Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Hello!

I've been reading here for some weeks now, and thought it was time I joined. Maybe if I join the team here, it will help me get motivated again to lose some weight.

Growing up I was a skinny thing, probably underweight for most of my life. Then I got married to a wonderful man, went to work full-time, had children. I didn't lose enough weight between my births, no longer got much exercise, spend a lot of time behind a computer. The pounds started creeping up. Two years ago I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. The medication they put me on tore up my stomach and so I was eating constantly to stop the burning sensation. Between that and the steroids, I put on 40 more pounds on top of the 40 I already wanted to lose. The arthritis keeps me from being able to do much heavy exercise--knees are in bad shape, hands are grim, feet are painful. I'd love to try water aerobics, but we live out in the country and I have two children at home--it's difficult to find a couple hours for myself. Heart disease runs in my family, so losing weight could certainly help me live longer.

In general, my diet is pretty good. I don't drink coffee or soda, I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, drink a lot of water, don't eat much red meat. However, I love carbs, especially hot carbs right out of the bread machine with real butter...mmm. Anything sweet is also a problem.

My only non-negotiable food is my morning mug of hot tea, with one spoonful of real sugar and skim milk. Other than that, I could even give up chocolate.

My goal is to lose 80-100 pounds. It would help my joints to get the weight off, and help my heart. I want to be able to go do things with my family again.

Other than that, there's not much to say. I have two wonderful loving kids, I enjoy music, creative writing, animals, reading, and computers.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all, and the fun supportive community you have here!

*waves*
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi and welcome!

I'm glad to see that you are already making your way around the boards at 3FC. Remember that if there's anything you need ... just ask.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Darkblue... We're so glad to have you join us.
I hear you re: bread and butter. I could live on that and nothing else. Well, that and coffee.

Is walking difficult for you? Can you work in even a 10 minute walk a day to start? Just making small changes can make a huge difference in the long run.

Last edited by ellis; 02-18-2008 at 10:27 AM.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #4  

Ellis and Susan, thank you for your welcome!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:58 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Hey Darkblue!!!

Please remember that while this is your health, and you must certainly lose it for you, you also have to keep your family in mind. Don't they, too, deserve to have a healthy mom who will live longer with them?

Taking time to yourself is essential to being a healthy human being. It's not selfish, or rude. Just schedule it, like anything else.

Looks like you've already been posting around! Excellent

Have you decided what changes you're going to make to lose weight? It'll take effort and it'll often be "inconvenient" but you can do this! Just make it a priority.

Best of success!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Have you decided what changes you're going to make to lose weight? It'll take effort and it'll often be "inconvenient" but you can do this! Just make it a priority.

Best of success!!!
I'm reading the Superfoods book right now, and am going to incorporate as many as I can into my diet, as often as I can. Meal planning in advance is probably where I really need to work--it's just so easy to stop somewhere on the way home, and that means far too many calories. We're (DH and I) looking into buy a home gym/weight set for my son, that I can also use if I'm careful.

I really just need to quit eating so much and increase my activity level. *sighs* Easier said than done, but I'm trying! Thanks for saying hello!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #7  

You could join us in a daily accounting thread. Each day we count up and post the number of superfoods we eat. It's kinda fun and it'll give you ideas how to fit more superfoods into your day.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134782
Old 02-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #8  
Bite Sized Version of Me

S/C/G: 234/175/145

Height: 5'6"

HI everone, I've posted on other threads but the first time here. My name is Kari, I'm 30 , mom of 3 and am getting married in June. Need to lose 30 lbs by then, so here I am looking for support and willing to give it back in any way I can. I'm curious about these Super Foods? What are they, where do I find info on them?
Thanks for your help.
kari a go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #9  

Kari ... here's a link that might help you.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90444

The book is probably in your library. and goggling 'superfoods rx' will work too.

Come join us in that thread with the link in my last post. Glory is wonderful to help.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
You could join us in a daily accounting thread. Each day we count up and post the number of superfoods we eat. It's kinda fun and it'll give you ideas how to fit more superfoods into your day.
Thanks, Susan, I think I will. At this point I'll probably be moving superfoods into my menus, and start reducing the other stuff.

Kari, I found the first book at the library. Didn't know there was a second, but will find it next. It's a very easy to read book, has a lot of practical suggestions. I like the tone of it--no threats, no condescencion, just advice, alternatives, recipes, shopping tips, research.