Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #1  

Default I hit 291 lbs and decided enough! Need buddies!

Hello from Ohio. 3 weeks ago I got on the scales after the holidays and realized I had gained about 8 pounds to a whopping 291! I have been making excuses for a long time now about why I can't find time to exercise but this time I decided enough is enough. ( Not that I don't have good reasons with 2 small children 14 months apart) I carved out 1-2 hours before work on Tuesdays and Thursdays and joined a Y that is close to my work. I have been going for 3 weeks now and can really feel it in the muscles that have not been used since 1989. However, to my horror, I got on the scales after 3 weeks and I had actually gained 3 more pounds. I have sleep apnea and use a breathing machine at night, I have high blood pressure, I am pre-diabetic. I need help!!! I know there must be others in the same boat or who have been in the same boat, please give me your golden words of wisdom and hints. I get depressed and scared sometimes. I have a huge road to hoe to get to 225-230 pounds.
officmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #2  

Height: 5'1"

Hi, You're off to a good start, joining the Y and getting some exercise. Now you need to add the dieting part. They work so much better together. There are lots of good diets out there, just find one you can stick with for the long term. Fad diets just don't do that. Anything that eliminates a whole food group just isn't healthy and doesn't work in the long run. WW is good, they teach portion controle and focus on healthy food. But, I'm not pushing WW. Actually, I just count calories, and make sure that the ones i'm getting are healthy ones.

Good luck, You can do this. Have you looked into any of the groups here? There are some really good ones. I'm in the +50 bunch, the Golden Girls. But there are lots of others that are supportive and I'm sure you can find one that you are confortable with.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #3  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

Hi there! I thought I would pop in and say ello ello because fear is what motivated me to start on a weight loss regimen as well. I started looking into a WLS and scared myself into a better lifestyle which is going well thus far. try not to get depressed and keep a positive outlook and things will work out. I have found that joining a forum or 2 and writing in a blog daily has helped keep me on track as well as I am learning how to control bad eating habits and how to get healthier. if you need support please don't hesitate to ask and there are plenty of people on this forum that are willing to listen and or help you out with the support. Good luck with your new lifestyle and remember if you need a shoulder don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or a message on my blog.

As Ever
Me
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #4  
going, going, gone!!!!

S/C/G: 157/146.5/135

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations on jumping your first big hurdle...getting started is the hardest part! I agree now that you have yourself moving find a good eating plan that teaches better choices, portion control and healthier eating. I needed to change the way I think about food, I am an emotional eater! Stress was my #1 cause, but I also ate when I was depressed, happy (you gotta celebrate)...I always thought, "well I deserve that, I've had a hard day, or a good day) there was always a voice saying you can have that. So I started reading the Beck Solution and it has really helped me find a different more beneficial way of thinking. And then being here gives me another way to vent, cheer, be involved and I find that I am cheating less, working out more, wanting to be better for me. So I wish you lots and lots of kuddos on your new way of life, there really is nothing like it....you've come to the right place!
thisrlipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #5  

Default we are in the same boat friend

Read your post and was wondering if I was reading my own!!!! So, I wanted to respond and let you know you are not the only one. I also joined the gym. I also gained or maintained my weight. What is up with that???!!! Muscle?
fallendreamangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #6  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hiya officmgr

The holiday wake-up calls can be the hardest! It sounds like you have a really good understanding of what you want to accomplish and the challenges you will face, please come here often for help - the folks here are really good at that!

It also sounds like you've had some base-line tests done, which I think is great. Are you working with a doctor? My doc is helping me address my health and weight management issues. She has made some fabulous reccomendations and I'd be happy to share (in generic form) with you what she's suggested for me.

I count my calories everyday and keep a food journal. I use a general 10-week food and exercise journal published by Calorie King. I have a specific calorie target which is based on my metabolic rate and my weight loss goals. There are calculators out their that can help you estimate your BMR (basal metabolic rate) or RMR (resting metabolic rate). This can help you figure out how many calories you should eat a day on average to achieve weight loss. I try to reduce my food intake by no more than 500 calories a day below my actual calorie requirement. This will allow me to lose about a pound a week. Anymore that I want to lose I try to accomplish through exercise - the extra calories I burn speed up my losses.

My doc also has me wear a really simple pedometer and try to get in 10,000 steps a day. Exercise seems to be going well for you which is awesome - I really struggled with that. One thing I'd mention is a quote from my calorie counter - "While aerobic fitness requires only 3-4 sessions weekls, weight control is a daily event which requires daily exercise" Even if its just 10-15 minutes walking, it will help.

To keep myself from getting hungry I drink plenty of water throughout the day. My journal even has little glasses I can check off to make sure I get 8 cups a day or more. Which reminds me (heads off to the water cooler).

Thats pretty much what I'm doing. After having tried too many diets in the past I'm trying to keep it simple. Good luck, and keep up the great work.
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #7  

Default needing motivation

greetings my name is angela in nc. I slacked off this past week and didnt excersize or nothing. I need will power and motivation. Am i the only one who slacks off like this. I feel so guilty and ashamed.
i did receive an application to my local ywca so hopefully if i can get my grandmother to take her water arobics as i do teh gym thing maybe that will motivate me. For now, i am going to start with three days a week for 30 min until i build up my stamina ( least i heard that was best to do for beginners )

does anyone know of any natural weight loss pills that work. I guess sometimes besides weight watchers i want to take the fast and easy way out. lol

your friend
angela in nc
ps is there anyone out there who is on zoloft or risperidone. does it hinder your weight loss or make it harder.
pudin27263 is offline   Reply With Quote