vacation photos play with my mind.

Hope this helps

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 02-26-2008 at 07:51 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #15  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to the forum!
Wow, 50 pounds is amazing! Your heart alone must be thanking you for dropping that weight. Don't fret over the "looks of things". You'll suddenly notice changes, and I'll bet other people see them now.

Last edited by ellis; 02-26-2008 at 08:39 AM.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote